YOUR Top three all-time jazz vocalists

tranemonk

okay I'm sure this has been brought up before... but I feel like it anyway.... :)

So what are your three all-time fave female vocalists in order of preference? For Moi...

1) Billie H.

2) Anita O'Day (close second)

3) Tie - Karrin Allyson & Cassandra Wilson...

Sorry but no matter how hard I try I can't just dig Sarah Vaughn or Ella... (I like them both but not in the top three...)

Okay humor me.. :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sarah Vaughan

Ella Fitzgerald

Louis Armstrong

So that's if I were to only pick 3, and they are my favorites, and those who I like to listen to.

Historically, Billie Holiday needs to be on the list.

Anita O'Day needs to be on the list. And maybe Joe Williams.

Love Frank Sinatra too, but wouldn't consider him a true Jazz singer.

I'm treating this as favorites I'm most likely to listen to now rather than some kind of hall of fame. If that's not what you want I'll delete it.

Jack Teagarden

Billie Holiday

Mildred Bailey

I don't know if there's much difference in my mind for 3 through 7 or so, so on another day (or hour) Anita makes the list easily. As could Louis.

Here's where I really seem like a moldy fig. Most folks here know that I love New Orleans music and traditional jazz, but I love bebop and avant-garde music just as much. Yes, I like Helen Merrill, Sarah Vaughan, and Sheila Jordan, but I'd say that my top three are two who have been named and one unusual choice:

Louis

Billie

Jelly Roll Morton.

Anyone who has spent any time with the Library of Congress recordings knows what an amazing singer Jelly was.

If I could name one more, it would probably be Danny Barker.

And all of this is based on calling Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, and Sippie Wallace blues singers rather than jazz singers - a pointless distinction I'll observe for purposes of this thread.

I'm not a vocal guy. I'm hard-pressed to list three vocalists I can tolerate, much less enjoy*. That said, I do like Eddie Jefferson, King Pleasure and Jimmy Rushing. I'd call them all horn-like.

* No acounting for taste, eh?

Edited by BeBop

1. June Christy

2. Mel Torme

3. Billie

That #2 is a red herring. I love Torme, but generally dislike male jazz vocalists. Heretic as is may seem Rushing, Joe Williams, Jon Hendricks, Johnny Hartman, Leon Thomas, whoever...they drive me nuts. Though I do like Chet, and certainly Teagarden and Louis.

3 is tough, though. I love Rene Marie, Chris Connor, Helen Forrest, Peggy Lee, Anita O'Day, Betty Carter.