opinons sought

Stefan Wood

I see sound samples for the Furtwaengler on the audite.de site:

http://www.audite.de/en/product/13CD/21403-edition_wilhelm_furtwaengler_the_complete_rias_recordings/tracks.html

For the Beethoven/Konwitschny, I had some success looking through individual CDs at Amazon - a number of .mp3 samples were available:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=beethoven+konwitschny

Edited by T.D.

Probably a great buy! I have Furt's Beethoven 1-9 on EMI, the sound leaves quite a bit to be desired in places. Can't go for the new release due to duplication.

One warning about the Berlin Classics Beethoven box:

I bought a 6-CD box of Mozart string quartets (Suske-Quartett) on Berlin Classics. Excellent playing but no documentation whatsoever - no booklet or track listing, just a box and 6 CDs in paper sleeves (track listings on paper sleeves). If you prefer documentation on the Beethoven set, be careful.

Edited by T.D.

I bought the Furtwangler for the performances and the much improved sound quality. For the most part I have ignored the historical performances because most of them were from dubious or second hand sources. I'm on the fence on the Beethoven box -- I think I'll wait for a better price, or maybe it will show up on broinc.com or daedalus.

I've listened to the first four discs of the Furtwangler Audite box. The music is great, the sound quality is outstanding for the time period.

I've been looking for an excuse to purchase a Furtwangler collection since at present I don't own any recordings by this legendary conductor. For the price and the amount of music you get, it sounds like you can't go wrong here?

Edited by Tom 1960