All Things Hat

Late

The Bennik/Doran/Anderson and One Great Day are out.

I stumbled on this bit from a Ken Peplowski blindfold test that's got me very excited to hear the Carter-Bradford that will be out in the next batch:

10. John Carter, "Encounter" (from "Comin' On," Hat Art, 1988) Carter, clarinet; Bobby Bradford, cornet; Don Preston, synthesizer; Richard Davis, bass; Andrew Cyrille, drums.

PEPLOWSKI: I like this very much. The writing sounds a little bit influenced by Miles, and I love the use of electronics as pure sound sometimes instead of trying to imitate another instrument. It's pretty refreshing. [PAUSE]

John Carter. Guessed it. As soon as he started doing the upper register thing, I knew it was him. [PAUSE]

As most stars as I can give, 5-6, whatever. This is very refreshing music to me. I think it's completely not pretentious. It's fresh, it's exciting, interesting writing and playing, and the use of electronics is really well done and really integrated into the ensemble. It's really great. [PAUSE] The thing that strikes me is that it really sounds like a band playing together. This is the way music is supposed to be. And John Carter is completely unbridled. It's really open. I have a feeling that he does exactly what he wants to do, and he doesn't have any limits to what he's trying to achieve. It's great. I think his music is as important, maybe more so, than Ornette's music as far as this kind of thing. The writing is as interesting, and I just love the way they use the electronics. It's really free and open, and yet at the same time it's got a structure to it, and everybody is listening and reacting to each other.

TP: Talk about his clarinet style. Is he an innovative clarinet player?

PEPLOWSKI: He's innovative in the sense that he does on the clarinet what people like Ornette and maybe Eric Dolphy did on the saxophone. He kind of plays completely free and open… You know, a lot of clarinet players sound a little bit too controlled. It's part of the nature of the instrument. You're taught from the beginning that you have to play with this rigid embouchure, and the ideal sound on the clarinet is this wooden, kind of round sound, and as soon as you start fluctuating from that, the tone kind of goes. The technique is a little bit difficult. So it's refreshing to hear somebody that's gone past some of those restrictions. The only way I can describe is he's a completely open player, which on the clarinet is kind of rare to hear.

The Bobby Bradford-John Carter was definitely the best thing I heard, because it's the most refreshing. Frankly, sometimes I get bored just hearing the same things over and over. Sometimes you get the feeling that it's all been played, and then you hear something like that, and you realize there's life yet in music. It's an eye-opener.

Comin' On is indeed very good. Interesting to read Peplowski's thoughts - thanks for posting

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Friend,

The following two new CDs are on the way to the distributors.

hatOLOGY 706

Samuel Blaser Quartet

Samuel Blaser tb, Marc Ducret gt , Banz Oester bs, Gerlad Cleaver dm.

Recorded live Lausanne Zurich, Basel October 2010..

Boundless

hatOLOGY 717

Albert Ayler Quintet

Albert Ayler ts, Donal Ayler tp, Michel Samson vl, William Folwell bs,

Beaver Harris dm. Recorded live Stockholm, Berlin 1966

Best regards,

Werner X. Uehlinger

Hat Hut Records LTD.

Box 521

4020 Basel, Switzerland

wxu.hathut.com@bluewin.ch

Phone +41.61.373.0773

http://www.hathut.com

The Journey Continues the 37th Year too!

Edited by Adam

Up after that are 689: Marc Copland/Dave Liebman Duo - Impressions and 688: Noah Kaplan Quartet - Descendants.

I will certainly get the Ayler. Anyone have an opinion on Noah Kaplan or Samuel Blaser?

Rather uninspiring lot this time around. One project listed on the future releases is a Ran Blake album of George Russell music. Very interested to hear more about that one.

Up after that are 689: Marc Copland/Dave Liebman Duo - Impressions and 688: Noah Kaplan Quartet - Descendants.

I will certainly get the Ayler. Anyone have an opinion on Noah Kaplan or Samuel Blaser?

Rather uninspiring lot this time around. One project listed on the future releases is a Ran Blake album of George Russell music. Very interested to hear more about that one.

I've not come across Kaplan or Blaser at all. Rather odd choices methinks, unless Werner wants to get away from strictly reissues. The Ayler is a MUST. I'm still hoping and waiting for a handful of primo Braxtons, including the Santa Cruz album.

I've not come across Kaplan or Blaser at all. Rather odd choices methinks, unless Werner wants to get away from strictly reissues. The Ayler is a MUST. I'm still hoping and waiting for a handful of primo Braxtons, including the Santa Cruz album.

Blaser made some waves with a Clean Feed release featuring Tyshawn Sorey iirc and also had an intriguing duo disc with Pierre Favre. I, for one, am pleased to see Hat promoting some new and young talent, especially if the ever-special Mr. Ducret is involved

I have heard some Blaser and he is worth a listen. Besides, I will purchase just about anything with Gerald Cleaver - one of my favorite drummers and someone that I have gotten to know a little who I think is a wonderful person.

Cleaver is a monster, although his last solo album on FSNT left me a little cold. Blaser is no slouch either. He's one of the more innovative trombonists out there today, IMHO.

Btw, I am not convinced that the Ayler is in fact a must have.

Still waiting for a reissue of Braxton's Dortmund 1976 and the 4 cd Willisau set.

I have heard some Blaser and he is worth a listen. Besides, I will purchase just about anything with Gerald Cleaver - one of my favorite drummers and someone that I have gotten to know a little who I think is a wonderful person.

Cleaver is a monster, although his last solo album on FSNT left me a little cold.

me too. hobbled by its ambition I thought

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Friend,

February 15, 2012 the following new CD:

hatLOGY 709

Marco von Orelli 6

Close Ties On Hidden Lanes (new)

Marco von Orelli -trumpet; Lukas Briggen -trombone; Lukas Roos - bass clarinet;

Michael Wintsch . piano & synthesizer; Kaspar von GrĂĽningen - double bass; Samuel DĂĽhsler - drums.

7 52156 070924

Music of invention, recollection, and imagination. Images, metaphors and associations that show us ways out of whateverism. And yet a music that can stand alone by itself – the music of a trumpet player who has an unmistakable tendency to melos and at the same time is fully aware that you have to break with tradition if you want to come up with an authentic melody. On this debut album under his own name, Marco von Orelli also reveals himself as a conceptualist capable of creating a unique ensemble sound. A great contrast to conventional stylistic concepts, this sound is based on such structuralprinciples as change and variation, as it evolves within anself-determined system of coordinates...Following hidden lanes together, they are a close-knit collective. - Bert Noglik

Musique de l'invention, de la mémoire et de l'imagination. Images, métaphores et associations tracent autant de voies pour sortir de l'aléatoire. Et pourtant, cette musique ne peut se suffire entièrement à elle-même - musique d'un trompettiste porté distinctement au mélodrame et, en même temps, pleinement conscient des incidents qu'une mélodie doit intégrer aujourd'hui pour paraître authentique. Sur ce premier album édité sous son nom propre, Marco von Orelli se révèle lui-même comme un conceptualiste capable de créer une musique d'ensemble toute personnelle. Celle-ci se démarque des notions stylistiques traditionnelles, au sens où elle adopte le changement et la variation comme principe structurel évolutif au sein d'un système de coordonnées autodéfini... Dans ces passages cachés qu'ils empruntent ensemble, les musiciens sont solidement reliés entre eux. - Bert Noglik

Reprinting and repressing of edition 1

which we underestimated:

hatOLOGY 717

Albert Ayler Quintet

Stockholm, Berlin 1966

7 52156 071723<br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break">

Albert Ayler ts, Donal Ayler tp, Michel Samson vl, William Folwell bs, Beaver Harris dm.

Recorded live November 1966 by Swedish Radio and WDR in Stockholm & Berlin 1966.

Liner Notes by John Litweiler. Digifile packaging 49 gramms. Coverphoto taken at the Berlin concert.

Albert Ayler's 1966 European tour produced several of the most inspired concerts of his sadly abbreviated career. Of the surviving tapes from the tour, those from

Berlin have been the most abused, while those from Stockholm are all but unknown. This is the first release of these performances, in digitally remastered sound, to be approved by and officially and legally licensed from the Ayler Estate and the

copyright holders of these tapes. – John Litweiler

La tournée européenne 1966 d'Albert Ayler a donné lieu à plusieurs des concerts

les plus inspirés de la carrière tristement abrégée du saxophoniste. Sur les bandes rescapées d'alors, celles de Berlin ont été les plus malmenées, tandis que celles de

Stockholm sont quasiment inconnues.

Il s'agit là de la première parution en son numérique remasterisé de ces concerts à être approuvée et distribuée sous licence officielle et légale de la Succession Ayler

et des détenteurs du copyright sur ces bandes – John Litweiler

Edited by Adam

Hm, only 3 new titles announced this quarter:

Jimmy Lyons/Sunny Murray Trio JUMP UP

Marco Von Orrelli 6 CLOSE TIES ON HIDDEN LANES

Eskelin/LiebmanMarino/Black NON SEQUITORS

Nice to see the Lyons but still still still waiting on a few that have been dangled before us for years.

Boy, I'd like to know the release date for that one. There's only five weeks left to this quarter.

Nice to see the Lyons but still still still waiting on a few that have been dangled before us for years.

Boy, I'd like to know the release date for that one. There's only five weeks left to this quarter.

Quarter in Hat's schedule that is. These are their releases through April, then they'll put out a new batch May-July, August-Oct, Nov-Jan, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Quarter in Hat's schedule that is. These are their releases through April, then they'll put out a new batch May-July, August-Oct, Nov-Jan, etc.

I was told Jump Up ships before the end of the month. :party:

Only remaining past Hats I need are Braxton's Dortmund 1976 and the ever elusive 4 cd Willisau set.

I just might cave one day and drop the $150 people want for Willisau.

I've been kicking myself since that day over 15 years ago when I picked it up and put it down at the Tower at Lincoln Center because I thought $60 was too much.

If you look at the Hat website, its reissue is at least on the upcoming releases schedule.

Werner lost a large part of his funding a few years ago. It's more difficult to release things when you have to pony up your own money. Hang in there. I consider him one of the great European champions of jazz. He still releases many worthwhile recordings, IMHO. If he never gets back around to those Braxtons, I'll still be able to die a happy man!