• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dusty Groove is listing reissues of As Serious As Your Life and Morning Joy for October.

These are out.

So - I go to Dusty Groove & try to buy Morning Joy.

The next day I get an e-mail saying it's "sold out".

I e-mail Squidco, & Phil says it's not out yet but they'll carry it when it's released.

What's going on??

Dusty Groove usually only buys a couple copies of each title, and so they usually go quick. They seem to get the first line on new Hat Hut releases even though Squidco is supposed to be the "official US seller". So Squidco will get copies down the line (I would guess within a few weeks) and Dusty Groove will restock, but probably not for awhile.

As for hat reissues, I notice that the reissue of Köln 1978 from 2009 is still in print. That makes me wonder if the demand is really there. No wonder the program is slow.

Great album! One of the few Hats i have.

Agreed.

I bought Köln when it first came out, and while my copy no longer has the price label on it I know it would have cost more, then, in 1995, than amazon uk's current list price.

And yet, As Serious As Your Life is about to arrive, so somehow the reissues continue. And there are so many new releases across the board that there must be a market of some sort. I am guessing that almost everything makes a loss for the label or as Chuck describes is subsidised by the artist.

• 1 month later...

The never-endingly frustrating Upcoming Releases (starting April 2015) has been updated yet again with a million more additions and really frustrating new configurations of the items dogging this list for 10 years:

http://www.hathut.com/upcoming

(If you think not reissuing the Braxton stuff for 20-25 years is getting old, just wait until he puts out one half and never releases the other...)

Obligatory bitching, however, must be countered by obligatory thanks for all the label has done and continues to do despite all odds ...

There's some interesting Steve Lacy discs being teased:

• Steve Lacy • Shots with Masa Kwate & Irene Aebi
    [reissue of Musica 3024]
  • 700 Steve Lacy Trio • Lugano 1984 Live

The Willisau Braxton is kind of like Lucy's football gag on Charlie Brown--it keeps getting put out there tantalizingly and then pulled back. I have seen it promised as split into two volumes before--it actually makes more sense as I much prefer the studio sides to the concert. Splitting Santa Cruz in half is odd, though.

My first thought with the split CDs is that this will produce more revenue, because consumers will have to buy both. Figure $19.99 x 2=$39.98, versus something like $24.95 or even $29.95 for a double. If this is the price one has to pay to get Willisau or Santa Cruz, it's worth it, and still cheaper than current market. I can't see any other reason for it.

Yes, and once they go out of print again you can pay 2x $'same astronomical amount' to get a complete set. Or get sent the wrong volume from second hand sellers. Fun.

This is the problem with Garden. I've never seen either individual volume at a price that wouldn't be laughable for the whole thing.

• 2 months later...

Squidco is having a Hat sale: buy 3 titles and get 50% off. I still need the two Aylers but am not turning up a third option....

As per DG, looks like the next releases are Cecil Taylor - Garden Pt. 1, Ellery Eskelin - Solo Live at Snugs, and ..... Braxton's Santa Cruz. They do not denote 'Vol. 1' on the latter so I"m assuming this will be the full 2CD set. They also list Steve Lacy - Shots for April.