Newport in New York 1972

Tom in RI

I recently acquired this set on CD (I've had the LPs since the '70s). I've only listened on computer speakers, but it sounds good, not a needle drop. I really enjoyed listening to the jam sessions again, actually. It's 3 discs in a single digipack, available pretty cheap from amazon sellers (about $23).

Now that the question's been answered, is it ok to add that on the whole I find these musics to be good but not great, with the exception of the jam that puts together Buddy Tate, Charles McPherson, Cat Anderson, Jimmy Owens, Roland Hanna, Milt Buckner, Charles Mingus, & Alan Dawson, which is darn-near "desert island" music for me?

My hands are on the record. I think I was at two of the Radio City jams, at the tender age of 16. At the end of one of them Curtis Mayfield came out to play the music from Superfly, which had just been released--apparently since the shows were being recorded for Buddha and they were also releasing or distributing the soundtrack.

I recently acquired this set on CD (I've had the LPs since the '70s). I've only listened on computer speakers, but it sounds good, not a needle drop. I really enjoyed listening to the jam sessions again, actually. It's 3 discs in a single digipack, available pretty cheap from amazon sellers (about $23).

I have it --- pretty sure it's a bootleg.

It's on Spotify:

That was the year I started going to jazz shows (not counting hearing but not seeing Miles at a Schaeffer concert in 1970 or '71, hanging out with my friends outside the rink). In February of that year I saw the Mingus and Friends concert, so my hands are on at least 2 records from '72.

Buckner was louder than shit!

There was a piano room at the Village Gate, on street level, that had no cover and no quiet policy. Two pianists who were able to cut through the noise were Harold Mabern and Benny Green.

Edited by Pete C

btw, that was the Schaefer concert that Monk opened for Miles - I think it was '70, and it's in Robin Kelly's book. I was there and Monk was practically asleep at the piano.

No, it was the show where Miles opened for Lee Michaels!

Further research shows that the original lineup was Miles & The Buddy Miles Express, but Buddy canceled and Lee Michaels was the replacement. I'm pretty sure Miles was on first. That was also the year (1970) that I saw Elton John as an opening act, for Leon Russell at the Fillmore.

The Schaeffer show with Monk was the prior year.

Edited by Pete C

Well Ken...either your ears are deceiving you or your computer is blurring things because they are the real needle drop issue!! I've hear it on a decent audio set and they sound not good and from LP.

But if you don't mind that it's the only way to get the set on cd for now.

Well Ken...either your ears are deceiving you or your computer is blurring things because they are the real needle drop issue!! I've hear it on a decent audio set and they sound not good and from LP.

But if you don't mind that it's the only way to get the set on cd for now.

I can't locate the CD to listen myself, but I guess my ears aren't what they used to be, and/or computer speakers are a poor substitute for a real stereo.

• 2 weeks later...

Cobblestone was Joe Fields & Don Schlitten. When they split, each took their stuff with them, more or less, or so it's been said. Fields to Muse, Schlitten to Xanadu.

For the Newport stuff, my LPs list Joe Fields as Executive Producer & Don Schlitten as Producer. Lord only knows what that meant in terms of the split.

Damn this is messy, and the recordings don't fall under the public domain yet in Europe or do they? cuz hasn't a lot of Muse stuff reverted to High Note? Joey D, Woody, Houston Person, Roney all recorded for Muse and have releases on High Note that if Muse was around, they'd be Muse releases.HN practically is Muse. Then Savoy has reissued Muse stuff for digital download. So if there was an official Newport in NY '72 release it'd be High Note I'd think.

Damn this is messy, and the recordings don't fall under the public domain yet in Europe or do they? cuz hasn't a lot of Muse stuff reverted to High Note? Joey D, Woody, Houston Person, Roney all recorded for Muse and have releases on High Note that if Muse was around, they'd be Muse releases.HN practically is Muse. Then Savoy has reissued Muse stuff for digital download. So if there was an official Newport in NY '72 release it'd be High Note I'd think.

Joe Fields owned Muse, and now he owns High Note and Savant (along with his son, Barney). That is the connection. Those Shaws he released on High Note were archival, and have absolutely no connection to Muse. I am sure he received permission from the estate to release them on his current label. He has nothing to do with the Muse catalogue anymore since he sold it in 1996 (the same year he founded the two aforementioned labels) to Joel Dorn for release on the 32 Jazz label. After Dorn passed, the Muse catalogue somehow ended up with Savoy. As a side note, Fields also owned the rights to the Savoy Records catalog for a time in the 1980s, having purchased the catalog from Arista Records, and subsequently selling it to Denon.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Yes, it does. Thank you :) This situation with the Newport albums is worse than like, who owns what for CTI (another big clusterf*ck) Does Denon have any US distributors? the only Savoy/Denoy release I have is the purple spine series edition of Blakey/JM's "Midnight Session" which IIRC a more complete version was issued a few years back.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Yes, it does. Thank you :) This situation with the Newport albums is worse than like, who owns what for CTI (another big clusterf*ck) Does Denon have any US distributors? the only Savoy/Denoy release I have is the purple spine series edition of Blakey/JM's "Midnight Session" which IIRC a more complete version was issued a few years back.

Savoy's catalogue is primarily controlled by Nippon Columbia (Denon), a Tokyo, Japan-based public company which purchased Savoy in 1991. Nippon Columbia's wholly owned subsidiary, Savoy Jazz, handles Savoy Records distribution in the United States.

FWIW, the Newport in New York set currently available is DEFINITELY a boot, and sounds like one. This would not be the first time that one of these nefarious Andorran labels has managed to circumvent the whole P.D. thang.

The issue of who owns what for all of these small, independent label recordings is not likely to ever be sorted out easily, Fantasy's former control of the Prestige/Riverside/etc. catalogues notwithstanding. This seems to be why LARGE (read: wealthy) companies like Sony (Columbia) and Universal (Verve/Impulse/Norgran/etc.) have been the biggest players in the jazz reissue market for at least the last 25 years.