Tim Berne - Snakeoil

mjazzg

I heard the band play an all new set, the next album in NYC two weeks ago at the Greenwich House Music.

Two longish compositions...the drummer is also playing the melodies on vibes along with the band now. He's also playing more percussion, bongos(!), small gongs too. Matt Mitchell and Oscar Noriega are stars on the rise. :)

I'm looking forward to a new album when it comes out someday. I love the new sound with the vibes.

Cool! Is there definitely a new album coming on ECM?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the band play an all new set, the next album in NYC two weeks ago at the Greenwich House Music.

Two longish compositions...the drummer is also playing the melodies on vibes along with the band now. He's also playing more percussion, bongos(!), small gongs too. Matt Mitchell and Oscar Noriega are stars on the rise. :)

I'm looking forward to a new album when it comes out someday. I love the new sound with the vibes.

Cool! Is there definitely a new album coming on ECM?

There's a new album coming, but I've only heard a rumor it's on ECM.

Edited by 7/4

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been listening to the second Snakeoil album, The Shadow Man. I liked the 1st album just fine, but those who found it too "tame" or ECM-ish should at the very least give TSM a listen. Much harder-hitting.

I'd agree with that. I've heard it a few times this week. :tup

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to the Snakeoil album from 2012 yesterday and today, and I was struck by how much it reminded me of Henry Cow.

I was a big Henry cow fan back in the day, and I enjoyed listening to Snakeoil.

Interesting, I thought they had a shade of Soft Machine! There's a bit of Canterbury in there, for sure.

Now that I've been listening to Soft Machine, Elton Dean, etc, I'll have to go back to that Berne album and check it out.

I just want to add that Berne's playing over the last 2 years has been at a remarkably high level. He's been doing a lot of gigs around NYC, with Snakeoil, and with other ensembles, and I think he has hit a new high in his performance. Maybe this is a renewed vigor. Anyway, I think it is reflected in the current album.