Ebay Steals

chris

Well, not when you're looking for OOP Mosaic Boxes and other assorted rarities, although the occasional one crops up with a low Buy it Now price every once in a while. There probably are deals to be had on Ebay but the "steal" of getting a $17 in-print CD for $5 doesn't quite match the drama of someone paying $200 for the McLean Mosaic.

I've bought some Siemens vacuum tubes pretty darned cheap with little bidding competition off ebay, probably because Siemens was not spelled correctly . . . got them for about a third of the normal "reasonable" price, and five of them at that. So that was a nice steal!

I find I do better on eBay if I just check out what's closing at the time and see if there's anything I want rather than looking for specific items. Although you do have to sort through a lot of crap that way...stuff like John Tesh in Jazz, things like that. But patience is definitely the key!

Good deals can most definitely be had, you just have to be disciplined and patient. Also, the best bargains often occur when the seller does not correctly or fully describe the item they are selling. I picked up the third and last Rosemary Clooney Bear Family Box for a little over $30 on eBay UK from a seller that did not mention Bear Family in the listing or provide a photograph. This usually sells for over $100.

Well, I can't say that I've gotten any insanely good deals on eBay, but...I've gotten a few fairly good ones. Tina Brook's 'Minor Move' and 'The Waiting Game' for about $7 I thought was a good deal. I've picked up many in-print CDs for about $3 or $4, mostly browsing through the Ending Today and Going, Going, Gone stuff. I also have a large list of favorites that I continually revise, most of which I receive email notifications on whenever something new is listed that matches that description. That is a very handy tool that I've had some luck with.

As stated previously, patience is definitely the key when buying on eBay.

You can get some good deals on ebay, but in my case, if I keep looking for stuff, I end up buying; and if I buy a lot of stuff then only a handful are at bargain prices.

So you've got to be both patient and disciplined.

I don't even watch ebay now, because I've decided to curb my cd spending. If I just decided to watch for good deals then I might be tempted to go after something else. Best just not to watch auctions.