who else would you like to have heard play/record w/ Miles?

Rooster_Ties

OK, we all know Miles was searching around for various suitable sidemen after Trane left in '59, until he assembled the complete 2nd Quintet in 1964.

So who ELSE (besides the people he actually recorded with) would have been interesting to have heard play with Miles especially during this 1959-64 timeframe? And who (else) would have stood a chance in hell of fitting with Miles (or at least half-way) during his 'Seven Steps to Berlin' period?

And how about with Miles after '64?

I'll answer both questions with Grant Green (because, in some sense, there are two Grant Greens. 1) The more straight-ahead Grant Green of '62, '63, '64 would have been interesting to hear with Miles (though I'm not sure the Miles of '64 (with Sam and then Wayne) would have quite worked with the Grant Green of '64). And 2) the more funky Grant Green of '69, '70 and '71 might have been interesting somewhere in there with the Miles of '67/'68 (thinking primarily of Miles very first recordings with guitar in 1967 and '68, shortly after "Nefertiti"). Would it have been a great fit? - probably 'hell no' - but perhaps it could have been interesting.

Anybody else? Answers certainly don't have to fit into both/all "Miles" time-frames.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the Ornette of '73-'79 (Dancing in Your Head, Body Meta, Tales of Captain Black, Of Human Feelings -- take your pick)...

...with the Miles of '71-'75 (not sure which year would be the best fit though).

I'm thinking more of Ornette jamming with Miles and one of Miles' 70's bands (which I could actually sorta see), though it's mind-boggling to try to imagine Miles trying to play with Ornette and Prime Time. :crazy:

In the mid sixties: Maybe Jackie McLean, Andrew Hill, Roy Haynes?

And about Miles after his comeback 1981: Well I like that band with Mike Stern, and I´m not necessarly a patriot who would push people just because they from my country, but .... the austrian guitarist Karl Ratzer.....he got it all, I often wondered how the Miles from the early 80´s would have liked him.

Dave Liebman, well he was with Miles in 1973/74, but I would have liked to see him back with Miles after his comeback, at least for a period....

As far as people he didn't ever record with, it's hard for me to say. I think a session with Getz and Haig early 50s would be beautiful. I also think he would have done very nicely with Coleman Hawkins. A shame, too, that George Russell never arranged a group for him.

As far as people I wish he recorded with a lot more: Lee Konitz, Lucky Thompson, Al Cohn, Kenny Clarke, Horace Silver, and of course Bill Evans. And lord would it have been great to hear him accompany Billie in a small group, but the timelines just don't jibe; she was too far gone by the time Miles came into his own

Of course, my post mostly revolves around his Prestige period. Sorry.

As far as people he didn't ever record with, it's hard for me to say. I think a session with Getz

Miles did a session with Stan Getz in 1950: Miles, J.J. Johnson, Stan Getz, Tadd Dameron, Gene Ramey and Art Blakey : Conception, Max is Makin Wax, Woody´n You, Ray´s Idea, and Old Black Magic (with Stan Getz featured)

Just an odd thought, but Benny Golson?

I had the same thought, but decided that Golson's innate "fussiness" (not so much in what he played but how he presented it, the effect of what you have after it's over) would not have worked with Miles. Too "sunny:.

Same thing with Johnny Griffin's ebullience.

Those are the two guys who could be mentioned in the same breath as mid-late 50s Trane in terms of pushing the instrument in that timeframe.

However, if history could be ignored and played with, I'd like to have heard a never-expatriated Don Byas (and all the possible implications thereof) with Miles, instead of Sonny Stitt...but it would have to be with Red Garland, not Wynton Kelly.

Right, perhaps I should have put that under "people I wish he recorded with more". I'd love to hear him in a quintet setting.

As far as people he didn't ever record with, it's hard for me to say. I think a session with Getz

Miles did a session with Stan Getz in 1950: Miles, J.J. Johnson, Stan Getz, Tadd Dameron, Gene Ramey and Art Blakey : Conception, Max is Makin Wax, Woody´n You, Ray´s Idea, and Old Black Magic (with Stan Getz featured)

Oddball/fantasy answer: Winston Monwabisi 'Mankunku' Ngozi, circa 1967 Yakhal' Inkomo. I think it would have inspired the group in a new direction. I'm not fond of the term or notion "world music", but Mankunku did do a nice job blending Trane, Shepp, (maybe) Tubby Hayes and others with some South African influences. He would have been a bit young to actually work with Miles during the "interim" period, but Miles certainly had some young 'uns in his bands.

Just an odd thought, but Benny Golson?

I had the same thought, but decided that Golson's innate "fussiness" (not so much in what he played but how he presented it, the effect of what you have after it's over) would not have worked with Miles. Too "sunny:.

That 'sunny' quality is also- to my ears- present in George Coleman's playing and I liked him fine on those live albums. Not as profound as Shorter, maybe, but it has its own appeal. I've often toyed with the idea of Golson and it would certainly have been interesting to hear Miles playing Golson's themes (beyond Stalemates, of course).

In that period around late '67- 68 when Miles was looking at- and generally being dissatisfied by- guitar players I often wonder why Larry Coryell never entered the frame. A player with jazz chops and Hendrixian inclinations he would have been an interesting fit. The two did collaborate on a session during Miles' retirement (Miles played keyboards) which resulted in some intriguing but inconsequential noodling. Pity.