New Ogun release & where's the website gone?

romualdo

If anyone's interested, I'm really proud that the release date for my duo album - 'Keep Your Heart Straight' - with Louis Moholo-Moholo is tomorrow! It's available on Amazon, Dusty Groove, etc. etc...

It's a mix of things...several free improvisations, as well as some nice compositions...Prelude to a Kiss, If I Should Lose You, Mackay Davashe's 'Lakutshon'Ilanga', and - a favourite of mine from Spirits Rejoice - Amexesha Osizi (Times of Sorrow).

..anyway, it'd be great if anyone felt like checking it out! As I say, I'm very proud of it...a real honour to get to record with one of my heroes. There'll be some more gigs next year too, so will keep you posted...

Congratulations - I saw this mentioned on a site, can't remember where...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone's interested, I'm really proud that the release date for my duo album - 'Keep Your Heart Straight' - with Louis Moholo-Moholo is tomorrow! It's available on Amazon, Dusty Groove, etc. etc...

It's a mix of things...several free improvisations, as well as some nice compositions...Prelude to a Kiss, If I Should Lose You, Mackay Davashe's 'Lakutshon'Ilanga', and - a favourite of mine from Spirits Rejoice - Amexesha Osizi (Times of Sorrow).

..anyway, it'd be great if anyone felt like checking it out! As I say, I'm very proud of it...a real honour to get to record with one of my heroes. There'll be some more gigs next year too, so will keep you posted...

Thanks for the heads-up.

Looking forward to it. I put in an order at DG, and they still had a few in stock. Probably have it in a week or so...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

prompted by a post in another thread:

...(Ogun) some unfortunate lines on back of CD from plastic sleeve, but plays fine

I have those on the Blue Notes/Frank Wright disc.

Plays but is totally un-rip-able on any computer drive.

Might be time for Ogun to re-consider their packaging. I replace those crappy plastic sleeves (which I blame because they easily tear and dust or whatever gets in an casues those lines which are scratches) with paper sleeves now, but it's too late on that one.

This is really too bad! I love Ogun but I hate stuff like this! Guess the regular jewel case ain't too bad an idea, after all.

prompted by a post in another thread:

...(Ogun) some unfortunate lines on back of CD from plastic sleeve, but plays fine

I have those on the Blue Notes/Frank Wright disc.

Plays but is totally un-rip-able on any computer drive.

Might be time for Ogun to re-consider their packaging. I replace those crappy plastic sleeves (which I blame because they easily tear and dust or whatever gets in an casues those lines which are scratches) with paper sleeves now, but it's too late on that one.

This is really too bad! I love Ogun but I hate stuff like this! Guess the regular jewel case ain't too bad an idea, after all.

I use the cellophane inner sleeves (buy from Sound Source in the US who get them from Japan) - thin & very protective

Just lost a long reply, the new o-board sucks in several respects...

Anyway, I was really pissed about that great disc being in such sorry state after only a few months (might have arrived like this, I only found out once my EAC ripping process took half a day to complete).

And the BoB release that prompted this thread has been here for a few months now, too - and it's excellent!

• 1 year later...

Long overdue (I appreciate Ogun is a cottage industry). For a while you could get info on Ogun current releases on the Cadilllac website. Be nice to have a place you can go to know the state of play of releases. I'm never quite sure when the release date of their records are - the Moholo-Moholo quartet one, for example, due around now.

Ogun is a treasure trove of music. But if you don't know it's there you could miss it.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Looks promising:

http://ogunrecords.com/

Or has it been doing that for eternity?

Not seen that before so perhaps something IS coming.

Like you I always find out about releases after the event even though I do usually buy directly from Hazel. It would be nice to have a website for all things "Ogun"... and Cadillac also.

For instance I know nothing about this recent(?) release which I came across by accident on Amazon...

51VpxUEJExL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

... can anyone help?.... it's on Cadillac, BTW.

well, amazon says this:

Johnny Mbizo Dyani was a South African bassist and composer who came to London as an apartheid exile with his compatriots in the racially-mixed Blue Notes group in 1964, and played a key role in the creative impact they made on British jazz in that era, before his death in 1986. This double album, also celebrating the 40th birthday of London jazz label Cadillac, catches the nimble and dramatic Dyani in a scorching free-jazz trio with the likewise shortlived trumpeter Mongezi Feza and classically trained Turkish drummer Okay Temiz, and a hollering, joyous, township-grooves septet including the great Blue Notes saxophonist Dudu Pukwana. Feza, a fizzing blend of Miles Davis and Don Cherry, leads the trio set with his fast, impulsive, fearlessly haphazard attack, while Dyani fuses implacable walks, richly sombre chordwork and audacious free-jazz countermelody. But the septet tracks are this collection's most openly attractive features featuring Dyani on electric keys and vocals, the robustly sublime Pukwana on alto sax and whistles, and a powerful electric lineup. It's mostly about catchy Dyani songs and a party vibe, but there's enough of the inimitable Pukwana's talkative, cajoling, and sometimes romantically smoky horn to keep the jazzers smiling. --The Guardian

This first release in Cadillac's '40th Anniversary Series' brings together two albums by the great South African bass player Johhny Mbizo Dyani, both originally released by Cadillac on vinyl and never before issued on CD. REJOICE is a trio album with Dyani's compatriot Mongezi Feza and Turkish percussionist Okay Temiz, recorded at the Museum of Modern Art in Stockholm in October 1972, during a Swedish tour. Sadly by the time the album was actually released in 1988 only one member of the group remained, Feza having died in 1975 aged 30 and Dyani in 1986 aged 39. Both musicians had left South Africa as members of the Blue Notes group, settling in London never to return to their apartheid homeland. TOGETHER was also recorded in Stockholm, where Dyani was by then living, in Dec 1979 / Jan 1980. The group was put together specially with Dyani's old cohort Dudu Pukwana invited over from London to play. 'The music is very special. Transcending the boundaries of nations and cultures, Mbizo s enthusiasm spread and inspired the sessions with his intense passion. A passion which revelled in a nostalgia for the myths and melodies of Marabi and Kwela. Mbizo s life was music, he gave his life for music. These sessions are Mbizo s own testimony to the spirit of hope for the future, for a better world. It is a statement so filled with vitality and with the joy of rediscovered roots that it will stand as a signpost to the whole of his life and work.' (from the sleevenotes)

_______

of course I had no idea (I'd miss any Ogun if not for this place, those websites have been useless except maybe to look up what else I've missed out on) - but this is seriously great news to me!

Well we have a release date for the new Moholo quartet disc:

4 Blokes

Louis Moholo Moholo, Alexander Hawkins, John Edwards, Jason Yarde

Based on a performance I saw last Autumn, this is likely to be marvellous.

• 6 months later...

Bad news. http://ogunrecords.com/ is now active

It is for a different Ogun Records:

OGUN RECORDS is a new label run by Roger Gerressen, based in the east of the Netherlands. Expect a wide variety of techno music on OGUN Records, with an emphasis on the dancefloor.

Well, you could hit the dance floor with some of the South African stuff, I suppose!