Dexter-Dizzy encounter

Gheorghe

Hello!

I had the possibility to listen to a broadcast with Dexter , Dizzy , George Benson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams all together on stage, doing fantastic versions of two extended tunes "I Remember April" and "Caravan".

I have no idea when and were it was recorded. The only thing is I suppose it was in the late 70s, Dizzy still had great chops, Dexter is just Dexter the way I love him most, and the rhythm section is really cooking, sounds very exiting like those V.S.O.P concerts.

I think that was one of those very rare moments when a "dreamband" was put together, I don´t know whether it was planned or just happened. Couldn´t find discographical sources or informations, I just suppose it might have been somehow around 1978, deducing from the way they played.

Hello!

I had the possibility to listen to a broadcast with Dexter , Dizzy , George Benson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams all together on stage, doing fantastic versions of two extended tunes "I Remember April" and "Caravan".

I have no idea when and were it was recorded. The only thing is I suppose it was in the late 70s, Dizzy still had great chops, Dexter is just Dexter the way I love him most, and the rhythm section is really cooking, sounds very exiting like those V.S.O.P concerts.

I think that was one of those very rare moments when a "dreamband" was put together, I don´t know whether it was planned or just happened. Couldn´t find discographical sources or informations, I just suppose it might have been somehow around 1978, deducing from the way they played.

Part of a famous White House jazz event:

Date: June 18, 1978

Jazz At The White House

Benny Carter, Ornette Coleman (as), Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Illinois Jacquet, Sonny Rollins, Zoot Sims (ts), Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie, Clark Terry (t), Lionel Hampton (vib), George Benson (g), Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Billy Taylor, Cecil Taylor, Teddy Wilson (p), Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Milt Hinton (b), Louie Bellson, Denardo Coleman, Jo Jones, Max Roach, Tony Williams (d), Pearl Bailey (v)

a. Introduction - 2:26

b. In A Mellotone - 10:43

c. Oh, Lady Be Good - 8:16

d. Sonnymoon For Two - 8:44

e. Introduction - 1:18

f. I'll Remember April - 13:27

g. Caravan - 10:28

h. Introduction - 0:48

i. Earth Souls - 1:33

j. Meta - 4:23

k. Unknown title - 6:46

l. Introduction - 2:17