Halcyon records HAL110

slide_advantage_redoux

I found a nugget at Goodwill today, and after spotting it I hoped I would find the mother load from the same collector. But no.

Anyway. Jimmy Rowles has always been one of my fave listens. He always brings something nice to the table. no matter if he is a sideman or leader.

Here is a link to the LP (someone is selling a copy too). It is a duo LP (w/ bassist Rusty Gilder.

http://www.ebay.com/...O-/200636711068

tunes:

side 1

Grooveyard

remind me

rockin' in rhythm

sunday, monday, or always *

lotus blossum / prelude to a kiss

side 2

it don't mean a thing...

restless

mah lindy lou

cottontail

the peacocks

* http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

This was recorded "live at the Fuerst's New York apartment"

Halcyon records

Bellmore NY

Who are the Fuersts? I wonder if they are the same as the one's whose apartment was used for the famous Tal Farlow/Eddie Costa sessions in 1956. (and released on Xanadu)

The label apparently is dead. Another one exists, but obviously is a different one.

Any info on Halcyon. I heard a rumor that this was the private label founded by Marian McPartland. No mention of her on credits.

Artistic Supervision - Alec Wilder

Producer - Charles Bourgeois

Mixing Editing - Joe Scariza

Engineer - Steve Kureczo / Stratosphere Sound (!)

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

A number of Marian McPartland's recordings originally on Halcyon have been reissued on CD.

Solo Concert At Haverford - Halcyon 111

Plays The Music Of Alec Wilder - The Jazz Alliance 10016

Ambiance - The Jazz Alliance 10029

Live At The Monticello - The Jazz Alliance - 10025

Concert In Argentina - The Jazz Alliance 10008

Live At The Carlyle - Prevue 25

Sherman Fairchild owned a fantastic town house on Manhattan's east Side. It was like something out of a James Bond movie (even had the babes) and the basement converted into a modern recording studio at the push of a button—very hi-tech for the day. There were two interlocking grands (Fairchild was particularly fond of piano music) and said button pulled aside a painting or two on one of the walls, revealing a control room. Hank made many great piano recordings in that studio, which otherwise looked like a luxurious lounge.

Fairchild was perhaps best known for his bombsight, which has been credited with helping to win WWII. I used to have a transcription turntable with a Fairchild arm (wish I had it now for my 16" discs)

• 4 weeks later...