tranemonk

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

early Billie

Mose Allison

Jack T.

Special mention: Jimmie Lunceford's guys.

Most of my favorites already mentioned: Anita O'Day, Johnny Hartman, Mose Allison, Jimmy Rushing. I'll just add Annie Ross, John Hendricks and Dave Lambert. I also love Dizzy's vocals.

Female

Helen

Merrill? Humes? Forrest? Ward? O'Connell? Reddy?

I'm assuming it's one of the first two.

It's Merrill. The only Helen (jazz singer) I hold that high in esteem. Other important Helens in my life: my late wife, and Helen Folesade Adu.

Edited by jazzbo

Interesting that of the traditional "big three" (Billie, Ella, Sarah), only Billie is on many lists, and Anita O'Day seems to get lots of love.

The O'Day Jazz Icons DVD and the one from Japan in the '60s are both fantastic, and, of course, her performance in Jazz on a Summer's Day. The documentary about her is also brilliant.

http://www.amazon.com/Anita-ODay-Life-Jazz-Singer/dp/B001W3P50O

Can't do the "all-time favorites" thing, but - three who I've followed very closely with much love over the years and who haven't been given much love here so far are:

• Abbey Lincoln
  • Shirley Horn

• Jimmy Scott

The older I get, the more I feel lyrics, and the more I feel lyrics, the more I dig a good singer, no matter the "genre"...or gender, for that matter.

Gladys Knight. Marvin Gaye.Rosemary Clooney (when away from Mitch Miller), Dick Haymes(!), Frank Sinatra, Nat Cole, Dionne Warwick, O.V. Wright, Ray Price, George Jones, etc.

They can all make a song into a story, and to be truthful, most pop songs aren't that much unless that happens to them. But once it does, look out!

Kind of funny that while the thread is about female vocalists, many listed males!!!

The thread title is not gender-specific.

Title of the thread says one thing and tranemonk's first post says another. Take your pick, I guess - and most people did just that.

Oopsie, my apologies to Mr. Teagarden. I guess Anita can make my list now.

Dick Haymes(!),

Those 2 'fifties Capitol albums are fantastic.

Oopsie, my apologies to Mr. Teagarden. I guess Anita can make my list now.

I once heard a radio interview with Norma Teagarden (with either Loonis McGlohon or Alec Wilder) and until I heard who it was I could have sworn it was a guy talking.

Edited by Pete C

Dick Haymes(!),

I give credit to Moms Clementobley for the head-up on those. And yeah, they really are. Dark as hell, and not melodramatically so.

I'd have to think that being Dick Haymes in the wake of Frank Sinatra was not unlike being Frankie Valli in the wake of The Beatles. You still had currence, you still had your fans, but things were suddenly...different, and would be forevermore.

Tough gig.

I did originally mean to put female vocalists but I forgot. These responses are interesting in that... a) Billie is up there for a lot of people, b) Ella is not and c) very few contemporary singers...

I do like Karrin Allyson a lot (and Tierney Sutton). I'm also surprised that one of my other faves Abbey Lincoln hasn't come up yet..

BTW... For those of you who have some pull over at Mosaic... can you PLEASE get them to do my Betty Carter Select??? :)

Female

Helen

Merrill? Humes? Forrest? Ward? O'Connell? Reddy?

I'm assuming it's one of the first two.

It's Merrill. The only Helen (jazz singer) I hold that high in esteem. Other important Helens in my life: my late wife, and Helen Folesade Adu.

I guessed Merrill... but I am wondering who Jackson is?

Billie Holiday

Anita O'Day

Sarah Vaughan

Dick Haymes(!),

I give credit to Moms Clementobley for the head-up on those. And yeah, they really are. Dark as hell, and not melodramatically so.

I'd have to think that being Dick Haymes in the wake of Frank Sinatra was not unlike being Frankie Valli in the wake of The Beatles. You still had currence, you still had your fans, but things were suddenly...different, and would be forevermore.

Tough gig.

I just got those two Haymes Capitol albums last week! And yes, they're excellent. :tup