What does this mean?

jlhoots

Actually, Macs/Safari will display that same error, although the verbiage may be slightly different. smile.gif

This only occurs when you're trying to connect to a "secure" site (https://), and may or may not indicate a real problem.

In my experience, as long as you're sure you typed in the correct address (or accessed the correct bookmark), you'll be fine.

There should be a way in Internet Explorer to just ignore this error and access the site anyway -- are you able to get to the site?

Actually, Macs/Safari will display that same error, although the verbiage may be slightly different. smile.gif

site?

Yeah, but Macs will dispense medication, cook dinner, and prepare a drink while they're doing it. That's just one reason why they're so much better for all of lifekind.

A quick Google search of the text of the error message suggest that the most common cause of the error is the user's system's time/date settings being off, causing a disconnect between your machine and the site's certificate . Or, the site's security certificate may actually have expired (it happens!).

There's lots of info on the web about this, including tips on how to set your browser settings to where you don't get the warning. But if you're going to a site having anything to do with money or private information, I'd urge erring on the side of caution.

That, and using another browser.

In my experience, as long as you're sure you typed in the correct address (or accessed the correct bookmark), you'll be fine.

Unless, of course, you've correctly typed in the address of a website that is not safe (i.e., may contain worms, trojans, viruses). Those kind of sites generally don't have security certificates, and your browser is warning you of a potential threat. I use a Firefox add-on called WOT Guide that automatically rates sites according to trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy, and child safety, and then issues warnings of potential threats when appropriate. It works well, is unobtrusive, and provides some peace of mind.

As far as disabling the IE security warning, try going to Internet Options > Advanced, and then uncheck the option that provides this kind of warning.

Edited by sonnymax