Music Matters Blue Note 45rpms

sidewinder

At this point in time, I wonder who the audience for this stuff is. Almost all of It (and probably all of it) has been released so many times, including on audiophile LPs, that everyone who has an interest must have heard it by now. I guess there are audiophiles (as opposed to music lovers) who are still looking for new recordings to check out their gear with.

I'm a music lover and I've got a number of these audiophile 45rpm sets. The smallish number I have are largely sessions I'm particularly fond of and would like to get on vinyl in the best possible fidelity. These MM sets tick all these boxes although I've now slowed up purchasing them with none in the last year or so. Their downside is expense and bulk- they take up a lot of cash and shelf space. I don't think I'll be going for any of the 33rpm issues they're planning.

At this point in time, I wonder who the audience for this stuff is. Almost all of It (and probably all of it) has been released so many times, including on audiophile LPs, that everyone who has an interest must have heard it by now. I guess there are audiophiles (as opposed to music lovers) who are still looking for new recordings to check out their gear with.

I'm a music lover and I've got a number of these audiophile 45rpm sets. The smallish number I have are largely sessions I'm particularly fond of and would like to get on vinyl in the best possible fidelity. These MM sets tick all these boxes although I've now slowed up purchasing them with none in the last year or so. Their downside is expense and bulk- they take up a lot of cash and shelf space. I don't think I'll be going for any of the 33rpm issues they're planning.

I'm sure there are music lovers who have purchased Music Matters LPs. I've purchased a decent number of audiophile sets myself (though not Music Matters). I just think that these LPs are played up in the audiophile press whose audience tends to be equipment buffs rather than music lovers. In the end, I wonder how many people who purchase Music Matters 45s go on to buy and listen to music that's not presented in an audiophile manner.

I'm sure there are music lovers who have purchased Music Matters LPs. I've purchased a decent number of audiophile sets myself (though not Music Matters). I just think that these LPs are played up in the audiophile press whose audience tends to be equipment buffs rather than music lovers. In the end, I wonder how many people who purchase Music Matters 45s go on to buy and listen to music that's not presented in an audiophile manner.

Yeah I don't read too many posts there (I lurk at Hoffman) where there's a real discussion on how good the music is, but mostly the merit of like Steve capturing the essence of Elvin's ride the way RVG never could, etc.... I just think hey in the course of RVG recordings, there is tape distortion, and other stuff. so it's probably really heavily noticed on those remasters with good equipment. Those sorts of things will always exist in the original recording, I noticed in the SHM CD of "Speak No Evil" tape delamination artifacts moreso than previous issues b/c it's so clear, but it seems like RVG used tape in the mid 60's where you really hear that. Did he use cheaper tape starting in the mid 60's. Anyway that SHM is great, I love it.

Edited by CJ Shearn

It is true that they take up a lot of shelf space - effectively they are like laminated 2LP sets so you need to put some space aside. What I've found though is that unless you have mint-ish, crackle-free originals (fat chance for quite a few of the titles) the MMs provide the best vinyl versions that are out there. Whether or not they are better than the originals is I guess subjective to the listener - I find they are more balanced and have with a wider soundstage, sort of more 'refined'. Less of the mid-range bloom than you get with RVGs original pressings of the 50s and 60s. Perhaps that could be at the expense of 'edge'/excitement.

I also find that running them through a record cleaning machine from the outset helps too, to ensure optimal clarity of sound.

Edited by sidewinder

Dolphy's Out To Lunch was one of their best selling albums. I think that album would cause the blood to rush out of an audiophiles head :)

• 2 weeks later...

At this point in time, I wonder who the audience for this stuff is...

I'm not sure how representative I am but I could be interested in several titles in this new MM 33rpm series depending on how they sound and how much they cost.

Sure, I have most of these on CD, often multiple versions. These days though, I just about never buy CDs. Instead I'm gradually building a BN vinyl collection on a pretty tight budget.

I wasn't buying vinyl during the period when the Classic Records 200gm reissues were widely available and those often go for a premium today. I have very little interest in the 45rpm series. Decent sounding original pressings are of course cost prohibitive although I do opportunistically pick up reissues. And it is rare to see King Records reissues going for less than $50 or so, usually more, with expensive shipping from Japan.

If they sound good and sell for less than the Classic reissues, I bet the MM 33rpm series will sell pretty well.

Edited by riverrat

• 7 months later...

I've compared the mono MM 33 rpm issue of 'Blue Train' to AP's stereo 45rpm edition. The MM. has received considerable praise in some on line reviews. After careful listening I'd reject such claims ad being wildly over the top. The MM sounds fine but is hardly a revelation either in mono vs stereo or overall sound. It does sound brilliant but the AP edition does too.

• 6 years later...

I am in the process of direct comparison between the MM 45RPM Leapin' and Lopin' and the 1987 CD on Manhattan Records' Blue Note, which was mastered by Ron McMaster. I haven't finished playing the whole album, but the most transparent differences so far to my ears - juicy bass, much more authentic-sounding tenor of Charlie Rouse: this is the MM. The McMaster cd has boosted high frequencies, albeit not ear-bleedingly shrill. Rouse's tenor sounds almost like Jackie McLean's alto, because the highs have been cranked up. I will play with the equalizer on my preamp to see if it can be remedied. It also has more air around the instruments, which initially is rather appealing, but could be the engineer-manufactured reverb. 

9 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I am in the process of direct comparison between the MM 45RPM Leapin' and Lopin' and the 1987 CD on Manhattan Records' Blue Note, which was mastered by Ron McMaster. I haven't finished playing the whole album, but the most transparent differences so far to my ears - juicy bass, much more authentic-sounding tenor of Charlie Rouse: this is the MM. The McMaster cd has boosted high frequencies, albeit not ear-bleedingly shrill. Rouse's tenor sounds almost like Jackie McLean's alto, because the highs have been cranked up. I will play with the equalizer on my preamp to see if it can be remedied. It also has more air around the instruments, which initially is rather appealing, but could be the engineer-manufactured reverb. 

I’d love to hear from someone — maybe Kevin? — about how the TOCJs compare to the MMS. 

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

True although I have a good CD player and TT. 

Personally then (and I speak for my own main system with a good CD player and even better vinyl source) the MM would win hands down. Both of them very acceptable though.

Edited by sidewinder

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Personally then (and I speak for my own main system with a good CD player and even better vinyl source) the MM would win hands down. Both of them very acceptable though.

Not compared directly, but after listened to my first Tone Poet, I think that MM are very very slightly better, sonically speaking, but not so better to justify their price, the art and the quality of covers are almost the same, again MM has thicker cardboard but who cares.

Edit I mean 45rpm MM, never heard 33rpm.

Edited by porcy62

I am buying many of these Tone Poet LPs specifically because I feel like playing records again. In direct comparison, I have found that the CDs sound fine and if that was all I had, it would be enough. The normal hassles of vinyl are still there, so I don't recommend these records to anyone who is anal about that stuff. If you buy a record and feel the need to return it for any slight pressing defect, you should probably stick with the CD.

As I've mentioned before, my hearing is not what is was, so I don't want to talk in absolutes but if I had to choose only one version, it would be the CD, but that is because of convenience, rather than 100% about sound. I only have 1 turntable and it is not in my car or on my back deck. :)

Edited by bresna

13 minutes ago, bresna said:

I am buying many of these Tone Poet LPs specifically because I feel like playing records again. In direct comparison, I have found that the CDs sound fine and if that was all I had, it would be enough. The normal hassles of vinyl are still there, so I don't recommend these records to anyone who is anal about that stuff. If you buy a record and feel the need to return it for any slight pressing defect, you should probably stick with the CD.

As I've mentioned before, my hearing is not what is was, so I don't want to talk in absolutes but if I had to choose only one version, it would be the CD, but that is because of convenience, rather than 100% about sound. I only have 1 turntable and it is not in my car or on my back deck. :)

My hearing isn’t the greatest either and I now have hearing aids and I wasn’t conscientious about wearing them. Then one day I was listening to a record and I muttered aloud “the sound is for shit” but then I wondered if it was me. I put in the hearing aids and — bang! — it sounded great. Now I use them all the time although I still hate ‘em. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 10:45 AM, porcy62 said:

Not compared directly, but after listened to my first Tone Poet, I think that MM are very very slightly better, sonically speaking, but not so better to justify their price, the art and the quality of covers are almost the same, again MM has thicker cardboard but who cares.

Edit I mean 45rpm MM, never heard 33rpm.

I have a bunch of MM 33's I think they sound very similar to the Tone Poets, but were about $15 more expensive when they originally came out. I only have one MM 45, They do sound great, but I hate getting up to change the side more often than a 33. (lazy) :-)  I don't have an expensive system, so that may be why.

10 hours ago, ctjazzguy said:

I have a bunch of MM 33's I think they sound very similar to the Tone Poets, but were about $15 more expensive when they originally came out. I only have one MM 45, They do sound great, but I hate getting up to change the side more often than a 33. (lazy) :-)  I don't have an expensive system, so that may be why.

The MMs have some titles that I don’t know we will see in TPs, at least for awhile.