Robert Glasper Black Radio tour dates

GA Russell

Robert Glasper has a new album called Black Radio coming out Feb. 28, and he will tour in support of it.

ROBERT GLASPER - WINTER 2012 TOUR DATES:

January 31, Blue Note Jazz Club, New York, NY (with Chrisette Michele)

February 1, Blue Note Jazz Club, New York, NY (with Chrisette Michele)

February 2, SF Sketchfest @ Yoshi's, Oakland, CA (with Reggie Watts)

February 4, Hope College, Holland, MI (Robert Glasper Experiment)

February 9, Olin Arts Center, Lewiston, ME (Robert Glasper Trio)

February 10, Jazz Bistro, St. Louis, MO (Robert Glasper Trio)

February 11, Jazz Bistro, St. Louis, MO (Robert Glasper Trio)

February 16, Mansion at Strathmore, Bethesda, MD (solo)

February 17, Yardbird Suite, Edmonton, AB (Robert Glasper Experiment)

February 19, West End Cultural Center, Winnipeg, MB (Robert Glasper Experiment)

February 23, Black Box Theater, Baton Rouge, LA (Robert Glasper Experiment)

February 24, Montreal Highlights Festival, Montreal, QB (Robert Glasper Experiment)

February 28, Highline Ballroom, New York, NY (Robert Glasper Experiment with guests)

March 1, World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, PA (Robert Glasper Experiment with Bilal)

March 10, Double Door, Chicago, IL (Robert Glasper Experiment)

March 17, The New Parish, Oakland, CA (Robert Glasper Experiment with Bilal)

March 18, Brick & Mortar, San Francisco, CA (Robert Glasper Experiment with Bilal)

March 20, Anthology, San Diego, CA (Robert Glasper Experiment with Bilal)

March 22, The Exchange, Los Angeles, CA (Robert Glasper Experiment with Bilal)

March 23, Neumos, Seattle, WA (Robert Glasper Experiment with Bilal)

March 30, Casbah Durham @ Duke Performances, Durham, NC (Robert Glasper Trio)

March 31, Casbah Durham @ Duke Performances, Durham, NC (Robert Glasper Trio)

April 3, Warner Theatre, Washington, DC (Robert Glasper Experiment)

A friend gave me a cdr of an earlier album a few years ago. My impression was that I was looking at jazz through a Vaseline covered lens. Soft soft focus.

Saw him on the Icons Among Us documentary the other night. He came across as a hard-ass with illl-informed opinions talking smack. .

His music was hardly featured in the film, but he went from dreads and eyebrow ring to fairly tight during the doc.

How would you describe his music?

impossible, I've heard some things on Sirius that I've liked, but for the last few years the sales pitch has been that he combines jazz with hip hop, as if that's a good thing.

I've never heard an entire album of his. Maybe he is in the habit of having good tracks on bad albums. I can't say.

Hip hop is defintively an influence on his music, I do like his albums. Must say he has yet to really impress me in a live setting, Lack of focus in his music as he tries too hard to be an entertainer.

By the way they poorly translated the name of the festival which is in French Montréal en lumière which i would translate by Montreal in light.

Oh I didn't see they mentionned the band he was going to play with at the end of each gig.

Edited by Van Basten II

Glasper is a talent, I think.

Maybe not premier league painist but his acoustic trio played a great gig in London recently - simplistically, think of a hip-hop generation Herbie Hancock - that's very simplistically. But the comprison also stands with Experiment, his 'electric' band which certainly has a Heahhunters influence. His new album develops his use of vocalists and has a host of guests from the neo-soul, hip-hop world - migt be interesting.

Certainly check him out if you like a groove and a beat to your music. Sure, the 'jazz police' will sniff at his overt use of soul and hip-hop influence and some will say he aint Jazz at all. That's Ok with me but I'll disagree and continue to enjoy his approach

Glasper is a talent, I think.

Maybe not premier league painist but his acoustic trio played a great gig in London recently - simplistically, think of a hip-hop generation Herbie Hancock - that's very simplistically. But the comprison also stands with Experiment, his 'electric' band which certainly has a Heahhunters influence. His new album develops his use of vocalists and has a host of guests from the neo-soul, hip-hop world - migt be interesting.

Certainly check him out if you like a groove and a beat to your music. Sure, the 'jazz police' will sniff at his overt use of soul and hip-hop influence and some will say he aint Jazz at all. That's Ok with me but I'll disagree and continue to enjoy his approach

I saw him live a year or 2 ago and was impressed, great technique and developing a new approach to the piano trio. He's got to be commended for trying to take things forward rather than same old same old etc