Bill Barron - A Swedish American Venture

JSngry

...because Bill Barron was a no-bullshit kind of guy.

barron_bill_swedisham_101b.jpg

Quoth Da' Bastids: http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=mnwxp9t75c&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dbill%2Bbarron%26amp%3Bincl_oos%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Two decades' worth of music from the mighty Bill Barron – all of it great, no matter what the vintage, and recorded by Swedish Radio in a variety of different formats! Some sides are straight, others are quite experimental – and Barron's given plenty of freedom to try out new ideas here, possibly even more than on some of his studio sets from the time. Settings include a large group from 1966, a 1966 quartet with Jan Wallgren on piano and Rupert Clemendore on drums, and quartets with Lars Sjosten on piano, from the years 1966, 1979, and 1984 – including one date that also features Barron on melodica! The recording quality is great throughout, and the 75 minute package is a real testament to Bill's continuously creative energy over the years – far past the initial moments of brilliance shown by some of his 60s contemporaries. Titles include "Variations In Blue", "In & Out", "Celestial Body", "A Swedish American Venture", "Through The Looking Glass", "Flip Flop", "Time Motion Space", and "Jazz Caper".

Giving it a first listen now, and if you dig Bill Barron, you will definitely want this most worthwhile issue. DG is currently out of stock, so either look elsewhere or put it on your Want List there.

I picked this up when it was first issued a few years ago. Excellent music! What is also interesting is to hear alternate versions of a couple of compositions that appeared on other recordings.

Now if we can just get a CD reissue of the 1972 Savoy recording, Motivation, I would be a happy man.

Attn: Mosaic - Bill Barron would make a fine box, either Select or big box. How about a big box collecting Barron and Curson recordings alone and together? I'll buy it, so only 4999 others to go.

Send Cuscuna an email; he'll respond. I'm afraid one of the bigger issues is not how important the artist is, but how to organize and handle the legal manipulations of cross-label material.

Attn: Mosaic - Bill Barron would make a fine box, either Select or big box. How about a big box collecting Barron and Curson recordings alone and together? I'll buy it, so only 4999 others to go.

make that 4998 - I'd jump at a Bill Barron box (Select or a "Big" one)

love his sound

Send Cuscuna an email; he'll respond. I'm afraid one of the bigger issues is not how important the artist is, but how to organize and handle the legal manipulations of cross-label material.

I didn't have much luck with a Joe Harriot Box suggestion (last year) - never got a reply back from Michael

I saw Barron in 1964 in Copenhagen, IIRC with Kenny on piano. Made an impression on me then though I can't really claim to remember it well. Didn't he play with Ted Curson a lot in the mid-sixties?

The group in Copenhagen was Ted Curson, Bill Barron, Herb Bushler (bass), Dick Berk (drums), no piano so Kenny Barron was not with group, who was playing a three week gig at Jazzhus Montmartre.

Vic

I saw Barron in 1964 in Copenhagen, IIRC with Kenny on piano. Made an impression on me then though I can't really claim to remember it well. Didn't he play with Ted Curson a lot in the mid-sixties?

The group in Copenhagen was Ted Curson, Bill Barron, Herb Bushler (bass), Dick Berk (drums), no piano so Kenny Barron was not with group, who was playing a three week gig at Jazzhus Montmartre.

Vic

I'm sure you're right but I don't remember Curson who I'd seen a lot in Montreal around then. This was the summer of 1964. (I don't remember a lot things from 1964.)

How much Barron never made it to CD? Or Curson for that matter? What needs doing? I know some of it was maybe only around in Japanese issues...

It seems that most Bill Barron never made it to CD, at least in the West. As a leader, there are Hot Line (with Booker Ervin), Motivation, Variations in Blue, West Side Story Bossa Nova, the Brasileros Bossa Nova. Even Modern Windows was only released on CD in highly abridged form (The Modern Windows Suite). I have never heard Snake Johnson with Curson, and don't recall that one being on CD either

How much Barron never made it to CD? Or Curson for that matter? What needs doing? I know some of it was maybe only around in Japanese issues...

It seems that most Bill Barron never made it to CD, at least in the West. As a leader, there are Hot Line (with Booker Ervin), Motivation, Variations in Blue, West Side Story Bossa Nova, the Brasileros Bossa Nova. Even Modern Windows was only released on CD in highly abridged form (The Modern Windows Suite). I have never heard Snake Johnson with Curson, and don't recall that one being on CD either

Thanks John. West Side Story *is* on CD and still in print. As you say, there is only 1.5 Savoys on Western CD though three came out from Japan (nice!). I suppose the problem is that this missing stuff cuts across so many labels, and some of the Savoy and Muse is still in print.

By the way, why is this thread in New Releases?????

I sent Jonathan Horwich a listening copy of Motivation about a year ago, and he said he might consider reissuing it. If more of us got behind it, who knows ...

The U.S. packaging of Modern Windows (Suite) is frustrating for sure. There was enough room, of course, to reissue both Modern Windows and The Tenor Stylings of on one compact disc, but as Orrin Keepnews was the reissue producer ... well, we know how that ends up. Then, as if to say "ha ha!" like that kid on the Simpsons, Keepnews included a bonus track ("Desolation") that can't be found on any Japanese edition. I downloaded it from Amazon so that I didn't have to purchase the U.S. edition.

I haven't heard the release that's the reason for this thread. Barron is a favorite of mine, however. He spent a brief period with Mingus (1961-62?) that went unrecorded.

Another fan here. Let's not forget his work with Cecil, both Love for Sale and the amazing 1965 Newport set on Wolfgang's Vault with BB and Jimmy Lyons. The BB/Curson material is all worthwhile, and Hot Line is another favourite. Another vote for a CD reissue of Motivation: don't know that one at all!

• 6 years later...

Been listening to this one quite a bit lately.  Even though the album spans a couple decades, it holds together very well.  Barron definitely has a distinctive, interesting tone and the tunes are also his.  Very much of a keeper.

• 4 years later...

Listening to A Swedish-American Venture right now. This was a labor of love on Anna Barron's part, and the music is amazing. Sonics too. Though the disc spans from 1966 to 1984, there's a consistency to the programming. You also get 28 seconds of a Bill Barron interview—it's actually more of an introduction to his composition "A Swedish-American Venture," which is Track 3. It would've made Mingus smile.

I'd say this package is essential for Bill Barron fans. Hard to believe that it's been on the market for over 20 years now.

1 hour ago, Late said:

Listening to A Swedish-American Venture right now. This was a labor of love on Anna Barron's part, and the music is amazing. Sonics too. Though the disc spans from 1966 to 1984, there's a consistency to the programming. 

I'd say this package is essential for Bill Barron fans. 

Yes, I agree with every statement above.