Car Accidents

My sister has said that an airbag going off is like getting punched in the face... she looked like it, too... she had two black-eyes and a cracked lip! But I think that only happens to people who are small. The airbag hits them right in the kisser!

B, and the smaller people sit up closer, but they should still try to be at almost arms length at least from the wheel (Get some pedal extenders folks!) otherwise they can suffer serious injuries from the airbag deploying. They come out very fast in a severe accident, and Grandma sitting 5 inches away from the wheel could get killed!

Tried to find out just how fast they inflate , but no luck....here is how they work though....

Airbags are known as Supplemental Restraint Systems (SRS) and are not a substitute for the use of seatbelts. For the particulars of your vehicle’s system you should consult your owner’s manual. If airbags are fitted, the steering wheel cover and/or dashboard cover will usually have the words ‘airbag’ or ‘SRS airbag’ moulded into them.

An airbag is a fabric bag that inflates rapidly when required from the steering wheel centre or dashboard. SRS airbags have been in use for about 20 years.

The SRS airbag inflator contains a solid chemical gas generator. The solid chemicals are safely stored in a metal chamber inside the SRS airbag module. Each inflator is sealed to keep out moisture. SRS airbags are designed to deploy in moderate to major crashes only and should not deploy in minor crashes.

The following four steps show how the SRS airbag works:

In an impact, sensors in the vehicle detect the sudden deceleration. If the crash is severe enough electricity flows to the inflator and causes ignition of the gas generator.

The gas generator then rapidly burns in the metal chamber. The rapid burning produces inert gases and small amounts of dust. The inert gases and dust are cooled and filtered during inflation of the airbag.

The inflating airbag splits open the trim cover. The airbag then rapidly unfolds and inflates in front of the occupant.

Note: these steps take place in a fraction of a second.

After inflation, the gas is vented through openings or open weave areas in the airbag. Airbags deflate in under a second and may be pushed aside for occupants to exit.

Also glad you're ok, Alexander. Sounds like things could easily have been far worse.

Just hope you don't get dicked around by the various insurance companies involved. Cross your fingers...

No joke! When someone turned left in front of my 1966 Dodge Monaco in 1999, (Not a good idea to total a car nut's car, but when I saw his airbag go off, I was more concerned that he might be hurt) The guy was driving around without valid insurance, thank God I had uninsured motorist's insurance. But then the bastards wanted to give me $1500 for a car I bought a year before for $3800! And I had put a grand into it as well. So, we had to dick around for a few months, driving a rental car, til we were able to get an Auto appraiser from our car club to at least convince them it was a 3000 dollar car. Of course, they considered it totaled, even though it could have been fixed, and wouldn't let me buy it back, it was sold at a dealers auction. For what they payed in rental fees, they could have resolved the issue for much less. Of course, I was still out the deductible, and the doctor exam fee(I think) I did have minor whiplash, and I was already off work for a ruptured disc in my back. People told me when State Farm started to push me around, that was when I should have said my neck was really starting to hurt me....It's a shame you are almost forced into lying to make a company do what's right...

Alexander, glad you are ok! Your guardian angel must have been watching over you! ;)

Edited by BERIGAN

got into an ugly one when i was 16, i was an unrestraind passenger that was ejected from the rear window during a roll-over. missed most of my junior year of HS (had a tutor from the school district).

i was in a near miss last night. i'm not sure what happened, but all of a sudden there were 4-5 cars slamming into one another (on the freeway). i hit the brakes and swerved into the breakdown lane as glass and metal were flying all around my car.

these were the same cars that as a group, passed me like i was standing still (i was driving at 65MPH-cruise control), about a mile previously.

i took an hour and a cigar before my hands stopped shaking.

glad to hear you're without serious injury Alexander.