2 New Bands in the Bay, Sat, 2/25

ep1str0phy

Swarm Intelligence

Hey, good Organissimo-type people-

I have no idea why I didn't post about this sooner, but this show may be of interest to Bay Area people--I'm debuting a new band featuring my duo Grex (there was some discussion here about our most recent album not too long ago), two members of the band Wiener Kids (Jordan Glenn and Cory Wright, on drums and Bb reeds, respectively) and two members of the Lost Trio (Phillip Greenlief on alto sax and Dan Seamans--also of the New Klezmer Trio--on upright bass). It's called Swarm Intelligence, and it's sort of a synthesis of ideas gleamed from ambient/out electric jazz (early 70's Wayne, Mwandishi, Bennie Maupin, 70's Miles), Paul Motian Quintet-type music (the rhythm section hookup on this is very reminiscent of that group), and misc. chamber/electropop. Thanks in no small part to the talents involved, the music hangs together well--I'm proud to be presenting it.

Also on the bill is Sacramento's Ross Hammond, joined by LA sax dynamo Vinny Golia and, in a rare Bay Area appearance, Julius Hemphill's old rhythm section (Steuart Liebig and Alex Cline). I have no idea what this band sounds like--they're debuting, too--but knowing the participants, I expect round, melodic free jazz with bursts of hairy chaos.

For those out-of-towners who may be curious, this is also getting broadcast on Berkeley's KALX (90.7 FM in the East Bay)--it's streamable online!

Details:

9pm

Saturday, February 25

@ The Swarm Gallery

560 2nd Street, Oakland, CA

$5 cover

Aaaand websites: www.grexsounds.com, www.rosshammond.com

Edited by ep1str0phy