Jazzwise - or is that a contradiction in terms?

here goes...short and sweet

"Epic three disc set from post-Zorn saxophonist with raw blues at its centre and a A-list left-field NYC band that features Marc Ribot, Roswell Rudd and Matthew Shipp"

that's it. Scores 3 stars (out of five)

beat me to it , from issue 159 - Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Is it just me or is 'Jazzwise' getting very diluted these days? Scanned the latest copy in 'Ray's' yesterday but was undewhelmed with the jazz content and didn't bother buying it. Likewise 'Jazz Journal' - half of that was 'Critics Polls'. More meat required !

I gave up on both these publications some time ago. I found I could get more information about jazz from being a member of this forum!

Is it just me or is 'Jazzwise' getting very diluted these days? Scanned the latest copy in 'Ray's' yesterday but was undewhelmed with the jazz content and didn't bother buying it. Likewise 'Jazz Journal' - half of that was 'Critics Polls'. More meat required !

I gave up on both these publications some time ago. I found I could get more information about jazz from being a member of this forum!

I gave up both but recently started back with Jazzwise. I view JJ as a lost cause. The latter had almost nothing on current jazz (of any type). Jazzwise is still pretty reasonable, worth getting IMO.

I'm still buying Jazzwise, just.

It manages to have some interesting interviews that keep me shelling out, e.g. Berne and Glasper in the current edition and Ornette recently. I do enjoy the writing of Kevin Le Gendre which can't be found elsewhere AFAIK.

Review section increasingly redundant as they were always about info not opinion for me and I've now more often than not discovered about the recording online.

I'm still buying Jazzwise, just.

It manages to have some interesting interviews that keep me shelling out, e.g. Berne and Glasper in the current edition and Ornette recently. I do enjoy the writing of Kevin Le Gendre which can't be found elsewhere AFAIK.

Review section increasingly redundant as they were always about info not opinion for me and I've now more often than not discovered about the recording online.

agree re Kevin Le Gendre- he's a significant draw for me. If he says some new release is the business I'm likely to take note. Other writers need to be approached with caution.

I don't know about anybody else, but that's how I usually think about music - pre-Zorn, Zorn, and post-Zorn. Pre-Zorn is typified by artists like Bach, Charlie Parker, Dean Martin, and Led Zeppelin. Then, of course, there's Zorn, who needs no introduction. I've yet to hear any post-Zorn music that's really caught my ear. It's all that middle-of-the-road, three-star kind of stuff.

I don't know about anybody else, but that's how I usually think about music - pre-Zorn, Zorn, and post-Zorn. Pre-Zorn is typified by artists like Bach, Charlie Parker, Dean Martin, and Led Zeppelin. Then, of course, there's Zorn, who needs no introduction. I've yet to hear any post-Zorn music that's really caught my ear. It's all that middle-of-the-road, three-star kind of stuff.

Pre-Zorn? Post-Zorn? I can't imagine even thinking about Zorn when I listen to music.