New Ogun release & where's the website gone?

romualdo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the new Blue Notes is either available, or will be (very) imminently...Peter, I'm not entirely sure, but I think what you're referring to is that John Jack, who ran Cadillac, retired from the distribution game last year. Ogun releases are all still available through the shops, and through contacting Hazel Miller directly - but as you say, I don't think through the (now-defunct) Cadillac website.

FWIW - I was with Louis Moholo-Moholo recently, and he is very excited by this new release...I haven't heard it yet, but it's pretty special from what various people say...

But Ogun - definitely still going strong...I was chatting with Hazel only the other day about things, and - more news soon - but Louis M and I have a duo which we recorded last October which will appear on Ogun later in the year...

...and it's preaching to the converted I know, but let me reiterate for everyone(!) - Hazel does a really wonderful job: runs that label with proper old-fashioned (in absolutely the most positive way) values...please do give them whatever custom you can...the music is, it goes without saying, totally wonderful, and it's a label which really tries to do right by everyone involved!!!

(friendly retail advice: buy the new Blue Notes, and treat yourself at the same time to the recently released Louis/Johnny/Dudu/Frank Wright album...you won't regret it :))

Ok please excuse my stupidity but I can't seem to find the Ogun site. I have very little on Ogun other that a few vinyls. Looking forward to hearing the Hawkins/Moholo session :party: .

No stupidity involved. I don't think there's a functioning website at the moment nor has there been for some time. I remember speaking with Hazel sometime ago and she was hopful that she'd found someone to rejuvenate it for her but that's obviously not come to fruition. Ogun's definitely a one-woman concern and I suspect there are other calls on Hazel's time.

She's contactable via ogunrecords@googlemail.com and as stated above she's the most helpful of people.

I second AH's recco of the Moholo/Wright disc and the latest Tippett Octet

this list looks up to date

http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/labels/ogun/cogunc.html

Edited by mjazzg

Ok please excuse my stupidity but I can't seem to find the Ogun site. I have very little on Ogun other that a few vinyls. Looking forward to hearing the Hawkins/Moholo session :party: .

No stupidity involved. I don't think there's a functioning website at the moment nor has there been for some time. I remember speaking with Hazel sometime ago and she was hopful that she'd found someone to rejuvenate it for her but that's obviously not come to fruition. Ogun's definitely a one-woman concern and I suspect there are other calls on Hazel's time.

She's contactable via ogunrecords@googlemail.com and as stated above she's the most helpful of people.

I second AH's recco of the Moholo/Wright disc and the latest Tippett Octet

this list looks up to date

http://www.efi.group.shef.ac.uk/labels/ogun/cogunc.html

thanks , just what I was looking for....now where to start .....

Thanks for all of the above information

I knew that Jack/Hazel had wound down Cadillac Distribution but still had a modified website -> looks like that has folded too (I'm sure I accessed the site not too long ago)

Amazon UK has the latest Ogun release on special at present (9.10 pounds)

Ogun is probably my favourite record label!

From 1976 - early 80s it introduced me to all sorts of music outside my comfort zone.

British jazz it littered with labels that ran for a while and died. Despite the challenging nature of the music, Ogun has kept going, despite some quiet years.

Emanem is another label exploring the nether regions that has kept going through dedicated leadership and realistic ambition.

I've been mining the British "small label" axis for 14 years or so now (Ogun, Emanem, PSI, Incus, FMR, Matchless, Fledgling,Trunk, Vocalion)

What a treasure trove

A plug for AMM (Prevost/Gare/Cardew/Tilbury/Rowe/DeSaram), one of the great British Improv Institutions

Have just found the Emanem thread - I agree, it should be transferred to recommendations

indeed-a-rooney! :excited:

the PDF gives the info quoted on AAJ, but here it is again:

OsborneMillerLevin.jpg

RELEASE DATE

5TH MARCH 2012

Label: Cadillac Records

File Under: Jazz

Catalogue No: SGCD010/011

Barcode: 5020675971226

Format: 2 CD

Packaging: digipack

Mike Osborne - alto saxophone

Harry Miller - bass

Tony Levin - drums

The Birmingham Jazz Concert

Mike Osborne Trio

A LIVE DOUBLE ALBUM BY ONE OF THE FINEST TALENTS OF BRITISH JAZZ

- RELEASED HERE FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME

Osborne’s is the great ‘what-might-have-been’ story of the UK scene – a brilliant and tempestuous player who blazed

through the 60s and 70s in the Westbrook band, in Brotherhood of Breath, in S.O.S. with Alan Skidmore and John

Surman, in Kenny Wheeler’s Big Band and in multiple other line-ups; as well as on a small number of his own

recordings. Yet his voice was silenced by illness in 1982 and he was never able to perform again until his death in 2007.

So any new material is welcomed with open arms by the ever-growing audience for what is now rightfully acknowledged

as a particularly fecund time and place for jazz. This 2CD live set is eagerly and gratefully received.

From the sleeve notes -

Founder George West reminisces thus: I founded Birmingham Jazz in 1976 with the help of six other enthusiasts; we

each put £25 on my dining room table and said we would promote some concerts for as long as the money held out.

Birmingham Jazz has promoted live jazz ever since – a remarkable achievement. Our first concert was with Barbara

Thompson’s Paraphernalia; I’m not sure who were our second but Mike Osborne’s trio with Harry Miller and Tony Levin

was the third, on 7 November 1976.

These concerts took place in the Warwick Suite of the Grand Hotel, Colmore Row, Birmingham that was our home base

for the first five years. The musicians gave me permission to record the concert as a souvenir on my Maxwell C180 tape

and Yamaha recorder, and it subsequently remained unplayed in my files until unearthed in 2009; amazingly the tape

had not deteriorated in any way and gives a very high quality documentation of an outstanding evening’s music making.

As there had been no announcements of tune titles, several have proved slightly controversial despite being auditioned

by a number of musicians who had known and played with Mike over the years he was active. But what is unquestioned

is the creative quality of the Trio’s performance.

Finally in the right mood for this one:

5124538CoNL._SS500_.jpg

And I enjoy it a lot!

Sound is pretty muddy... as is the design - but I love the snapshot of Dudu's on the front cover and sound is good enough not to distract - Pukwana's sax comes through loud and clear, so do the drums. The bass is very low in the mix and the piano sounds battered and flat and twangy.

• 9 months later...

If anyone's interested, I'm really proud that the release date for my duo album - 'Keep Your Heart Straight' - with Louis Moholo-Moholo is tomorrow! It's available on Amazon, Dusty Groove, etc. etc...

It's a mix of things...several free improvisations, as well as some nice compositions...Prelude to a Kiss, If I Should Lose You, Mackay Davashe's 'Lakutshon'Ilanga', and - a favourite of mine from Spirits Rejoice - Amexesha Osizi (Times of Sorrow).

..anyway, it'd be great if anyone felt like checking it out! As I say, I'm very proud of it...a real honour to get to record with one of my heroes. There'll be some more gigs next year too, so will keep you posted...