Whitney Houston has died.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, my it's so sad. Someone you detest, a cultural expression you describe as a circus, took up most of today and lot of the past week and it didn't have anything to do with you. Hell, nobody even had the common decency to ask your permission if Cissy Houston could hold a funeral for her daughter. And she planned it in a way that just offended you so much. Come to think of it, it's too bad this can't happen every week without someone dying.

is it poss. to watch the whole thing online anywhere, i was workin i missed it, my god, even michael jackson didnt have this, it was televisied live on broadcast TV? wow. i really need to see this

A lot of websites have clips but start with cnn.com. Good luck. It was really a wonderful memorial. Try this link.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/showbiz/whitney-houston-funeral/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

is it poss. to watch the whole thing online anywhere, i was workin i missed it, my god, even michael jackson didnt have this, it was televisied live on broadcast TV? wow. i really need to see this

A lot of websites have clips but start with cnn.com. Good luck. It was really a wonderful memorial. Try this link.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/showbiz/whitney-houston-funeral/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

i think the sites without any commentary are the best and there are quite a few of them, including NBC and ABC, i believe.

Edited by ValerieB

I wonder if you sit through it once...

Well I left before she finished. I heard much of the third and fourth minute. For me, there are signficant problems of intonation, and the bawling, heart-on-sleeve style doesn't disguise them, but just seems crass - Karaoke as the reality of art, not its drunken amateur imitation.

Joel Fass: "Wait till the body's cold. Show a little respect, man. Jesus......"

Joel, you need to step into reality. I said the same thing many times while she was still alive. Should I rescind?

...and don't call me Jesus!

BTW, Please note that Clive Davis is still very much among us as I repeat my discomfort with his claiming to have "discovered" Whitney Houston. He did no such thing. Except for one interview, I do not see any mention of the man who brought Ms. Houston to Clive's attention. Clive and I always got along splendidly and he was once very helpful to me, but that does not alter the fact that he has always relied on other people's ears when making decisions of this sort. The other day, I heard a media numbskull say that he discovered Janis Joplin!

... the funeral was as personal and private as it could be. ... i streamed it on the internet ...

:blink:

Please don't take offense, but that is a good line.

I guess I'm a cold SOB, but I haven't given Whitney Houston too much thought since her death, or prior, really. Sad ending. Strong voice. A human being like the rest of us, warts and all. That's about it.

Joel Fass: "Wait till the body's cold. Show a little respect, man. Jesus......"

Joel, you need to step into reality. I said the same thing many times while she was still alive. Should I rescind?

...and don't call me Jesus!

BTW, Please note that Clive Davis is still very much among us as I repeat my discomfort with his claiming to have "discovered" Whitney Houston. He did no such thing. Except for one interview, I do not see any mention of the man who brought Ms. Houston to Clive's attention. Clive and I always got along splendidly and he was once very helpful to me, but that does not alter the fact that he has always relied on other people's ears when making decisions of this sort. The other day, I heard a media numbskull say that he discovered Janis Joplin!

Wow, are you stubborn. Ok, whatever....

i think you folks are totally mean-spirited. i agree in some cases about whose talent you like and don't, but this i thought was a Whitney RIP thread. and you guys have a choice about what singers you listen to. it's always "different strokes for different folks," but a little more respect is needed here, IMHO!

Well, I have a thought on that. The BBC showed her funeral. The BBC extracts money from me at point of law (if I have any access to TV I must pay for the BBC). So the family found a way to pick my pocket, I can't do anything about it. In return for the $$$ I am sure they can tolerate a little dissent about their tasteless death-fest.

put my vote in for closing this thread. i'm generally down for leaving threads open 'til they die on their own, but when what is supposed to be an RIP thread turns into the negative jive-ass bullshit that's on this one, much of it directed at the deceased and her/his family, i'd say it's about time to shut it down. time and place people. time and place. it's a wonder to me that it even has to be said.

Edited by thedwork

Johnny O'Neal just played a really nice tribute, including The Greatest Love of All. Johnny's a MF and beautiful cat.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, pot.

Ha! Good one. Actually, I don't care that much. I just feel bad when someone like that goes before their time with so much left to give. It's just not nice for whoever to start in right away. And that's all I got to say.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, pot.

Ha! Good one. Actually, I don't care that much. I just feel bad when someone like that goes before their time with so much left to give. It's just not nice for whoever to start in right away. And that's all I got to say.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

yes, she was wise beyond her years. 

here is an example, and there are others

http://www.eonline.com/news/555538/bobbi-kristina-slams-angela-bassett-says-she-wanted-to-play-whitney-houston-in-lifetime-movie

And you know Bobbi wasn't going to take well…

The 21-year-old responded by tweeting, "Ha MsAng "bassketcase" has such a damn nerve my lord, at least the world doesn't mistake me for the wrong sex…she has some #XtraEquipment."

She added, "When I win my first Grammy or Oscar, *Shrugs* hmm whichever comes 1st, I'll be sure 2shout URname out b-tch! Hah UrTestResults = Male. Lmao."