Charlie Parker Records 30CD set

romualdo

Amazon.uk is selling this for $55.00 U.S. In the states, they're asking $124.00 What's up with that?

That's only if you choose the third-party seller fulfilled through Amazon UK option. Unfortunately, they refuse to ship this to the US. Significantly higher price if you choose the direct from Amazon UK option. This set is currently cheapest through Amazon Germany since it is a German product. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

www.amazon.de

Went for the Deutsch option couple of days ago - The Music Shop via Amazon Germany - total cost was just over 47 euros (33.34 plus 14 shipping to Australia)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazon.uk is selling this for $55.00 U.S. In the states, they're asking $124.00 What's up with that?

That's only if you choose the third-party seller fulfilled through Amazon UK option. Unfortunately, they refuse to ship this to the US. Significantly higher price if you choose the direct from Amazon UK option. This set is currently cheapest through Amazon Germany since it is a German product. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

www.amazon.de

Went for the Deutsch option couple of days ago - The Music Shop via Amazon Germany - total cost was just over 47 euros (33.34 plus 14 shipping to Australia)

I just got a shipping notice today.

Also, in the U.S., Amazon is showing the pre-release price (release date is tomorrow) with fulfillment by Amazon. If history is any indication, once it's released, a number of third-party Amazon Marketplace vendors will offer it at a greatly reduced price. We'll know in a few days.

Just as I predicted. On the release date (today), Amazon's price is $123.85 but they're out of stock. However, Marketplace reseller "Germany" (which I believe is actually Membran) has it for $39.30. I bit, even though, if history's any indication, the price just might drop further than that going forward.

Amazon resellers

Also, in the U.S., Amazon is showing the pre-release price (release date is tomorrow) with fulfillment by Amazon. If history is any indication, once it's released, a number of third-party Amazon Marketplace vendors will offer it at a greatly reduced price. We'll know in a few days.

Just as I predicted. On the release date (today), Amazon's price is $123.85 but they're out of stock. However, Marketplace reseller "Germany" (which I believe is actually Membran) has it for $39.30. I bit, even though, if history's any indication, the price just might drop further than that going forward.

Amazon resellers

Same here. Thanks for pointing this out. It might go a bit lower, but it's hard to imagine a 30 CD set going for much below $30. Shipping is a bit higher for me, but still a good deal considering the alternatives.

Amazon resellers

Same here. Thanks for pointing this out. It might go a bit lower, but it's hard to imagine a 30 CD set going for much below $30. Shipping is a bit higher for me, but still a good deal considering the alternatives.

Ordered mine. Not willing to take the risk of missing this price to see if it goes lower.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon resellers

I received my copy today. At first glance, I'm very impressed by the packaging and presentation. Box arrived in perfect condition.

I've now been through 15 discs of this set, and feeling a little dazed! There's more than a fair amount of cheese contained herein. I, for one, might end up using disc 14 as a coaster. It contains a sappy recording by a vocal group called the Orioles and a verrrry corny comedy album. Oy!

That being said, there are some very nice albums included in this set. Some nice vocal surprises. However, I don't know if I'd rate any of this (other than the archival Bird, Pres and Miles) above other so-called 2nd tier music.

So, buy with caution.

Edited by JETman

I've now been through 15 discs of this set, and feeling a little dazed! There's more than a fair amount of cheese contained herein. I, for one, might end up using disc 14 as a coaster. It contains a sappy recording by a vocal group called the Orioles and a verrrry corny comedy album. Oy!

That being said, there are some very nice albums included in this set. Some nice vocal surprises. However, I don't know if I'd rate any of this (other than the archival Bird, Pres and Miles) above other so-called 2nd tier music.

So, buy with caution.

Well, I liked the Barney Kessel material (El Tigre) and some other material. I suppose it is true there is a fair bit of material that would never have been reissued except in the context of a complete set.

Well, I liked the Barney Kessel material (El Tigre) and some other material. I suppose it is true there is a fair bit of material that would never have been reissued except in the context of a complete set.

One man's meat is another man's poison.

You may rightly assume that many of the fanatic lovers of doo-wop music (a musical genre where "a vocal group called the Orioles" were one of the trailblazers and seminal early groups - even though the album reissued here admittedly was not their most essential output) will find most of your own preferred musical fare of post-late 50s modern jazz just a load of dissonant, disjointed, disorganized noise. And from their very own vantage point they cannot be proven all wrong. Tastes do differ ....

That's life ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

One man's meat is another man's poison.

You may rightly assume that many of the fanatic lovers of doo-wop music (a musical genre where "a vocal group called the Orioles" were one of the trailblazers and seminal early groups - even though the album reissued here admittedly was not their most essential output) will find most of your own preferred musical fare of post-late 50s modern jazz just a load of dissonant, disjointed, disorganized noise. And from their very own vantage point they cannot be proven all wrong. Tastes do differ ....

That's life ... ;)

I certainly understand what you're saying, but how were you able to get all of that about my preferred musical tastes out of that one post? I believe you may be making some assumptions yourself!

Glad to hear that my poison is your meat! I was just observing that a steady diet of any ONE type of music with the "sameness" contained herein can leave one dazed. I do not think it's unfair of me, btw, to point out that I was not happy, for instance, to receive a comedy album in what I thought to be a boxed set containng only music. Fwiw, doo-wop music may not exist in my world simply because of my age.

Also, fwiw, I happen to own the HRS box, and it is one of my favorite Mosaics.

Well, research told me the Orioles and the comedy album would be in there so I was not surprised. I do like the Art Pepper and Cecil Payne and Duke Jordan and Mundell Lowe and Yusef Lateef and Pres and Joe Caroll sessions et al, that coupled with the great live Bird material makes this quite a quality box set for the money.

Edited by jazzbo

JETman,I wasn't referring specifically to you and YOUR specific tastes but ... let's say ... I guess it is fair to assume that your reaction is not an isolated case. Quite understandable, particularly in the case of those jazz collectors who mainly focus on hard bop and whatever came AFTERWARDS. And this is not a rare breed of jazz fans, I guess. ;)

Even some swing fans (who appreciate the HRS box set - so do I, BTW ;)) won't automatically be attracted to doo wop or jazzed-up movie scores.

Nothing wrong with that, basically, but of course something to be reckoned with if a box set focusing on the complete output of one specific (and eclectic) label is assembled.

OTOH, as for making assumptions, all I was getting at was that if we took whatever you (or anybody else) happened to really love in late 50s or more recent "contemporary" jazz and played it to a diehard doo-wop fan then his reaction would be ... see above ...

Hey, in fact I know some who might swoon along with the Orioles but will just as likely cringe at the early to mid-40s INSTRUMENTAL transitional swing/early bebop music I love. "Too many notes", "too frenzied", you get it, I guess ... ;)

See what I mean? ;)

Tastes do differ.

As for that comedy album, take it in stride ;) and dismiss it as an oddball item. Better than buying a monster box set of the complete works of the CHESS label, only to find out you are saddled with hours of Moms Mabley and Pigmeat Markham when you were expecting MUSIC!

Pigmeat Markhams's comedy swung more than does most of the jazz of today which claims to swing. It's certainly every bit as musical!

As for this box...I've got no more interest in paying money for material that needs to be pitch-corrected. Digital tools make it pretty damn easy and cheap to do, so there's really no longer any "legitimate" excuse for it to not get done,

Edited by JSngry

As for this box...I've got no more interest in paying money for material that needs to be pitch-corrected. Digital tools make it pretty damn easy and cheap to do, so there's really no longer any "legitimate" excuse for it to not get done,

Jim,

just curious. I would venture to say that most of us on this board are not blessed with the ear of a trained professional musician. That being said, what are the chances that any of us would notice the pitch problem on this set? Also, do you know if the whole thing is off or just some of the sessions?

You might not actually "hear" it literally, but you should probably sense it. The timbres of the instruments just seem a little "speedy", as do voices (if any).

All I know for sure to be off is the Rockland Place. Not sure about the rest of the live Bird, it might be ok, pretty sure the stuff with Wardell is. All the Pres stuff is ok, iirc. But - there's Dial stuff on here that has definitely been issued in improved sound if they're just using the original CP Records masters.

So yeah, it's a "good price", but good value? Not for me, and again, mileages will vary on that.

Edited by JSngry