Rock is the new Jazz

DukeCity

I thought hip-hop was the new jazz? But now it turns out that rock is the new jazz, which makes hip-hop the new rock.

Damn, that's a bummer, because in general, I can get with good hip hop more than I can good rock (in general, rock stopped swinging decades ago), but now good hip-hop is good rock, so there goes that.

I guess I just wasn't made for these times.

Rock is the new Jazz, at popmatters.com

Kinda funny, kinda sad. But he makes a point...

He sure does.

That article is a load of crap. I listen to "music where people play actual instruments", that's the only genre classification that interests me.

I don't think it's a load of crap at all. But either way, it won't affect my tastes in music.

That article is a load of crap. I listen to "music where people play actual instruments", that's the only genre classification that interests me.

A member of another online music board, in response to this same article, made the point that country is the new rock by that standard, as country artists are the ones today who stand and play their instruments and sing into a microphone, without drum machines, DJs, electronic effects, scores of dancers, and other pop production devices of today.

This is satire.

Most of this happened fifteen years ago anyway.

I did not get the impression that the writer was trying for satire. I agree that most of it happened 15 years ago and that the points made in the article are old hat.

Actually, jazz is the new folk. Did you ever hear a horse sing hip hop?

Also, jazz and traditional folk music probably have comparable sized audiences today.

"Rock" is way too broad a brush anymore, the style has evolved in so many different directions that term has become meaningless (just like the term Jazz). The article also doesn't take into account countries outside the U.S. where the various rock styles are more popular than here. Satire or not it's a poor article.

There's plenty of good music being made, it's just not getting released in the mainstream channels. That's fine with me, music from the underground is almost always superior.

It seems to me that popular music misses the original MTV, which seemed to draw from all the various genres and bring them together under the umbrella of music video. The songs all seemed to be catchy, by whatever process they managed to become hits on that channel.

Now the genres are all strictly separated by radio station. The listeners can immerse themselves in a single style with zero deviation. In doing so there's a tendency to be more tolerant of lesser songs within the genre. When one diversifies, one can be more choosy. There's less putting up with filler when there's more hits to choose from.

Listeners can spend all their time listening to the all the hits from years past on classic rock stations, without bothering to learn new songs. If a listener has the thirst for new music, they must find it themselves (or listen to the rare radio station like KCRW which actually has DJs who still play the role of selector).

There are plenty of older bands that still put out great music, there's just no place to hear any of it. Classic rock stations won't play ANYTHING current by these artists, if it didn't come out prior to 1985 it ain't getting played...and new rock stations won't play it because it's a legacy artist. It's a catch-22 of stupidity.