So, have I missed anything?

This is the first time I've logged-in since 2006

Wow - a BIG welcome back ! :tup:party:

Last time you were logged on, the economy was still on a roll, credit crunch not an issue, Greece was solvent and Blair/Bush still in office. Another world !

I'm not so sure Greece was solvent at the time, they were just hiding their problems and covering things up as we later found out...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back!

(You aren't the only one who got chewed up by life)

Thanks 7/4! Man, we had some good times here. :)

I'm sorry to hear you've had hard times too. I've been told that what doesn't kill me will make me stronger, but I've found that it has just made this ol' cat mangy. lol

I hear ya man.

Back then I had lot's of spare time and made 2-3 times what I make now, now I work 10 times as hard.

On the plus side, I can post from anywhere I can use my phone now.

Life in paradise is grand.

Jeff - a nice surprice to see you here again! I've not been posting much here since around 2008; family and everyday life take up most of the time. But I still check in sometimes. I hope you'll stick around!

Thanks Daniel! I was so happy to see your Duke Pearson avatar. It's funny how, even after all this time, when I see everyone here, it feels like little time has gone by. I'm planning on sticking around. I hope you'll have a chance to be around more too.

Nice to see you, AB. Stick around this time!

Nice to see you too, Dan! Whenever I listen to the Three Sounds you always come to mind. :)

I will stick around. I've missed you guys and this place a lot.

Welcome back Jeff! We missed you!

Thanks Lon! Reading your posts (and others from here) over on the Hoffman reminded me how much I missed you guys.

Welcome back, Jeff!

Thanks Hans! I really appreciate your kind welcome. I look forward to all I'm going to learn from you guys. I still think this is the best board out there.

1) Larry Kart was impregnated in a horrible science experiment got wrong - and had to get permission from Rick Santorum in order to put the baby up for adoption.

2) Jeff Crompton was blinded in a terrible science experiment accidental explosion. He lost three fingers from his left hand, one eye, and 6 toes from his left foot. Fortunately, all is ok because he is right-footed and can still play a bass drum.

3) this site was dissolved; Jim Alfredson, in a fit of late-night madness, told us all to go F ourselves and closed it down. Three days later he sold it to Google for $6 billion,

LOL

I'm really glad none of these things happened!!!! Thanks for the laugh. :)

Oh man , Jeff, its great to "see" you! Have really missed your wit, wisdom, and musical insights around here. As 7/4 said, you are most definitely not the only one life has chewed up--so hang and let's commiserate.

Stick around, brother!

Thanks Peter! I appreciate it so much! I was afraid that I wouldn't have a place here. I'm sorry that you've struggled too, but I'm incredibly grateful for good friends who can have compassion and empathy for each other during these difficult times.

Whatever it was, glad to hear you've survived it, and exceptionally glad to see your return!

Thank you so much! I'm so glad to be back here. I can't even express how much I appreciate you guys and the friendships we developed during my time here. I've always loved what you had to say and look forward our future conversations. I was listening to Marchel Ivery the other day and I thought of you as I think you were the one who turned me on to him. I have so many albums that have associations with you guys and it makes the listening experience richer for me because I remember the good friends here that turned me onto the music. I'm always remembering who turned me onto something. I still associate the Baby Dodds "Talking and Drum Solos" with you, Jim. :)

I plan on responding to everyone, and I see the software got really smart (in order to keep post count down lol) and all my responses are being added to one post. I'm typing as fast as I can, so check back later if I haven't responded. You guys are the best!

I'll join the chorus and sing out: "Welcome Back".

Thanks BeBop!!! I appreciate it so much! :)

:party:WELCOME BACK JEFF! :party:

Glad you're here!

Thanks Free For All!! (and thanks for the link!)

You guys are truly the best and I wish you could see the smile on my face after reading all of your kind welcomes!

I can't wait to start talking jazz again. I'm sure I'm pretty rusty, but this will be fun!

Happy to see the return of Cat Shatner!

Thanks WD45! I was so happy to see Groundkeeper Willie too!! It's great that you're still here. :)

:party: :party: :party:

Thanks Noj!! I feel like I'm the one who should be partying. Last night I did a Google search on a jazz musician and I found an old thread on another board. One of the first posts I read was by you and I was inspired to visit this board again. I was nervous that I wouldn't be welcomed, so I'm incredibly happy. Thanks again!!

What they said. Hopefully, the fact that you're back on board is indicative of an improving personal situation.

Thanks Dave!! Things are starting to get better. In a lot of ways, I feel like a shadow of what I used to be, but I'm coming back. I've lost a lot, but I'm still here and I have gratitude for that. :)

AB, I haven't been around much myself the past few months, but what a happy topic headline this was to see today. You're the cat's pajamas, man! ;) Welcome back.

Thanks Ghost!! I appreciate it so much. You're the best too!! Are you still doing your radio show? I saw that your signature has a link to your show archives. I used to enjoy your show a lot and you turned me onto some good stuff. :)

Welcome back, AB!

Thanks GA!! I appreciate your welcome so much! :)

Welcome back Brass.

My own tale of sadness.

Will be laid off effective next Thursday- 8 mos before I can

draw on my retirement IRA.

Plus uninsurable except at great expense due to a 7 bypass

surgery 7 years ago today...

Thank goodness for jazz.

Saw Charles McPherson last night at our jazz fest.

Life goes on...

Thanks jazzkrow!! I'm so sorry about what has happened to you. I lost my job, my house, a lot of my stuff, and my health for a while, but I'm grateful for the little things in life now. You have the most amazing attitude and my deepest respect for having it. Man, Charles McPherson is great too! I was listening to one his sixties albums just last week. :)

Welcome back!

Thanks Shawn!! Your welcome means a lot to me and I look forward to being back here with you guys. :)

1) Nixon was re-elected

2) Chewy did 400 hours of Community Service

3) Ron Shur endorsed Rick Santorum (at least I think it was the same Ron Shur....)

4) JSngry donated 20,000 of his posts to charity.

ROTFLMAO

You're not just a great musician, you're funny as hell too!! :)

Wow!, I feel 6 years younger! Welcome back!

Thanks Quincy!! I hope being back here will help me feel younger again. I feel like I've aged 20 years in the last 8. I'm ready for some reverse aging to begin. :)

My post above got so long that it broke formatting. I hope you can still read my replies. :)

As one of the original members, welcome back.

You'll probably figure this out but Aric begat Chewy who begat.... Let's stop there!

Thanks Brad!! I appreciate it. :)

I forgot all about Aric! lol

I think I missed out on Chewy. If he was anything like Effron, then I got to spend some time in the archives. lol

This is the first time I've logged-in since 2006

Wow - a BIG welcome back ! :tup:party:

Last time you were logged on, the economy was still on a roll, credit crunch not an issue, Greece was solvent and Blair/Bush still in office. Another world !

Thanks sidewinder!! :)

Wow, the world has changed so much since 2006. It's amazing to think about how different everything is. I've learned to live on so little. It's been such a difficult change. I'm not a big fan of the 21st century so far, but I think it will get better one of these days. lol

Apart from the state of the world, the state of jazz is so different. I can't believe that the OJC's are gone and there's no more Blue Note reissues. I remember I used to give Blue Note so much crap about Norah Jones, but things have changed so much. I'm so grateful that I was devoted to jazz during a time when it seemed like everything was available. I think I actually mourn the fact that things have changed so much with music. I used to live for the next batch reissues. I guess it's okay because I couldn't afford them anyway now. :P

2) Jeff Crompton was blinded in a terrible science experiment accidental explosion. He lost three fingers from his left hand, one eye, and 6 toes from his left foot. Fortunately, all is ok because he is right-footed and can still play a bass drum.

This probably just puzzled AfricaBrass; I wasn't around in 2006, when he last posted. I've heard a lot about you, though, AB, and am glad you're back.

And even after the accident, I still have three toes on my left foot. It's cool.

It's so nice to meet you, Jeff! I'm a Jeff too. :)

Thank you for your kind welcome! I'm glad you recovered from your science experiment gone wrong. lol

Welcome back!

(You aren't the only one who got chewed up by life)

Thanks 7/4! Man, we had some good times here. :)

I'm sorry to hear you've had hard times too. I've been told that what doesn't kill me will make me stronger, but I've found that it has just made this ol' cat mangy. lol

I hear ya man.

Back then I had lot's of spare time and made 2-3 times what I make now, now I work 10 times as hard.

On the plus side, I can post from anywhere I can use my phone now.

Life in paradise is grand.

Wow, that's tough 7/4. I'm so sad to hear that this happened to you!

I'm in a similar situation. My earning ability plummeted too. I've also been out of work for a long time and it's really taken a toll on my self esteem, not to mention everything related to savings and losing so many of the things I used to have.

I hope you're still playing your guitar and making music. I've been in such a funk for a long time that I have barely played in the last couple of years. I need to get back to it. It's weird, I used to have so many guitars and I don't anymore. I think going through that took away a lot of my joy in playing. BUT... I miss it so much. I need to get back to it.

Welcome back. I missed five or six years myself and just started posting again last year.

I'm so glad you're back too!! Thank you for your kind welcome. I really appreciate it!

AB! Welcome back!!!

Thanks impossible!! I'm so glad to be back and I'm so happy that so many of my friends are still here. :)

Oh, how much I missed that cat .... ^_^

We all fight being chewed up, so stick around!

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your understanding! I will stick around. :)

Yeah, welcome back, AB!

Thanks king!! I appreciate it so much and I'm so glad to be back. :)

what a treat!!!!!!!!1 welcome back AB!!!

oh - don't ask about the "babe" thread. <_<

Thanks so much, it's a treat to see you too!!! I was so happy to see your old Bettie Page avatar. I remember making that! :)

lol - I won't ask about the "babe" thread. I assume things didn't go too well. lol

I think I responded to everyone. Thanks again for your kind welcome (and thanks to Allen for all the laughs)!!!

I hope I didn't miss anyone and if I did, huge apologies! Thanks again, you've all made my day. :)

Edited by AfricaBrass

Very good to see you back here, AB!

Currently keeping a rather low profile here after suffering a very nasty form of pneumonia.

Will be back in shape in a few days and ready to exchange views and informations!

The babes thread is no more but the sexiest album covers thread is still going on!

didn't know you back in the day, but i hope you have good times on the board again from here on...

Same here. Although I have run across your posts from time to time on older threads. I don't feel quite right welcoming you back since you were here and gone long before I arrived, but ... welcome back!

:tophat:

Edited by papsrus