Help with Django box sets

jfire

There are a few other threads about Django box sets... and most recently one on the new JSP.

Seems all the JSPs together cover almost the entire discography (as do the three Frémeaux boxes that compile the earlier 20 volumes of 2CD sets).

As I have the Frémeaux, I can't really answer, but maybe a search for previous thread brings some answers?

Here's the most recent thread:

There's another JSP Django box out soon:

http://www.amazon.com/Renown-Resistance-1937-43-Django-Reinhardt/dp/B006JFZU9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328132066&sr=8-2

I own the Mosaic Django set and JSP's Django in Rome set. Which of the other JSP boxes would be good, keeping in mind I'd like to minimize overlap?

Thanks!

The first JSP box has the Ultraphone 1934-1935 recordings on dics 1 and the Decca recordings from 1938-1939 on disc 2 & 3. Disc 4 has the Coleman Hawkins session from 1935 plus the 1935 Decca's. The rest of disc 4 and disc 5 overlap with Mosaic. So does box 2.

The boxes:

Musette to maestro 28-37

Renown and resistance 37-43

The post war recordings 44-53

Django on the radio

do not overlap with the Mosaic. But strangely enough there is some overlap between box 2 and The postwar recordings.

I hope this helps. For differences between JSP and the Integrale series by Fremeaux I refer to the Renown and Resistance tread in the reissue forum.