Jones/Lewis Mosaic

JSngry

It's a really w-i-d-e beat. Davis way on top, Mel on the backside, but in some kind of of perfect balance, so they form this big 'ole moving chair with front and back legs moving ahead in unison with the whole band riding on the cushion in the middle. And don't forget Roland ...

Well, see, that's what is kind of lost by some, that you can be on top of the beat and behind the beat, anywhere, really, as long as you stay in the beat and stay connected, it'll all be good. Ride it where best suits you, but by god, ride that motherfucker somewhere, don't be letting it get away, lest of all in such a way that you're just standing there letting it turn the corner while you keep heading straight ahead into the wall! And not just "the beat", either. The pulse, and not just of music!

And yes, Roland Hanna was superb in his contributions. Saul Goode, he was. Gotta wonder waht Chick Corea sounded like subbing in the band, as mentioned in the liners. Wonder if he took the chances offered or just role-played.

It's a really w-i-d-e beat. Davis way on top, Mel on the backside, but in some kind of of perfect balance, so they form this big 'ole moving chair with front and back legs moving ahead in unison with the whole band riding on the cushion in the middle. And don't forget Roland ...

Well, see, that's what is kind of lost by some, that you can be on top of the beat and behind the beat, anywhere, really, as long as you stay in the beat and stay connected, it'll all be good. Ride it where best suits you, but by god, ride that motherfucker somewhere, don't be letting it get away, lest of all in such a way that you're just standing there letting it turn the corner while you keep heading straight ahead into the wall! And not just "the beat", either. The pulse, and not just of music!

And yes, Roland Hanna was superb in his contributions. Saul Goode, he was. Gotta wonder waht Chick Corea sounded like subbing in the band, as mentioned in the liners. Wonder if he took the chances offered or just role-played.

Gotta think Chick took the chances -- that's who he is, plus that's what Thad wanted, what he encouraged, what he wrote and, lo, what he usually got from those around him. Related point: Lots of guys in that band over the years never sounded better than when they were in that band. Ain't no accident. Thad was a m.f. on every level.

Edited by Mark Stryker

• 8 years later...

The Eagle has landed!

Sometime in the late 90s/early 2000s but certainly after the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Mosaic went OOP, I was able to pick up a partial LP set with box and booklet from Mosaic.  5 of the 7 LPs were present.  Since then I have been casually looking for a complete set in either CD or LP.  Problem was, that this set has pretty much maintained a pretty high price on eBay. Since I already had the bulk of the set, I was not super motivated to pay over $100 or so. I happened to check Discogs a couple of weeks ago and voila! - a complete CD set sans box and booklet for $50.  I'm listening to it now.

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.  My other choice was one from 2005

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2012 at 1:00 PM, JSngry said:

Finally got a copy of the set, don't notice too much of a difference with the reverb on the first three albums, but those last two...yeah, this is so much better. I like the original's sond, but this is nice and clear, sounds like a big band instead of a "big band record", if you know what I mean.

And no matter what else, Richard Davis is Mr. Smile Inducer all over this thing, and Mel is his ginning co-conspirator. God bless 'em both for being there and doing that.

Yes, Richard Davis’ work here is incredible.