Late

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crikey - I love Arcanum Moderne .

I have played it a fair few times though - maybe it might be worth giving it a few more spins.

I picked this up on your recommendation Gary. Like it so far , really pretty different from the only other one I have heard from this group "Secret Museum" , this new one seems altogether funkier if you know what I mean. Still listening.

Thought some might be interested in this email that I received from Downton Music Gallery (DMG. I am not going to post the entire list, but the fact that there is a sale should interest some.

THE BIGGEST HAT LABEL SALE YET!!! OVER 140 HATOLOGY - HAT[NOW] -

HAT-ART TITLES!!!

36 HAT TITLES HAVE JUST BEEN ADDED TO OUR 7 FOR THE PRICE OF 6 SALE

LIST !!!!!!!!

OK! We've come by some limited stocks of these 36 HAT(ology) and

HAT[now]ART titles that we can sell to you below well our wholesale

[so now you know how little our margin usually is!]

NONE of these 36 were listed in our Oct 03 HAT Sale [so dont fall

asleep on this one!]

NORMALLY $17, ALL HAT TITLES BELOW ARE NOW $12 EACH

- AND ANY 7 FOR THE PRICE OF 6 [$72] !!! THAT'S $10.30 EACH!!

- WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!!!

- When these items are gone, they will be OUT-OF-PRINT AT ANY PRICE!

..PLUS.... 79 OUT-OF-PRINT HAT-ARTs -

$20 WHEN THEY WERE IN PRINT - NOW $12 EACH [for single CDs]!!!! [not part of '7 for 6' sale, see Part 2 of this email]

AND FINALLY, SOME OF THE OLDER 'HAT ART' [6000] SERIES, WHICH ARE

EFFECTIVELY OUT-OF-PRINT, ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FOR $12 for SINGLE Cds

[higher for 2 CD, 3CD etc. sets]

[YOU MAY ORDER NOW AND TELL US TO WAIT TILL THE END OF THIS WEEKEND [1/25] TO SHIP IN CASE YOU HAVE ANY ADD-ONS FROM TOMORROW'S NEWSLETTER. SOME

ITEMS MAY HAVE TO WAIT FOR ADDITIONAL STOCK ARRIVAL NEXT WEEK]

Does anyone have Guillermo Gregorio's or Mike Westbrook's work on Hat?

If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on/recommendations for certain albums.

Listened to the Vienna Art Orchestra's The Minimalism of Erik Satie and From No Time to Rag Time, both on hat, just yesterday. Gorgeous stuff. Roman Schwaller is a hugely under-remarked tenor player. Great sound, great chops, inside/outside ideas ... sheez. So many of the younger American tenor players today, in my opinion, could learn a lot from listening to tenor players like Schwaller.

Got two of the Westbrook releases, On Duke's Birthday & the live Rossini 2-disc set. Hm, both are OK--I'm keenest on the Duke tribute--but neither have become favourites with me. I like the opening track on ODB a lot, but some of the later ones less so, & the lyrics Kate W. sings are atrocious, though fortunately it's mostly an instrumental disc.

The o/p Hats I hope most they'll reissue are (1) Blake's Gershwin disc & (2) Cecil Taylor's Garden. I have the former but not the latter.

A heads-up: Hat just recently updated their site. No new titles in their "pending" section, but the last and final batch of their mid-price series has been posted. Time to jump on the Braxton Dortmund set (and Bley's Annette) if you haven't already!

Just received 9 hats in the mail this week. Time to brew more coffee and soak them in. (Spun Taylor's Garden, Part Two first. Beautiful — at times even more moving than Silent Tongues.)

• 1 year later...

Some hatOLOGY titles appear to be making their (actual) final exit from the usual vendors. Prices (e.g. at Squidco and Cadence) have also seen a spike.

Would like to see Lacy's Ballets and Tips make it out before the money dries up (again).

I never made it to Ellery Eskelin's Forms. How is it?

Did Hat lose the rights to Ne Plus Ultra? You would think that they would have reissued it by now.

Maybe we should ask that question on the Warne Marsh thread? According to the Marsh discography, there is a lot of unreleased material from that session.

• 6 months later...

We plan to do an interview with WX Uehlinger within the coming 14 days or so, for our next radio show in November. Of course the reason we're doing this is the 30th anniversary.

Now I'd be happy for some input from y'all (yawl, or how do them texans pronounce that again?). Any questions, any hints what *not* to ask, anything you always wanted to know about that hat hut (what a great & weird name, btw!).

I had the idea that we may ask him to name us a handful of favourite recordings that are out in the hatOLOGY series (I have maybe half of those releases... or a third, I don't know, plus my friend has some, and he's also got some LPs, and between the two of us we may have 15 or 20 "old" hatArt CDs, too - of course there are gaps in our collection, but mainly we want it to be an interview.

Aspects we could ask him about may be:

- what's his vision today, musically

- how's the situation financially and market-wise, where does he sell his stuff

- what's his approach to "coaching" musicians and their projects

- what's the concept behind his release-scheme (not just the $$)

- how did he get into modern composed music

- how did his Joe McPhee fan-project turn into a visionary (?) label

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty of aspects...

Any input welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

My only question would be: What is the current fiscal health of the label?

I can't help but fear that Hat will not be around in five years time.

Oh, and what about Braxton's Willisau? :ph34r: