Emanem Records and PSI

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received The Topography of the Lungs Evan Parker. I can see why this is so highly rated. Outstanding ( and none the worse for being a needle-drop )

6662377.jpg

This and the Ogun thread make me realise that I need to spend a bit of time and money catching up with something different. Keep the recs. coming ( and move this thread so it doesn't get lost )

Edited by Clunky

Just received The Topography of the Lungs Evan Parker. I can see why this is so highly rated. Outstanding ( and none the worse for being a needle-drop )

6662377.jpg

This and the Ogun thread make me realise that I need to spend a bit of time and money catching up with something different. Keep the recs. coming ( and move this thread so it doesn't get lost )

This one is a MUST.

6662377.jpg

This one is a MUST.

couldn't agree more. A total revelation when i (very belatedly) caught up with it. One of those few albums that I always find it very difficult to choose what to play next - it seems such a complete listening experience in some way that demands continued attention and consideration even after it's ended. Which might be a long-winded way of saying 'It's also just a damn good listen'.

In the spirit of the thread I'll add a recommendation for the Psi release Psalms by Evan P and Sten Sandell - duet with church organ. Someway from Topography but a sumptuos recording of a fascinating dialogue.

And an Emanem that may have slipped under radars. Riviere Composers' Pool - Kent Carter, Theo Jorgensmann, Albrecht Maurer and Etienne Rolin in a variety of combinations of bass, violin/viola and clarinets. Listen to these players coming together over a few improvised sessions in a couple of days. The final disc is the quartet concert. If you like your clarinet. with deep resonant bass (can't help but think Giuffre/Swallow '61) and strings added...no contest

Edited by mjazzg

My understanding with School Days is that Hat acquired the rights and put out their editions in 1992 and 2003. Nearly a decade passed and Davidson came under the impression that the rights were up for grabs again, so he pressed his edition on CD last year. He quickly learned that Hat still held the rights and was planning to repress it again and so withdrew the disc. But I do think it was pressed-- anybody have one?

Definitely pressed, seen a pile of them for sale. I haven't got a copy though

Yes, I have a copy. It has two tracks of Lacy with Monk and Charlie Rouse. A magical disc.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everybody.

A couple of minor points:

psi or Psi but never PSI - it's not an acronym - is Evan Parker's label, not mine. Evan makes the artistic decisions - I implement them.

Emanem was named after me (Martin) and my then wife-to-be, Madelaine (aka Mandy). I am now married to Marion. I have never knowingly been married to a Marilyn. My first wife did not have an M in her name.

Evan has said that it's named for the Greek letter Psi,which has connotations in Maths, psychology and parapsychology, an interesting nexus of associations, to say the least! A great label both for the classic reissues and for a very wide range of new music. Hans Koller's CD Cry, Want features both Bill Frisell and Evan; His forthcoming big band CD is also worth looking out for. I also like Gerd Dudek's CD with John Paricell; his very first as a leader after decades in the business. This last typifies Evan's vision and generosity as a producer.

My order arrived today, and I'm a happy boy. Thanks for the quick service across the pond, Martin.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet:

E4217.jpeg

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Quintessence. Maybe I'm not really in a position to recommend it yet, since I haven't yet heard all of this two-disc set. But I just finished playing "Forty Minutes," from the 1974 concert that makes up disc one, and it's just amazing. This version of the SME was John Stevens, Evan Parker, Trevor Watts, Derek Bailey, and Kent Carter.

My order arrived today, and I'm a happy boy. Thanks for the quick service across the pond, Martin.

E4217.jpeg

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Quintessence. Maybe I'm not really in a position to recommend it yet, since I haven't yet heard all of this two-disc set. But I just finished playing "Forty Minutes," from the 1974 concert that makes up disc one, and it's just amazing. This version of the SME was John Stevens, Evan Parker, Trevor Watts, Derek Bailey, and Kent Carter.

I was listening to those two discs earlier in the week. I won't pretend to even begin to understand it but it was certainly fascinating.

Which other discs did you order?

E4217.jpeg

I was listening to those two discs earlier in the week. I won't pretend to even begin to understand it but it was certainly fascinating.

I am mentally preparing my order and had wondered if this was a good place to start with the SME ?

E4217.jpeg

I'd say that if you thought it was fascinating, you "understand" it just fine.

My order consisted of the SME double CD above, plus:

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Summer 1967

Steve Lacy - The Sun

Steve Lacy - Avignon and After Volume 1

John Carter & Bobby Bradford - Tandem 2 (I already had Tandem 1)

I listened to most of the Summer 1967 disc late last night, and it's fascinating. It's mostly duet recordings of John Stevens and Evan Parker - some of Parker's earliest recordings, and the first ones I've heard on which he sounds like himself. I haven't yet listened to the two long tracks on which Peter Kowald joins them on bass.

Since someone will probably ask about Lacy's The Sun - it's probably for hardcore Lacy-ites only, of which I am one. These are early-ish recordings (1967-73), when Lacy was at his most radical. And I know many folks here are allergic to Irene Aebi; she has several prominent vocals. But I loved the anti-war piece "Chinese Food," with Irene chanting Lao Tzu texts over an insane background by Lacy on soprano and Richard Teitelbaum on synth. It's a real 1960's "happening." And I've long thought that the two takes of "The Way" (previously released on a limited edition LP) would be my demo tracks to play for Irene Aebi naysayers - she sings Lacy's long, complicated melody a cappella for a minute and a half. On the last note, she's joined by Lacy's soprano, and they're perfectly in tune.

I am mentally preparing my order and had wondered if this was a good place to start with the SME ?

I certainly haven't heard everything by the SME, but there seems to be some consensus among listeners and writers that yes, this is the one.

And finally, maybe this would be a good place to offer my copy of Steve Lacy's Weal & Woe to someone who might be interested, since that CD is now redundant in my collection. It's got the originally issued tracks from Lacy's first solo concert (Avignon, 1972) and the intense Vietnam War suite "The Woe," recorded by the quintet in 1973. I'll send to a U.S. address for $8 or to Europe for $10. If one of our friends in east Asia wants it, I'll figure something out.

psi0904.jpeg

Just listened to this utterly enthralling performance. Totally improvised, a real trio - the bass and drums are right out front alongside the piano. My reference point is Keith Tippett; but it's going to send me to have another crack at Cecil Taylor.

One recommendation that is very different from the usual improv:

psi0304.jpeg

What you'd expect from a Wheeler disc and very wonderful with it. In fact, I'll play it next.

These two are wonderful too:

psi0402.jpegpsi0504.jpeg

Stan did a few freer things around the time of these after a long lay-off from that side of the music. There's a great disc with Louis Moholo.

I also like Gerd Dudek's CD with John Paricell; his very first as a leader after decades in the business. This last typifies Evan's vision and generosity as a producer.

Other Dudeks as a leader:

Open, on FMP, with Buschi Niebergall and Edward Vesala (1977) and another co-led session w/ Takehiro Honda (p) called Flying to the Sky (Trio, 1971). Gerd Dudek is great.

• 1 year later...

Recent order from Martin

Bobby Bradford -Love's dream

Carter/ Bradford - Tandem 2

SME- Challenge

Gerd Dudek- day and night (psi)

All very different , doubled the number of Emanems I have !! The Dudek is superb free-ish jazz as opposed to improv. Needs further listening but strikes me as a classic. I'm not familiar with much of his playing , having only bits and pieces on collaborative sessions. It's a pity that quite a number of key Emanem /Psi disc are OOP. Having said that it must be good for Mr Davidson.

Recent order from Martin

Bobby Bradford -Love's dream

Carter/ Bradford - Tandem 2

SME- Challenge

Gerd Dudek- day and night (psi)

All very different , doubled the number of Emanems I have !! The Dudek is superb free-ish jazz as opposed to improv. Needs further listening but strikes me as a classic. I'm not familiar with much of his playing , having only bits and pieces on collaborative sessions. It's a pity that quite a number of key Emanem /Psi disc are OOP. Having said that it must be good for Mr Davidson.

Interesting to hear your views on the Dudek (Psi?) which I've often flirted with as I have an excellent 70's trio on Atavistic (FMP orig iirc)

The other three I can thoroughly recommend. I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of them - the Carter/Bradford and Challenge are both gems in different ways

Recent news is that Emanem are relocating to Spain, I believe. That'll mean extra postage cots, I suspect. They did recently have a fair number of titles discounted to £7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I also like Gerd Dudek's CD with John Paricell; his very first as a leader after decades in the business. This last typifies Evan's vision and generosity as a producer.

Other Dudeks as a leader:

Open, on FMP, with Buschi Niebergall and Edward Vesala (1977) and another co-led session w/ Takehiro Honda (p) called Flying to the Sky (Trio, 1971). Gerd Dudek is great.

Open was reissued on Atavistic as I recall. Great set.

• 5 months later...

Interesting interview with Martin Davidson from last year here:

http://subradar.no/article/martin-davidson

I like his honesty about the way he came to be drawn to this type of music. No instant conversions but an admission that it often took a very long time to get a feel for the music.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. I don't recall it.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Interesting interview. Many thanks. Amusing to read that MD's road to Damascus and mine turned out to be the New Jersey Turnpike ;) . My own conversion experience happened to be more sudden, although the fault lines were already there. Also rather amusing that one of the revelatory concerts for MD was one with Dave Burrell, and decades later, last month, I had a chance to listen to Burrell in two concerts, where he still provides plenty of musical interest. It's funny how these connections cross and re-cross time and place.

My initiation to some of this sort of thing started with a very small amount of WKCR playing Evan Parker in 1994 for his 50th birthday. Hated it I thought but heard something and 4 or 5 years later I saw the great man with Dresser and Previte and then it was some SME, lots of AMM and subsequent Rowian inspired improvisational music and a newer opemindedness to listen to more of everything but free improvisation is where my greatest interest still remains. Thanks for posting the article.

• 8 years later...