Sylvia Syms

Teddi King

Earl Coleman

Ann Burton

Kenny Hagood

Alice Darr

Peggy Connelly

Ann Hathaway

are a few singers from the past I like to add...

impossible for me to select only three (since I am mainly a lover and collector of jazz songbirds (well known and forgotten)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JSngry - I suggest you watch her "recently" posted video clip on youtube...(every Kenney fan's "wet dream" so to say, long fingers or not)

Filmed only a couple of monthes before she took her own life...AND!!!!!!! doin' some tunes she never ever recorded at all!

What's more she even gets Hugh Hefner into joining a song with her...

Rather creepy how he eats her with his eyes...

@Paul Secor - you can read more about her on Bill Reed's blog (drchilledair).

And lucky for us all of her albums are imprint (Japan of course), including three cd's with previously unissued material.

The US re-issue of the first of those discs 'Snuggled On Your Shoulders', also contains 4 extra bonus tracks taped at Birdland with the Gildo Mahones Trio...Way cool stuff, and extra interesting because she sounds different than on her studio albums...She takes wat more liberties etc...

@Pete C. Some of these singers are worthwhile to check out...Perhaps interesting for some people is that Marilyn Moore was once Mrs Al Cohn and father of guitarist Joe Cohn...Some say her career was cut short because of the very similar sound and approach to songs as Billie Holiday.

Leonard Feather thought high about her. She recorded a beautiful album for Bethlehem 'Moody' with excellent backings from Al Cohn, Joe Wilder, Don Abney, Barry Galbraith, (and I think Milt Hinton and Osie Johnson, not sure though)

She recorded the music of 'Oh, Captain' an elusive LP/collectors item featuring songs/tunes from Dick Hyman & Feather as playd by Coleman Hawkins and Tony Scott etc...vocals by Jackie Paris, Moore and on one song Osie Johnson...

Didn't know anything about Beverly Kenney, so I googled her and found that she committed suicide at the age of 28. Surprising and shocking that someone so young would die in that manner.

Not to get too dark about it, but, what with the world and life being what it is and all, that's a twistedly "logical" (forgive the word choice...) time to do it if you're so inclined, late 20s, early 30s...right when the idealism starts to hit a brick wall & the pragmatism hasn't yet taken root...all that's left is cynicism, unencumbered and unimpeded. BOOM goes the dynamite if you're so inclined...

Didn't know anything about Beverly Kenney, so I googled her and found that she committed suicide at the age of 28. Surprising and shocking that someone so young would die in that manner.

Not to get too dark about it, but, what with the world and life being what it is and all, that's a twistedly "logical" (forgive the word choice...) time to do it if you're so inclined, late 20s, early 30s...right when the idealism starts to hit a brick wall & the pragmatism hasn't yet taken root...all that's left is cynicism, unencumbered and unimpeded. BOOM goes the dynamite if you're so inclined...

I hear you and understand what you're saying. It still shocked me when I read it.

Yeah, I hear you, it's not something you really expect, ever...

Here's that YouTube clip:

Two observations - the way she sings "mumps" is one of those things that comes out of nowhere, hits you upside your head hard, and then is gone by the time you gather your senses enough to look for it: & I think she more than adequately bedazzled Heffner, beating him at his own game. She had him eating out of her hand!

Yeah, I hear you, it's not something you really expect, ever...

Here's that YouTube clip:

Two observations - the way she sings "mumps" is one of those things that comes out of nowhere, hits you upside your head hard, and then is gone by the time you gather your senses enough to look for it: & I think she more than adequately bedazzled Heffner, beating him at his own game. She had him eating out of her hand!

Yeah. There are times during that video clip when Hefner comes off like an awkward teenager in awe of an adult woman.

Female:

1. Ella

2. Bessie (blues counts, right?)

3. Heartbreak for number 3: Nina Simone? Billie Holiday? Lavern Baker, just for that wonderful Bessie Smith cover album she did? Baby Cox for just those four sides she made with Ellington? I have no idea.

Male:

1. Louis

2. Jimmy Rushing

3. Similar trouble as with the women. Bing? Teagarden? ...

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not a vocal guy. I'm hard-pressed to list three vocalists I can tolerate, much less enjoy*.

Same here! The only two pure singers I would buy albums by are Dinah Washington and Jimmy Rushing. Otherwise I would simply prefer the backup band to ditch the singer and take instrumental solos instead. It is a different case with instrumentalists who also sang, like Jack Teagarden. Some of them I can (somewhat) enjoy or at least tolerate. But even so, I still prefer them playing their horns to actually singing.

To even come up with a third name, I had to think a bit. I have actually liked early Kay Starr when she was Charlie Barnet, so I'll throw her in. Thus:

1) Dinah Washington

2) Jimmy Rushing

3) Kay Starr

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yes! Bobbe Norris :)

Jackie Paris

Joe Derise

Lucy Reed

Jackie & Roy

Pinky Winters

Kitty White

Beverly Kenney

Bev Kelly

Marilyn Moore

Ann Richards

Helen Humes

Helen Carr

Inez Jones

Frances Wayne

Mavis Rivers

Teri Thornton

Sylvia Syms

Teddi King

Earl Coleman

Ann Burton

Kenny Hagood

Alice Darr

Peggy Connelly

Ann Hathaway

are a few singers from the past I like to add...

impossible for me to select only three (since I am mainly a lover and collector of jazz songbirds (well known and forgotten)

A few swing era songbirds who haven't been mentioned yet--Maxine Sullivan, Mildred Bailey, and Midge Williams.