Favorite Works for Two Pianos

B. Goren.

Having already held a discussion about our favorite works for solo piano, It's time to find out what are your favorite pieces written for two pianos, or one piano with 4 hands?

I'll start with 3 pieces:

1. Mother Goose (Ma mère l'oye), Maurice Ravel‏.

2. Cinderella Suite, Prokofiev.

3. The 4 hands version of "The Right of Spring", Igor Stravinsky.

Assuming arrangements are OK, I'm really fond of these piano four-hand arrangements of two Mahler symphonies...

Mahler 6, arranged by Alexander von Zemlinsky

Mahler 7, arranged by Alfredo Casella

And I since I file this in with my classical CD's (and feel it's right at home in that section), I'll also mention...

Anthony Braxton, Opus 95 for two pianos (Arista, 1980 - from the recent Mosaic)

There's also a TON of Brahms arrangements for piano four-hands (done by Brahms himself), of all his symphonies, both piano concerti, and maybe a dozen other multi-movement chamber works. I have about half of them on various Naxos CD's, and they're lots of fun (particulary for the works with themes I really know by heart).

Liszt also did solo-piano arrangements of all of Beethoven's symphonies, except the ninth - which is for two pianos, and lots of fun.

How about Ives' piece(s?) for two pianos, tuned one quarter-tone apart?

There's also a similar piece I remember by John Corigliano, where the conclusion ends with the the famous "doxology" theme, with each fragment of the famous melody stated in segments that go up in quarter-tone increments. Hard to explain in words, but imagine this (where each "^" means the tonality of the melody goes up one quarter tone)...

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow" (
^
"...blessings flow").

^
"Praise Him, all creatures here below" (...
^
"here below")

^
"Praise Him above, ye heav’nly host" (...
^
"ye heav'nly host")

^
"Praise Father, Son,
^
and Holy Ghost"

...or something like that. The whole thing speeds up too, so it sounds like a tape recording going faster and faster and faster. :excited:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 5 weeks later...