Joe Farrell

StarThrower

There must be some Joe Farrell fans here? Has anybody picked up the albums reissued on the Wounded Bird label? I only have Moon Germs, and Outback.

You've got 2 of his best right there.

Add the one preceding "Outback" called "Joe Farrell Quartet", and the first 2 Return to Forever records, and you'll be good to go.

Edited by JETman

There must be some Joe Farrell fans here? Has anybody picked up the albums reissued on the Wounded Bird label? I only have Moon Germs, and Outback.

Add the one preceding "Outback" called "Joe Farrell Quartet", and the first 2 Return to Forever records, and you'll be good to go.

The first one isn't available as far as I know. I have the RTF albums.

The first one isn't available as far as I know. I have the RTF albums.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Farrell-Quartet/dp/B000008AW4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1330578082&sr=1-1

LOL

I'm a fan and have all his albums - completist that I am!

The ones I return to most often are the four he recorded with Elvin Jones on Blue Note, all of which are included in the Mosaic boxset. If I had to pick a favourite from the four then it would be 'Puttin' It Together'.

My only Farrell is on the Pat Martino "Strings" album, which I was listening to the other day. "Minority" is a real flag-waver.

That one is a corker and Farrell fits very well into Martino's line-up.

My favourite Joe Farrell is probably on the Thad & Mel Mosaic set. I like his CTI albums, the work with Elvin and his single LP done for Contemporary too (must dig it out).

Add the one preceding "Outback" called "Joe Farrell Quartet"

The CD is hard to find and often very expensive. The original CTI LP is probably easier to find. It was also reissued in a cheaper-looking edition under the title "Song of the Wind" (one of the tunes on the album and one of Chick Corea's more haunting compositions, here done as a piano-oboe duet).

What's funny is that it's actually mostly a quintet album . You won't regretting getting it, but IMO Farrell never sounded better than on the two first RTF albums. (BTW, the Fender Rhodes as an instrument never sounded better than on 'Light as a Feather'!) But the albums with Elvin Jones are nice as well.

Yeah, Thad/Mel, Elvin and RTF for me, too... with Elvin, there's a nice live one on Enja, in addition to the Blue Notes (the trio plus Hannibal on trumpet on one track).

Farrell's fine on that one Hill Conn he's on (Dance with Death?)

That Xanadu looks mighty interesting, Jim! Farrell and Teddy! I got to look for that!

It's a real treat. As the lineup & label suggest, it's a full-on straight-ahead blowing session. Kinda came "out of nowhere" at the time (and stayed there...nobody was looking for Joe Farrell on a date like this at the time, so...nobody really heard it), and definitely a pleasure..

Yeah, Thad/Mel, Elvin and RTF for me, too... with Elvin, there's a nice live one on Enja, in addition to the Blue Notes (the trio plus Hannibal on trumpet on one track).

Farrell's fine on that one Hill Conn he's on (Dance with Death?)

He's also on Passing Ships. And Jaki Byard's Lennie's at the Turnpike albums.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned his work on Chick Corea's Tones for Joan's Bones, which is brilliant.

There's one he made with Art Pepper, too... haven't heard it for quite some time though.

Another vote for the Farrell / Pepper session. For one thing, you get two very distinct players working rather differently through their respective Coltrane influences. For another: features some brilliant assists from George Cables.

A sample from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAa6BUbq_0

I'm a fan and have all his albums - completist that I am!

The ones I return to most often are the four he recorded with Elvin Jones on Blue Note, all of which are included in the Mosaic boxset. If I had to pick a favourite from the four then it would be 'Puttin' It Together'.

Unfortunately, I found out about the Elvin Jones set too late. Amazon must be kidding asking 17 bucks for CD-Rs.

Although I enjoy his RTF recordings it's the Blue Notes for me. After these the CTIs never really made it for me. I did see Farrell with RTF and the with the Elvin Jones Trio, both memorable gigs.

Oh dear, forgot about Lennies.

Do any of the CTI's feature him mostly on tenor? - especially without much soprano? I love most of his tenor work (which reminds me a bit of Joe Henderson), which I know best from the Elvin BN's, and those two or three Hill dates he's on.

The only Farrell leader-date I have is Skate Board Park ( :tup ), and I've always meant to get more by him (or with him) -- but it seems like most of his leader-dates have a ton of soprano (and some flute) -- neither of which interest me as much.

(I've probably almost bought "Moon Germs" a dozen times for the sidemen, but I can't bring myself to buy such a soprano-heavy date.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Add the one preceding "Outback" called "Joe Farrell Quartet"

The CD is hard to find and often very expensive. The original CTI LP is probably easier to find. It was also reissued in a cheaper-looking edition under the title "Song of the Wind" (one of the tunes on the album and one of Chick Corea's more haunting compositions, here done as a piano-oboe duet).

What's funny is that it's actually mostly a quintet album . You won't regretting getting it, but IMO Farrell never sounded better than on the two first RTF albums. (BTW, the Fender Rhodes as an instrument never sounded better than on 'Light as a Feather'!) But the albums with Elvin Jones are nice as well.

Yeah not only does the Rhodes sound great, Corea's performance on LAAF is exemplery. Plus it's a textbook example of how to comp behind soloists. Period.

bigtiny