Daniel Carter / Rueben Radding - Luminescence

Usual Channels

Anyone else heard this yet? It's taking a couple days, but it's starting to grow on me...

Daniel Carter is one of my favorite saxophonists live, but I don't have much on record. This, and William Parker's "Painter's Spring" don't really capture Carter's vibe as I've seen him perform (in Other Dimensions, and in other small groups), but I'm slowly getting acclimated to other apsects of his playing...

It's an unusual session for Carter, as he sticks to Alto. I really dig it, but agree that it could take some time to grow on you. It is not as "in your face" as most of the discs I have heard him on.

You might want to check out his discs with Test to hear something that would more closely mirror his live performances.

Edited by John B

I was at the performance this CD comes from. It was right after 9/11 and the vibe was a bit somber. Apparently due to airline baggage restrictions, Carter decided not to bring any horns. They got him an alto and he played it all night. They opened for Myra Melford. I MC'd the event and was very nervous. Great performance. I gained a lot of respect for Daniel from this show. And Rueben is a very competent up-and-coming bassist.

Johnny E--That's a fine graphic!!! MY HERO!!!

Johnny B--I love Test! Forgot to mention them...

Mnytime--This is slowly reaching that status for me as well...

I looked around online, and it appears that Rueben Radding played bassist in various punk bands in DC before moving to Seattle. Can anyone confirm this? It would make sense, as Daniel Carter loves lots of punk, and attended many New York hardcore shows in the late 80s. Carter's like the sweetest, warmest, coolest, funniest guy playing right now. Lots of soul!!!

Hey, can anyone comment on "Language," "Real Time Messengers," or "Principle Hope"?

Edited by Usual Channels

• 2 weeks later...