BIG news regarding Los Angeles' TheJazz Bakery club

as much as i'm a big fan of The Jazz Bakery and have been for decades, i cannot help but wish they were going smaller with this project. the prices of their offerings, as stated in the article, will be what the charge is for Dizzy's at Jazz at Lincoln Center!!

Valerie - I think you're right - their proposed prices are steep, especially in this economy and especially for Jazz shows. How are they going to book 250 shows a year with enough name cachet to fill the club at $35/ticket? Jazz fans are notoriously cheap in Boston (according to the few waitresses I've talked to about it). Is it any better out in LA?

as much as i'm a big fan of The Jazz Bakery and have been for decades, i cannot help but wish they were going smaller with this project. the prices of their offerings, as stated in the article, will be what the charge is for Dizzy's at Jazz at Lincoln Center!!

My thoughts exactly. At the old location - which I've been to numerous times - prices were usually $25-30, with lots of free parking. I've no doubt that the Gehry-designed venue will be much nicer (it couldn't not be!), but I'm not so sure it can sustain with the sometimes minimal crowds the Bakery can often get.

I think that's what happened to Yoshi's. They went WAY over the top when they expanded into SF - could have toned it down quite a bit. They've re-tooled their programming and have as much (if not more) non-jazz artists as jazz these days.

Part of that is the economy, I'm sure.