Long Night

fasstrack

• 1 month later...

I meant I knew C. Sharpe-and very well. I wish more people heard him. He was the McCoy, and a real, warm human being. And he and Chris loued each other. One time at the Jazz Cultural Theater C. was playing and Chris came to hang and get out of the house. He lived in the Chelsea area. Vernel Fournier was there, I think. So C. saw him and had him sit in. 'Don't play anything fast' Chris said. The warmth between these guys was equal to their talent-and I guess you know where that's at. Chris's influence on my playing is really setting in b/c as a solo guitarist I worked for a long time on presenting the songs, melody being almost a lost art. I still want to do that, but Chris fascinates me b/c he EXPLORES the tunes. He had that license b/c he KNEW them inside out, he even sang when in the mood! But he trusted his ears and where they took him harmonically. And he had the belief and guts to leave spaces that would drive people too nervous for silence crazy. A unique pianist, in full bloom playing solo.