Charlie Parker Records 30CD set

romualdo

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, flimsy mini-LP sleeves.

And as I said, info is lacking... sometimes completely, sometimes it's incomplete/wrong/misleading.

Overall, very good value for the price, but don't expect a real quality product.

General question to the older guys here: the Bird material: is it mostly (or even entirely) material that's been spread over and over again? Or is there anything that's rare?

(I obviously got the box for the Lateef, Jordan, Payne etc. albums, not for Bird (or Pres), where I kind of assumed not to get anything new anyway.)

Pretty interesting set. I've listened to five discs. The material I have sounds better here, surprisingly. Packaging is nothing to write home about, but not a big concern for me at least.

Where did you get the set, Lon?

Wasn't most of the previously available stuff put out by Collectables? As we all know, the sound on their product has been nothing to write home about.

I pre-ordered it from amazon.fr.

Not all of this stuff came out on Collectables. Some was Fresh Sounds that I had. They haven't just taken those masterings and put them on cd. What exactly they did do and who did it I don't know, there's no credits at all.

Edited by jazzbo

I pre-ordered it from amazon.fr.

Not all of this stuff came out on Collectables. Some was Fresh Sounds that I had. They haven't just taken those masterings and put them on cd. What exactly they did do and who did it I don't know, there's no credits at all.

I think it's the Membran gnome:

il_fullxfull.290306658.jpg

why is the art pepper/marty paich on tampa included- was that released by charlie parker records at some point. just where do they get their source material from anyway for something like this. i know its a simple transfer, but im all for all this stuff being convienently available like this. like the other week i saw some small 4 cd box set: red garland on prestige. it was like 12 albums of material. they would make great gifts

why is the art pepper/marty paich on tampa included- was that released by charlie parker records at some point. just where do they get their source material from anyway for something like this. i know its a simple transfer, but im all for all this stuff being convienently available like this.

It looks like this box set reissues everything that was on Charlie Parker Records at one time, regardless or whether it was an original release or a REISSUE (as with some other Tampa releases that are included in this box set). The Paich/Pepper album that originally was on Tampa TP28 was also released on CP PLP 829 (see photos above), according to the Bryuninckx discography.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I'm a very happy camper! have listened to about ten of the twofer discs and sound ist mostly good to my ears - better that I'd expected for sure!

I tried to put together updated/corrected information for discs 1-16 (didn't yet dare to tackle the Parker material) here:

The biggest goof of course is failing to acknowledge Sadik Hakim on half of the "East and West of Jazz", but there are various other small mistakes and missing information.

I find it interesting that they're including pictures of the original LP covers, something that the Andorrans shy away from (probably because of copyright issues). Is it possible that this box is licensed by the Aubrey Mayhew estate?

Don't know how accurate this is, but the rights to these recordings were acquired by Koch Records in 2005, according to this:

http://rateyourmusic.com/label/charlie_parker_records

I think that in the rare cases where Membran actually did license music that wasn't yet 50 years old, they clearly stated so on the covers (that was the case with several Candid albums they released with crappy cover art... those blue ones with a cardboard thingie wrapped around regular jewel cases - they had albums by Pee Wee Russell/Coleman Hawkins, Don Ellis and several others, I think).

As there's no such info to be found in the box, I'm not sure... but then the most recent recordings are from around 1965, so it is a bit weird, after all.

I find it interesting that they're including pictures of the original LP covers, something that the Andorrans shy away from (probably because of copyright issues). Is it possible that this box is licensed by the Aubrey Mayhew estate?

I've seen plenty Andorran releases with thumbnails of the original art; I think the problem is using the covers in whole. Hence why these discs aren't LP repros (which would have been quite nice, except in the case of that Arr Pepper session)

Colin, I think you're correct there... it also seems that as long as there's something written about any given album, it's no problem to use the cover in reasonably small size. However, this new box uses a few in pretty large size in the booklet, which again is unusual.

Amazon.uk is selling this for $55.00 U.S. In the states, they're asking $124.00 What's up with that?

That's only if you choose the third-party seller fulfilled through Amazon UK option. Unfortunately, they refuse to ship this to the US. Significantly higher price if you choose the direct from Amazon UK option. This set is currently cheapest through Amazon Germany since it is a German product. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

www.amazon.de

Also, in the U.S., Amazon is showing the pre-release price (release date is tomorrow) with fulfillment by Amazon. If history is any indication, once it's released, a number of third-party Amazon Marketplace vendors will offer it at a greatly reduced price. We'll know in a few days.