• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunate they didnt change the packaging. Two of my discs (including Taylor’s One Too Many Salty) are damaged. What mostly happens with this kind of packaging is that some dust or something harder gets stuck inside the cardboard. Then, when shoving your cd in, a large scratch is made and you’re cd is unplayable. Despite checking the same happened to one of my ECM touchstones (same kind of packing. The Japanese mini LP’s got a nice jacket for the cd to prevent from such things to happen.

• 1 year later...

I think it is great stuff, to get a Chance to hear all those masters when they did Europe. Actually it seems that Graz in Austria was quite open for then Avantgarde jazz, they had a string of great concerts in the 60´s. Jimmy Giuffree, here John Coltrane, and on an obscure italian LP Max Roach and Sonny Rollins in Graz. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, Д.Д. said:

It can't get more ridiculous, can it? 

10562168-ezzthetics_1111-1-1_600x540px-e  10562171-ezzthetics_1111-1-4_600x540px-c 

Two Bird reissues: Vol 1.: Selected Dial Recordings & Vol 2.: Selected Savoy Recordings. Most members here, I'm guessing, already have these recordings, but I bet the sound is good. Peter Pfister has done a remarkable job with the Ayler recordings, the Coltrane, and the Giuffre. I wonder what's next in "ezz-thetics" list. What else might be "revisited"?

11 minutes ago, Late said:

Two Bird reissues: Vol 1.: Selected Dial Recordings & Vol 2.: Selected Savoy Recordings. Most members here, I'm guessing, already have these recordings, but I bet the sound is good. Peter Pfister has done a remarkable job with the Ayler recordings, the Coltrane, and the Giuffre. I wonder what's next in "ezz-thetics" list. What else might be "revisited"?

For some of us these tracks are surrounded by alternates and false starts. These new ones could really serve a purpose even for us. But CDs have a limited uptake these days. 

2 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

For some of us these tracks are surrounded by alternates and false starts. These new ones could really serve a purpose even for us.

Agreed. I burned various comps long ago (Dial, Savoy, Verve), but these new sets do have an appeal. And for people who don't have this music, this is where I'd point them.

44 minutes ago, Late said:

Peter Pfister has done a remarkable job with the Ayler recordings, the Coltrane, and the Giuffre. I wonder what's next in "ezz-thetics" list. What else might be "revisited"?

Coltrane and Giuffre were mastered from the original ORF recordings, not sure about Aylers but there is a mention that the release is authorized by his estate, perhaps there was some agreement with ESP Disk regarding source material for CD mastering. For Parker Savoy / Dial stuff the mastering source is in all probability a previously commercially released CD - what sort of ""remarkable" sound improvement can one expect?    

1 minute ago, Д.Д. said:

Coltrane and Giuffre were mastered from the original ORF recordings, not sure about Aylers but there is a mention that the release is authorized by his estate, perhaps there was some agreement with ESP Disk regarding source material for CD mastering. For Parker Savoy / Dial stuff the mastering source is in all probability a previously commercially released CD - what sort of ""remarkable" sound improvement can one expect?    

Maybe none, but the mastering is said to be AAD. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Ayler appears to be a two-disc reissue of:

R-7213192-1436297344-7904.jpeg.jpg

R-3151281-1318133560.jpeg.jpg

I never got around to picking up the Stockholm/Berlin set, so it's nice that it'll be available once again.

I also have Yasmina, but not Blasé, so the Shepp too is a welcome reissue. I hope that Werner keeps digging through the hat archive as well as other labels. If ezz-thetics essentially becomes a reissue label, I'm for it.

• 1 month later...