Ken Burns' "Jazz" seems pretty "Silly"

spangalang

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd to see this one pop up again, because I had decided to revisit the two "Swing" episodes just last week. It was many years since I watched the original, and since I can stream the thing, I watched those. I have to say, aside from Wynton's babbling (which I fast-forwarded through), the rest of it was better than I remembered. No Crouch in the segments I watched.

gregmo

I rewatched it the other month. The talking heads don't offer much, but the old footage and photographs are great. Ridiculous to make a jazz documentary that long that doesn't really mention Blue Note records, but oh well.

I wish Jackie McLean were in it more. I could watch him tell stories about Bud Powell and Charlie Parker for hours.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:15 PM, Don said:

The Matt Glaser stuff is hard to watch. The stories from Artie Shaw are great, as are the stories from the pair of dancers.

Burns could have easily chosen articulate veteran musicians to replace most of the writers and Wynton. But Burns knew little about jazz when he got underway.

What if you expect from a guy who owned a handful of jazz CDs when he began?