Your favorite headphones?

spangalang

I am new to the Forums and would love to hear everyone's opinion of their favorite cans. I don't have a huge budget for my audiophilia, but I still try to find the best on which to listen to my jazz collections. Definitely some headphones are better at balancing the super bright highs of the trumpet, for example. Some of my favorites are Grado SR60, Sennheiser HD 202 II, and Klipsch IMAGE S4.

Anyone have other recommendations?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a lot of experience with headphones as I really don't LIKE to listen via headphones. (In part because in the final years of the 'eighties I did a lot of recording of bands I was in and did a lot of critical listening and monitoring on headphones and really burned out on the sound and feeling). My Dad bought me a pair of B&O A8 headphones six years ago to use with my iPod and computer, which at that time was the major source of my listening, as we were living in another city on and off for my late wife's medical treatment.

These work really well with the iPod, they are sonically very capable. Recently I tried them with the headphone output of a cd player and was quite impressed. They're a cool design and reasonably comfortable. They're the only headphones I've owned since I received them and I don't feel the need for another pair. (But then again, I'm far from a moderate or heavy headphone user.)

product_126024.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Possibly the best sonic investment I've ever made is my 20 year old set of Sony MDR-Cd770 Digital Reference Headphones.

img_8113.jpg

6b6ac3d2_sony-cd770.jpg

I've listened to countless other headphones since and often thought of an update, only problem is that nothing sounds as good as these !

Quote :

The absolute best set of earphones I’ve ever had, and in fact still own after some odd 20 years, is a set of Sony MDR-CD770 Digital Reference earphones. They (still) sound amazing, you feel like you can point out the location of every instrument in the band you’re listening too, like they were in the room.

The only problem with these are that they are big, expensive, and fragile. You won’t be taking these with you when you’re on vacation. They wouldn’t survive the suitcase, and they’re impossible when you are trying to lay your head down to sleep while listening to good music. Even if you did, you’d never wake up again, being strangled by the many meters of audio cable dangling off of your left ear.

But if you’re sitting at home on the couch, these will beat the * out of any soundsystem anyday, without annoying the neighbours. You’ll be amazed at how good a high-bitrate AAC track sounds comming out of your iPod.

I do a lot of headphone listening. I did recently give my brother my Senns because I no longer cared for the sound, but headphone listening can be addicting (while also necessary in my case for marital harmony).

For everyday use, I love my Beyerdynamic DT880s. d419b_headphones_419V-JPApML.jpg

I also have Grado SR60s and SR125s. I was recently blessed with good fortune, though, and I now have a pair of Joe Grado's own HP-1000s (H-2 model):

86ec3c71_vbattach7883.jpg

I also tend to like the canal phones for on the go and like the Etymotics (Shure's main competitor). I have a pair of HF5s and they are fantastic (and relatively inexpensive, all things being equal).

Hard to beat those Grado SR60s, which were a gateway for me.

Brooks, curious what you mean about walking with them being a weird physical experience... I have been running with a a pair of Sennheiser PX headphones for years and am considering in-ear might be a better option. Less sweat!

You can hear yourself breathe and even hear noises when you touch the wire. These aren't noise cancelling, but they have a bit of the same effect. When I'm on the street I like to be able to hear what's going on around me somewhat.

I am new to the Forums and would love to hear everyone's opinion of their favorite cans. I don't have a huge budget for my audiophilia, but I still try to find the best on which to listen to my jazz collections. Definitely some headphones are better at balancing the super bright highs of the trumpet, for example. Some of my favorites are Grado SR60, Sennheiser HD 202 II, and Klipsch IMAGE S4.

Anyone have other recommendations?

This a great topic. Thanks for asking the question. Looking forward to additional answers.

Just curious to know how folks checked out their headphones before making the decision to purchase them. Let's say one wanted to check out Grado, Sennheiser and Beyer cans.

Not always easy to audition headphones. Local dealers? Equipment reviews? word of mouth? forums like this one, or ones dedicated to headphones?

Just curious to know how folks checked out their headphones before making the decision to purchase them. Let's say one wanted to check out Grado, Sennheiser and Beyer cans.

Not always easy to audition headphones. Local dealers? Equipment reviews? word of mouth? forums like this one, or ones dedicated to headphones?

head-fi.org

go to a CanJam, if you can. I tried about 100 in a day. Or one of the board members' "meetings", like this one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/584924/official-2012-bay-area-meet-thread-california-february-11th-saturday

"complete" regional meet-up forum here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/24/local-regional-head-fi-meets-parties-get-togethers

Edited by BeBop

head-fi.org

go to a CanJam, if you can. I tried about 100 in a day. Or one of the board members' "meetings", like this one: http://www.head-fi.o...y-11th-saturday

"complete" regional meet-up forum here: http://www.head-fi.o...s-get-togethers

Thanks, that's useful info.

I've got one pair of fairly cheap Sony headphones (meaning this isn't a thread I should post in at all) but my ears are too Pantani-like to be suited to long hours of headphone-listening anyway...

(Sony MDR-V150, in case anyone cares... got to buy what's around in the 0.378 stores that carry such stuff here...)

I've got one pair of fairly cheap Sony headphones (meaning this isn't a thread I should post in at all) but my ears are too Pantani-like to be suited to long hours of headphone-listening anyway...

That's two of us. My Grado SR80s aren't all that comfortable, but with all my traveling, headphones are really my only option.

(I wonder how many people here understand the reference to Pantani?!)

I love the Grado SR60s at home.

At the office, my Sennheiser HD202s do a fine job of isolating sound. (They have what seems to be a bottomless extended bass range. Lowest of the lows come through with these things.)

For foot commuting in these Mpls skyways, I use Skullkandy Titans, a nice set of in-ear buds. Less bass response than I might like, but they fit well. There was some cable noise-conduction issues, which I addressed by inserting them upside down and routed the cables up and then behind my ears. Problem solved.

I honestly don't know how folks can use those stock Apple earbuds.

That's two of us. My Grado SR80s aren't all that comfortable, but with all my traveling, headphones are really my only option.

(I wonder how many people here understand the reference to Pantani?!)

Well, I thought it was okay to make that reference in light of the recent Contador-thread... you know, when I was still cycling I started shaving my head (still do, though usually not as short as I did back then) and the other kids called me "Elephantino" :)

As for my headphones... a quick search on the net tells me they cost twice as much here as in $$-land... I'm using them right now and sound is really pretty nice to my ears. I'm no audiophile, so there's that... I prefer listening in a room anyway, even if it's just at low volume.

I've got Sennheiser HD 518's and they are fine (a good friend works as a sales rep for them...and I got 'em pretty cheap) they started sounding really good once they were broken in. I play them via my headphone input in my Yamaha amplifier. But they work fine plugged into my iPhone. I am looking into getting some Grado headphones in the future from what people have said on this board and a friend who has a pair. Cool thread!!!

I love listening to my stereo system, but listening to music (good "audiophile" recordings for example) with headphones can really bring out detail that is otherwise unheard.

Edited by Jazz Nut

i use the Bose in ear buds at the gym:

New-Bose-In-Ear-Headphones-Designed-For-Mobile-Phones.jpg

they work really well for me. the newer plastic tip design is comfortable and surprisingly stable. i couldn't use "buds" before this new design. they would all just fall out. these sound nice as well. but honestly, i haven't tried too many others...

also, the one pictured here have extra in-line controls for volume, track skipping, and a built-in microphone for cell phone calls. the music controls used to work only for certain apple products, but i believe now there is a free app that allows you to use those functions w/ other phones like droids, etc...

Edited by thedwork