All Things Hat

Late

Hat Hut's catalog of recordings, most of them now unfortunately out-of-print, makes up a great label — (usually) pristine sound, adventurous music, and tasteful artwork and packaging.

What albums on this label do you recommend? And what albums, still LP-only, would you like to see make it onto compact disc?

One note that many of you are already aware of: Hat Hut has been running monthly sales on select titles, which sell for $8.50 through Cadence (or $11.99 through Jazz Loft). Cadence is currently listing the Vienna Art Orchestra's Erik Satie disc on sale — when initially it was reported out-of-print! This is one to pick up if you haven't already.

Have any of you tried the hat(now)ART titles, or the hatNOIR titles? Which ones, and which ones do you recommend?

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Late, I did not yet dig that deep into the hat bag - their discs are f*#@ing expensive here (although they are swiss!) - and I should not buy so many discs all the time...

Some I have & like:

- the Lacy/Waldron Dreher 4CD set

- Vienna Art Orchestra, Minimalism of Erik Satie (get it while it's still around!)

- the Ayler

- some of the Eskelin/Parkins/Black discs (One Great Day maybe my favorite so far)

I have some more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

ubu

JUMP UP/WHAT TO DO ABOUT is one of the great albums, period, as are all their Cecil Taylor sides.

These should be high up on the list of things to come on hatOLOGY in my opinion!

I never heard these.

Other good hats I have:

Jimmy Lyons, Jump Up

Archie Shepp/Max Roach, The Long March Pts. 1 & 2

These are the old one, HatArt, in jewel cases.

ubu

I like the Braxton Hats. Dortmund and Basel are really good. Willisau is what it is. Santa Cruz and Charlie Parker are magnificent. 8 +3 Tristano is one of the better standards outings, 1979 Quartet is an undersung gem, and the 1976 Donaueschingen appearance with George Lewis is an affectionate romp.

Many of these are sadly OOP, though Willisau is about to make a comeback.

I don't have any Hat LPs that didn't make it to CD, so can't answer that aprt of the question.

For those who, like me, need a mnemonic, a complete-looking text listing can be found here

I bought quite a number of their LPs when they came out. The Cecil Taylors, the Jimmy Lyonses, the Roach-Braxtons, Roach-Shepps, David Murrays and some more. I also got the Albert Ayler Lorrach/Paris 1966 double LP which turned out to be a nightmare of its own since LP1 played the regular 33rpm speed while LP2 (also 12inch) played at 45rpm and since my turntable is one of those beautiful Jean-Francois Le Tallec models with heavy glass platters and no switch to go from 33 to 45, to play 45ers you have to remove the platters and move the small belt one notch. Lot of trouble but that's the only complaint I have with this fantastic machine which has kept me happy for something like 20 years.

Now that Hat Hut/Hat Art/Hatology or whatever have gone the CD way, I have bought some. Wish they were not priced as if they came out of Switzerland ;)

Among the favorites are the Steve Lacy/Roswell Rudd 'School Days', the Jimmy Lyons/Sonny Murray 'Jump Up', the Braxton'Eight (+3 Tristano Compositions for Warne Marsh'. I'm exploring the label and adding some when the price is right.

David, do you mean Braxton's 1991 Willisau performance (with Marilyn Crispell), or his 1979 performance (with Ray Anderson)? Either way, I'd love to see those concerts reissued on hatOLOGY.

Who's heard Daunik Lazro? Joe McPhee has pointed to him as an inspiration, and I don't know a thing about the guy.

David, do you mean Braxton's 1991 Willisau performance (with Marilyn Crispell), or his 1979 performance (with Ray Anderson)? Either way, I'd love to see those concerts reissued on hatOLOGY.

1991. I forgot that 1979 was in Willisau too. I am assuming that the report in jazzmatazz is correct.

BTW, anybody in UK trying to figure ourt how to plug into the much vaunted Hat midprice offer could try the harmonia mundi uk site. Search on HATO or HATN to pull down all the hat titles.

Edited by David Ayers

And what albums, still LP-only, would you like to see make it onto compact disc?

Braxton's Composition 98, on lp was a 2 disc set with both a studio and concert version of the piece. The "live" version was performed 5 days after the studio job.

I have the cd and the lp set. This was a quartet with Hugh Ragin, Ray Anderson and Marilyn Crispell.

Joe McPhee's Oleo is due for re-release in Feb-04, according to the Hat website. But if you click on the CD cover, in order to review the back cover info, it looks as if the reissue cover was printed up in 2002. Does anybody know if the label went and did up some/all covers for reissues, well ahead of the remastering work? I'm only asking to try and determine whether they are holding new/reissue product back until their channel ships/clears more inventory. They are sitting on a lot of great stuff that I am suddenly listening to over the past year.

Warne Marsh's Ne Plus Ultra orginally released on LP by Revelation was reissued on CD by hat art. Would love to see that available once again.

Keep an eye on e-Bay. It occasionally (and I do mean occasionally) pops up there. Usually not much bidding on Warne items either (although the Imperial stuff seems the exception), so if you play your hand cool, you might get a good deal. I did.

Joe McPhee's Oleo is due for re-release in Feb-04, according to the Hat website. But if you click on the CD cover, in order to review the back cover info, it looks as if the reissue cover was printed up in 2002. Does anybody know if the label went and did up some/all covers for reissues, well ahead of the remastering work? I'm only asking to try and determine whether they are holding new/reissue product back until their channel ships/clears more inventory. They are sitting on a lot of great stuff that I am suddenly listening to over the past year.

Most likely the artwork was finished in 2002, but the covers/cds not produced. The cover on the site would be reproduced from the artwork files, not a scan of printed material.

High marks from me for the Braxton Wilisau ('91), JUMP UP, the Satie, and the new Giuffre re-issue (FLIGHT/EMPHASIS), which just seems to grow more revelatory each time I listen to it. Also Ran Blake's HORACE IS BLUE. And a big, big favorite: Horace Tapscott's THE DARK TREE V. 1 & 2.

Great news about McPhee and OLEO. I wish somebody would re-issue his Giuffre tribute (a CELP, rather than Hat, release originally).

Have any of you tried the hat(now)ART titles, or the hatNOIR titles? Which ones, and which ones do you recommend?

I tried once again last night to listen to Loren MazzaCane Connors: A Possible Dawn (hatNOIR 801) but failed yet again to make it to the finish line. A solo guitar disk not impossible to imagine someone liking but not for me.

I don't think I'd take the chance on another hatNOIR title as that particular line seems to be geered toward the younger folk.

Also not too fond of Paul Dunmall, John Adams, Mark Sanders: Ghostly Thoughts (hatOLOGY 503) although I've had just one listen. At points, this one gets just TOO LOUD for my liking.

I took advantage of the Zweit... deal and bought 30+ titles at around $5.50 each. STILL haven't listened to the entire batch but I'm in no hurry. I must admit that I get a bit of a thrill knowing that there's these Swiss beauties just WAITING to share their charms with this listener. :wub:

Favorites? That would make for a long list. Here's a few...

Urs Leimgruber, Joëlle Léandre, Fritz Hauser: No Try No Fail (hatOLOGY 509)

Lauren Newton: Filigree (hatOLOGY 519)

Ellery Eskelin with Andrea Parkins & Jim Black: Kulak, 29 & 30 (hatOLOGY 521)

Matthew Shipp Horn Quartet: Strata (hatOLOGY 522)

STILL ON THE HUNT FOR...

Clusone 3: Rara Avis (hatOLOGY 523)

Anyone?

Edited by Chaney

Also not too fond of Paul Dunmall, John Adams, Mark Sanders:  Ghostly Thoughts  (hatOLOGY 503) although I've had just one listen.  At points, this one gets just TOO LOUD for my liking.

I'd put it even more strongly: a totally uninteresting effort, with lots of "noodling" and boring guitar playing :tdown

Favorites?  That would make for a long list.  Here's a few...

Urs Leimgruber, Joëlle Léandre, Fritz Hauser:  No Try No Fail  (hatOLOGY 509)

Lauren Newton:  Filigree  (hatOLOGY 519)

Ellery Eskelin with Andrea Parkins & Jim Black:  Kulak, 29 & 30  (hatOLOGY 521)

Matthew Shipp Horn Quartet:  Strata  (hatOLOGY 522)

I second Tony's recommendations of No Try No Fail (with the exception of Joëlle Léandre's thankfully very short vocalizing), Kulak 29&30, and Strata. I'm not a fan of "improv vocals", so I can't comment on the Lauren Newton disk.

I'd recommend these Ellery Eskelin's hatOLOGY disks (unfortunately, some of them are out of print):

One Great Day - hatOLOGY 502

Kulak 29&30 - hatOLOGY 521

Five Other Pieces (+2) - hatOLOGY 533

Dissonant Characters - hatOLOGY 534

Ramifications - hatOLOGY 551

The Secret Museum - hatOLOGY 552

Vanishing Point - hatOLOGY 577

I don't know yet what to think of

Arcanum Moderne - hatOLOGY 588; played it only once.

I don't know yet what to think of

Arcanum Moderne - hatOLOGY 588; played it only once.

Same here.

I fear that the Eskelin trio has run its course and they've nothing new to say.

And with their upcoming anniversary disk to feature vocalist Jessica Constable, :rfr .