Joe Farrell

StarThrower

(BTW, the Fender Rhodes as an instrument never sounded better than on 'Light as a Feather'!) But the albums with Elvin Jones are nice as well.

Yeah not only does the Rhodes sound great, Corea's performance on LAAF is exemplery. Plus it's a textbook example of how to comp behind soloists. Period.

There's really a special atmosphere to that album. Regarding the Rhodes sound, Corea said this in the liner notes for the expanded 1998 CD: "It was just a pickup Rhodes and a pickup amplifier - rentals. The amplifier was miked, with no direct line." He also regretted losing the wah-wah pedalused at the sessions; "I was never able to find that particular pedal again."

with Elvin, there's a nice live one on Enja, in addition to the Blue Notes (the trio plus Hannibal on trumpet on one track).

George Coleman is the tenor player on that album, not Joe Farrell.

Yeah, I noticed today.... sorry about that!

It always comes to mind quickly as a very good supplement to the Mosaic/Blue Notes, and I also had it several years before buying the Mosaic, so it kind of grew on me for some time... but that still doesn't make it Farrell ;-)

(I've probably almost bought "Moon Germs" a dozen times for the sidemen, but I can't bring myself to buy such a soprano-heavy date.)

You're missing out. Moon Germs is a great album. Soprano sax played by any of the great jazz musicians never bothered me. It's the

later fusion and generic players that I can't tolerate. But Shorter, Lacy, Farrell, and even Zoot Sims is great to listen to on soprano.

Good work on one or more of Andrew Hill's Blue Notes as well. I heard RTF at Rutgers in the early 70s in a small auditorium, presumably before they were famous. Airto on kit as I recall, Joe cooking. A great gig.

I LOVE Airto's kit work. He's just got this really organic feel that knocks me out. What a great natural musician.....

bigtiny

(I've probably almost bought "Moon Germs" a dozen times for the sidemen, but I can't bring myself to buy such a soprano-heavy date.)

You're missing out. Moon Germs is a great album. Soprano sax played by any of the great jazz musicians never bothered me. It's the

later fusion and generic players that I can't tolerate. But Shorter, Lacy, Farrell, and even Zoot Sims is great to listen to on soprano.

I really like Wayne Shorter on Soprano up throught the time when he left Miles - but only when I'm in the mood.

I also like Nathan Davis' Soprano quite a bit (I've never heard anyone play as well in tune on soprano as Nathan Davis).

But as far as other soprano-heavy players, I've never been able to dig Lacy much, nor much Wayne post-Miles, nor much Liebman, nor much Grossman -- though I have grown to like their time with Elvin (on the BN Elvin box) -- nor Jane Bunnett. It's just not an instrument I'm super fond of, 'cept in a few contexts that I've grown to like over time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Not a huge soprano fan myself. Especially when it's an artist who's tenor work I really like.

Especially players who's tenor work I really like.

For the record, I try not to level that opinion as a criticism of the player in question - but it definitely is a preference of mine.

Not a huge soprano fan myself. Especially when it's an artist who's tenor work I really like.

Especially players who's tenor work I really like.

For the record, I try not to level that opinion as a criticism of the player in question - but it definitely is a preference of mine.

Exactly.

• 3 weeks later...