Cheltenham Jazz Festival 2012

Programme arrived today and a sorry sight it is.

I've nothing against cross-over and am all in favour of populism but they really seem to have tipped the balance this time. We've noted the slide over recent years but this year looks particularly weak.

There was a time when it was packed with events, lots of lesser known stuff, you were spoilt for choice. Now it's dominated by ladies with gardenias in their hair.

The only think I'd like to see that I've not heard before is Fieldwork. I'd happily see John Taylor, Liam Noble, Bill Frisell, Kit Downes and Seb Rochford again as part of a broader diet.

But Michael Parkinson and Ray Charles, Puppini Sisters, Marcus Miller, Imelda May, Paloma Faith (who?).

The Everyman vanished as a venue a few years back; this year there's no Town Hall (no great loss) or Pillar Room (huge loss - that's where so much of the less obvious stuff took place). A venue called the Parabola Arts Centre seems to have taken over from the Pillar Room.

Must be the recession!

I've been every year since the late 90s. Sadly, this year I'll be looking for something else.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Based on the list of artists at the top of this thread (haven't seem the programme) I would put this down to the influence of Jamie Cullum.

The same sort of jazz-lite stuff was on his radio show the other night (Paul Macca featured strongly - one of our jazz greats). I thought of the quality of the stuff that Humph used to play around the same time slot and wept.. I appreciate that his pitch is to popularise the 'jazz influenced' stuff that he likes and that it plays well to 'the market' - however it does nothing for jazz per se, when the real stuff is ignored by the media and events promoters.

Too bad that the Pillar Room is no longer a main function. I've seen some good stuff there over the years - Claudia Quintet, Vandermark, Henry Grimes, Andrew Cyrille... And I remember that just a few years ago, fellow board member Alex Hawkins was playing there.

I'm hoping Bath might be better but not holding my breath. :(

Edited by sidewinder

I've been every year since the late 90s. Sadly, this year I'll be looking for something else.

May I recommend the delights of Swanage? It's a purely Brit fest (with a few foreign visitors such as Greg Abate) and pitched very much 'middle of the road' with separate tents for the trad/mouldy figs and dirty boppers but I've always found it an enjoyable weekend. Any fans of Alan Barnes (BillF?) will be in their element !

Edited by sidewinder

I'd love to do Swanage (reminds me of the sort of line-up Appleby used to do) but it tends to fall a couple of weeks before the end of term. I can only managed these things around a holiday (I know, we teachers have so many of them...).

I'm not so sure that Cullum is a cause, more a symptom. I have a vision of some committee somewhere studying bar charts and deciding that a particular demographic needs to be accessed.

For me the great years were when the Jerwood Foundation had a huge input, sponsoring performance, composition etc by younger musicians. For a few years you had the F-IRE collective in various permutations playing wonderful things. It was a jazz festival with a welcome public face via the likes of Jools, Van and Georgie. It just seems to have flipped to a standard 'festival' with the more challenging thing on the margins.

And those artist in residence years - recall following Uri Caine from one venue to another doing everything from Latin electric jazz to Mahler.

I suspect it's money - Budweiser no longer seem to have their name everywhere (Heineken are now 'official beer sponsors' though with a lower profile).

• 2 months later...

Just been looking at the lineup for Bath this year - to say that it is 'patchy' would be an understatement.

Was hoping that they might still be doing the jazz 'season ticket' concession but according to the web site the best you can get is a miserly 25% off one of the concerts if you attend the Courtney Pine and the big band gig.

The Cheltenham disease has now extended down the A46 via Chipping Sodbury. Very sad. :(

Edited by sidewinder

Must be the recession!

I was wondering that - yet some of the best Festivals at Bath took place during the 1990-93 period, which was just as recessionary as now and with just as much pressure on the public purse. Plus - they were actually willing to take chances with their bookings.

May I recommend the delights of Swanage? It's a purely Brit fest (with a few foreign visitors such as Greg Abate) and pitched very much 'middle of the road' with separate tents for the trad/mouldy figs and dirty boppers but I've always found it an enjoyable weekend. Any fans of Alan Barnes (BillF?) will be in their element !

Well, although I travelled as far as Leeds (!!!) to see Eric Alexander, Swanage would be stretching it a bit! But I see what you mean. I'd certainly be along to hear Barnesy, Simon Spillett, Dave Cliff and Brandon Allen, to mention but a few. Interesting to see a group called Martin Speake Standards Trio. Must be the thing nowadays - on Sunday 22nd I'm going to hear the New York Standards Quartet in Southport. Greg Abate is certainly aware of the trend - when I saw him last he began by saying he'd been told the audience liked standards and proceeded to hand out to the group his new originals dedicated to the proprietors of a pasta restaurant in West Virginia! :lol:

Just been looking at the lineup for Bath this year - to say that it is 'patchy' would be an understatement.

Was hoping that they might still be doing the jazz 'season ticket' concession but according to the web site the best you can get is a miserly 25% off one of the concerts if you attend the Courtney Pine and the big band gig.

The Cheltenham disease has now extended down the A46 via Chipping Sodbury. Very sad. :(

I get the impression that they've made the jazz events more part of the whole festival rather than having a jazz specific weekend (though there is still a focus around that weekend). I used to like the long Saturday/Sunday sessions, generally made up of young up and coming Brits or unfamiliar European names. That side of the festival - as with Cheltenham - seems to have been replaced with more established names.

There is a crying need for a festival outside of London with a focus on musicians creating new music. I like a good standard session as much as anyone; but the biggest thrills I've had at these festivals have come from the unfamiliar.

Must be the recession!

I was wondering that - yet some of the best Festivals at Bath took place during the 1990-93 period, which was just as recessionary as now and with just as much pressure on the public purse. Plus - they were actually willing to take chances with their bookings.

True. And jazz was dead then too (or maybe in critical, awaiting the arrival of Robert Glasper)!

There is a crying need for a festival outside of London with a focus on musicians creating new music. I like a good standard session as much as anyone; but the biggest thrills I've had at these festivals have come from the unfamiliar.

Totally agree. Those Weekends were a chance to sample new music outside the usual 'zone of comfort' as well as some International 'names', in a relaxed environment and (with the jazz season pass) done in an affordable manner.

The Mike Westbrook Big Band is doing 2 concerts in Newton Abbott in a couple of weeks time, so I know where I'm off to this year (and it won't be rubbernecking at the Roman Baths <_< ).

Edited by sidewinder

Swanage would be stretching it a bit! But I see what you mean. I'd certainly be along to hear Barnesy, Simon Spillett, Dave Cliff and Brandon Allen, to mention but a few. Interesting to see a group called Martin Speake Standards Trio.

I've yet to see Simon's band but hope to catch them this year, as well as over-dosing as usual on Barnsey :lol: .

• 2 weeks later...

Having signed up to Sidmouth Folk Festival in the summer I've now also defected for May bank holiday. A few days of English cowpat classical in the Oxfordshire countryside:

English_Music_Festival.jpg

Hopefully something more interesting jazzwise will crop up next year.

Edit: Really enjoyed this even though I found myself in amongst the gentry!

• 1 month later...

There's a bit of an insight into what might be going on at places like Cheltenham and Bath here:

http://www.frootsmag.com/content/issue/edsbox/

From the editor of fRoots magazine (a fine UK folk/world magazine of long standing). Ian Anderson knows the business as performing musician, event organiser and magazine editor:

Here at fRoots we’ve seen all the recessions that successive governments have thrown at us since the end of the 1970s, and this one is by far the worst.

This is a time when nobody is taking risks. If you’re an established festival with an attractive bill of top names, you’re still selling out. If you’re a major name with a strong fan base going on tour to the top tier of venues, you’ll be doing fine. But pity events that are just starting out and trying something a bit different, or new artists trying to get their initial experience on the lower rungs of a performing career, or agents trying to book a tour by a great but unfamiliar artist from home or abroad. And all this in the wake of the 21st Century record industry collapse, where live music was supposed to be the saviour of skins.

Audiences are understandably being much more cautious with their money as well as facing a summer of mass media distractions. Venues are no longer able to predict who they can sell tickets for, and many have lost funding safety nets. Artists and agents are regularly reporting that dates are no longer being offered, or only for no guaranteed fee and with the onus put on the artist to do the promotion. We had to cancel our Bristol Weirdlore one-dayer in June which had generated great enthusiasm but very low advance sales: a whole day outside easily-accessed London filled with music from relatively little-known names was clearly too ambitious for this climate.