All Things Hat

Late

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that Braxton Willisau is the 4-disc box, right?

Yes it is. Includes the only studio sides of the Braxton/Crispell/Dresser/Hemingway quartet plus two discs of a live concert.

I'm happy they're reissuing this as I missed out on it the first time.

On a related note, does anyone know how many 2 cd sets are in the Leo "Coventry" series of concerts by this quartet?

Welcome to the board JETman! Yes, good news about the Willisau release -- I also missed out.

I believe there are three 2-CD sets released by Leo -- Quartet (Coventry), Quartet (London), and Quartet (Birmingham).

Lots of good information here.

Correct. Ulli Blobel also released an unauthorized, butchered 1-CD version of Coventry.

Werner XXX has done great work but he's managed his catalog poorly & the fact that certain Hats became collectible even on cd is asinine. (Vinyl, I understand, & had almost the entire gatefold & pizza box catalog at one time.)

the Feldman shit should have been boxed.

the Cage stuff should have been boxed.

the McPhee stuff have have been boxed.

Tony should have been boxed a couple different ways.

it'd MAKE money even at budget (per disc)-- sitting on this shit accomplishes... what, precisely?

the last 5-6-7 years have been pretty hit or miss for new releases too-- & some spectacular clunkers as well.

what the fuck gives?

edc does not know

Werner lost a funding partner in 1990s and it's no easy business putting out the kind of music he does. However, keeping the label's most representative works out-of-print for such long stretches is never a great idea.

Werner XXX has done great work but he's managed his catalog poorly & the fact that certain Hats became collectible even on cd is asinine. (Vinyl, I understand, & had almost the entire gatefold & pizza box catalog at one time.)

the Feldman shit should have been boxed.

the Cage stuff should have been boxed.

the McPhee stuff have have been boxed.

Tony should have been boxed a couple different ways.

it'd MAKE money even at budget (per disc)-- sitting on this shit accomplishes... what, precisely?

the last 5-6-7 years have been pretty hit or miss for new releases too-- & some spectacular clunkers as well.

what the fuck gives?

edc does not know

Werner lost a funding partner in 1990s and it's no easy business putting out the kind of music he does. However, keeping the label's most representative works out-of-print for such long stretches is never a great idea.

That partner was the UBS, (one of) the largest bank in Switzerland (and by now suffering badly from the US subprime crisis...)

Thing is (I did an interview with W. Uehlinger a few years ago), he simply doesn't bother that much to do reissues. He can handle a certain number of releases each year, and his main focus is still on releasing new music, music by people he believes in. I don't see fit to question that decision, though I'd certainly be glad about some CDs being less "collectable", too.

Hey, I do like the cardboard packages! (Not necessarily the photos and cover fonts, though...)

Thing is, the aim is to create something physical - now purists may call that bull and consider it old-fashioned anachronism in CD or now digital age, but it's about creating something nicer, less plastic than the ugly (but practical, of course) jewel cases.

between the lines did similar beautiful packages, but they were swallowed up by some larger enterprise and by now only the design remains, but the covers themselves are now packed in the usual jewel cases.

I guess the way to look at the cardboard covers is that this is not a product to endure for ages - I know most of us think the CD is (I think like that, too, having come up in the CD era entirely), but that's just a fiction in the end. This is the kind of product that grows older and changes, like we all do (ok ok, now that's bull, too... but somehow I like the idea...)

clem, I can relate to what you say... in fact I actually agree.

seems to me that yes, ego is involved, as is old age.

but one thing that I can't deny is that he's releasing albums by younger european players whom I like and whom I feel have more to say than some 'merican douchebags that are all over the scene (both mainstream and avantgarde wise).

the problem as I can see is that he's more or less doing all the work himself, the business he runs being very small, so he's focusing on looking forward, rather than looking back. the "disservice" phrase is a bit harsh, I'd say... he did put out all of that stuff, it's still out there somewhere, and hopefully some are still listening to it, not just possessing it as assets or whatever bull.

anyway, I'd certainly wish he'd do both: reissue his old catalogue and continue his venture to discover and release new stuff.

and one last thing: you can't blame him if the current scene doesn't have any McPhee's to discover that everybody forgot about... the internet certainly did change things in that respect - and he's not to blame for the quality (or lack thereof) of the current music scenes.

and in my opinion, he did pick a few interesting musicians, such as Colin Vallon or Manuel Mengis - I don't assume anyone cares about that in the US or the world in general, but then Uehlinger doesn't need to care about that, much, either...

Here's what I think, and I say this with love - I think you all are expressing self-centered views and exhibiting a true lake of empathy. :-)

I think, based on direct correspondence, that Werner is aging, tired, willing to pass on his business to a caring person but hasn't found anyone, running the operation close to single-handedly.

I think that given the limits of time and money, he puts out as much as he can. I think you all are giving no thought at all to the time, cost, and work that is actually involved in putting out a reissue (or a new release). He has decided to stress new music rather than reissues to help prove that this music continues to evolve, and that not everyone making it are 60 years old or more. I think if one of you wanted to come in and take over the work needed to reissue things he would be delighted to have you. I think he puts out more than enough reissues to satisfy my bank account and the time available to listen to them.

I think he listens to the market and cuts his wholesale or consignment prices drastically after a period of time to make sure that the CDs sell and that more people can get them. Show me another niche label like his that has $5 sales for new CDs. ECM? Emanem? FMP? Ogun?

If you have the energy and desire, you can probably ask to take over Hat and make an offer.

I think his efforts come closer to being heroic than to anything else, but he is a human being with limits and faults and aging ears, but all of our ears will dim with age.

Here's what I think, and I say this with love - I think you all are expressing self-centered views and exhibiting a true lake of empathy. :-)

I think, based on direct correspondence, that Werner is aging, tired, willing to pass on his business to a caring person but hasn't found anyone, running the operation close to single-handedly.

I think that given the limits of time and money, he puts out as much as he can. I think you all are giving no thought at all to the time, cost, and work that is actually involved in putting out a reissue (or a new release). He has decided to stress new music rather than reissues to help prove that this music continues to evolve, and that not everyone making it are 60 years old or more. I think if one of you wanted to come in and take over the work needed to reissue things he would be delighted to have you. I think he puts out more than enough reissues to satisfy my bank account and the time available to listen to them.

I think he listens to the market and cuts his wholesale or consignment prices drastically after a period of time to make sure that the CDs sell and that more people can get them. Show me another niche label like his that has $5 sales for new CDs. ECM? Emanem? FMP? Ogun?

If you have the energy and desire, you can probably ask to take over Hat and make an offer.

I think his efforts come closer to being heroic than to anything else, but he is a human being with limits and faults and aging ears, but all of our ears will dim with age.

Hey, I agree - I did mention some of the points you're making (already back then when I did that interview - not sure it's in this thread or in others). I am still at university and have no business knowledge whatsoever (and nothing at all to offer...), but that thought still did cross my mind for a second, back then... and some other points you make are quite valid, too - he's releasing about as many discs per year as does Blue Note (which is part of a huge corporation), and I too struggle to keep up with buying all that I'm interested in (and I did heavily make use of the great sale he's offering to stock up on items I never came around or simply couldn't afford at full prize).

I think you all are giving no thought at all to the time, cost, and work that is actually involved in putting out a reissue (or a new release).

All he has to do is keep the "in demand" titles in print. I doubt there's much time or work involved other than coming up with the cash to press up a new round.