Hank's new record- its own thread

oh hey chewy :P , what u up 2 next week? oh nuthin, just PICKIN' UP THE NEW MOBLEY ALBUM

u see, '53, the beginning of it all, this is like the big bang of hard bop, right here. 52, what, theres that lou album, and horace silver trio, see horace didnt even HAVE A SAX PLAYER in 52, 1953...this is the starting gate.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, you expect chewy to behave like a helpful board member, as opposed to his usual, completely chew-chew-chewy style of posting?

And anyway it had its own perfectly good thread.

But I'll try to be helpful and put all the info in one place:

This too:

UPT2766Lg.jpg

Glad I clicked to reply to Chuck's post and found the image source. I had tried searching by "Hank Mobley" + "Newark 1953" and got zip on the interwebs and was really getting frustrated. But here are the details, such as they are, from cityhallrecords.com:

(2-CD set) To his early musical associates, Hank Mobley was considered a guru with a singular focus on music. This live recording, made at the popular Newark, NJ club, The Picadilly, precedes the 25 albums he recorded for Blue Note Records.The club had a motto, "If You Click at the Pic, You'll Click With The World." On this Monday night, everybody was clicking and Mobley clearly demonstrated that he was ready to launch his impressive musical career.

Release date: April 17 2012.

Two discs of live Hank in 1953. Holy bleeping Christ! April can't get here soon enough.

Its suspected or at least a possibility that Walter Davis, Jr. is the pianist, considering that they worked together in the house band at the Picadilly.

But assuming that the release date holds, we'll know about sidemen and tunes soon enough.

Edited by Dan Gould

Kind of amusing to check Amazon's listing of the Mobley release.

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought

Night Ballads - Montreal 1977 ~ Dexter Gordon

$17.08

Dogon A.D. ~ Julius Hemphill

5.0 out of 5 stars (11)

$16.74

:blink:

Gee do you think that pre-ordering person came from the Big O?

• 1 month later...

Recorded by the late Ozzie Cadena (September 28, 1953).

So Ozzie was sound man at The Pic? Or is this yet another session not related to the one Uptown is releasing?

He recorded another sessioon at the same location on November 2, 1953 (with Hank Mobley & Howard McGhee).

Something that is part of your Mobley discography or something newly discovered?

Uptown's website is strange. You'd think that would be the place where the new releases would be listed first, even made available for early sale. I remember that it was a month after release of the Richards, Christian and Gryce dates that Uptown finally posted them on the website. Looks like it will be the same with the Mobley and Gordon.

http://www.uptownrecords.net/home/

So, we probably won't know the personnel and full set of tunes 'til 4/17? I wonder at what point the on air host received advance copies for airplay? Oh well, about 15 1/2 days to go. I'm pretty tapped out for cash right now, so I'm hoping it will make it to itunes fast (gift certificate)

Marla

here's more info, including sound samples:

http://diskunion.net/jazz/ct/detail/JZ120403-54

HANK MOBLEY(ts)

BENNIE GREEN(tb)

WALTER DAVIS JR(p)

JIMMY SCHENCK(b)

CHARLI PERSIP(ds)

THE PICADILLY, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER, 28, 1953, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY

Disc 1

1. OW

2. THERE'S A SMALL HOTEL

3. BALLAD MEDLEY(DARN THAT DREAN, WHERE OR WHEN, IN LOVE IN VAIN, D.STARDUST)

4. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE

5. JUMPIN' WITH SYMPHONY SID

Disc 2

1. ANNOUNCEMENT

2. LULLABY OF BIRDLAND

3. EMBRACEABLE YOU

4. KEEN AND PEACHY

5. PENNIES FROM HEAVEN

6. BLUES IS GREEN

7. 'S WONDERFUL

I figured Walter Davis because he was part of the house band with Hank but Bennie Green on trombone is a real bonus for me. :party: :party:

Wait a sec - someone should cross-reference the jazz standards you hate thread to see which one of those are going to ruin this disc for some people.

Sounds pretty good. Thanks for posting. Any guesses as to how many pages the Uptown booklet will be, and the big issue - will you be able to get it back in the jewel case once you've removed it!?

Just pre-ordered a copy along with the Dexter.

Actually I ordered through the Uptown website by ordering 2 catalogue items (a 2CD set and a 1 CD set), and specifying that they send me the new ones instead. I just got a note from Robert S. saying that they will be posted on the website tonight. I always like to order directly from the label when I can. Really looking forward to hearing both (and setting an evening aside for reading).

http://www.uptownrecords.net/home/

Edited by John Tapscott