NBA 2012

This is an interesting NBA off-season. Even I'm paying attention.

I kind of like the Nash move to the Lakers. Now if they can land Howard, they might be in business. (Unless the commish nixes the deal). <_<

How about the Knicks matching Houston's offer for Lin? That seems a little more dicey than the Nash deal to me.

Purely a money move. It's what the Knicks are about.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lin has signed an offer sheet with the Rockets that contains a poison pill: the back end (the third year) is $15 million. Originally, Knicks were going to match but will not. Also, Lin had worked out a contract with Rockets that wasn't as rich but then when Knicks said they would match, he had the Rockets make the deal richer. Obviously, Lin didn't want to be here anymore. He got his 15 minutes of fame and parlayed into a barrel of cash, and then some.

Lin has signed an offer sheet with the Rockets that contains a poison pill: the back end (the third year) is $15 million. Originally, Knicks were going to match but will not. Also, Lin had worked out a contract with Rockets that wasn't as rich but then when Knicks said they would match, he had the Rockets make the deal richer. Obviously, Lin didn't want to be here anymore. He got his 15 minutes of fame and parlayed into a barrel of cash, and then some.

The contract would put the Knicks into luxury tax hell, so the true cost is much much higher when you consider that. The Knicks seem to be loading up on old players, with Kidd(39 + DUI), Camby(38), and now Thomas(40), with a possibility of adding Grant Hill(39). For one year that might be OK, but year two & three will get ugly.

The contract would put the Knicks into luxury tax hell, so the true cost is much much higher when you consider that. The Knicks seem to be loading up on old players, with Kidd(39 + DUI), Camby(38), and now Thomas(40), with a possibility of adding Grant Hill(39). For one year that might be OK, but year two & three will get ugly.

It's interesting that the guys on 5 on 5, poo-poo the salary concerns saying: A. The outside revenue that Lin would generate would pay for the luxury tax. B. The Knicks can trade Lin after the first two years of the contract and escape the tax. Whichever way it goes, I have all the confidence that Dolan will make the worst decision possible....

It's interesting that the guys on 5 on 5, poo-poo the salary concerns saying: A. The outside revenue that Lin would generate would pay for the luxury tax. B. The Knicks can trade Lin after the first two years of the contract and escape the tax. Whichever way it goes, I have all the confidence that Dolan will make the worst decision possible....

According to the NY Post, the cap hit would amount to about $38Mil for year three. It's quite possible he could generate enough revenue to offset the luxury tax. A trade maybe, as it would be an expiring contract and those have value to teams looking for cap room.

What the Knicks need is someone who will keep the ball out of Antony's hands. Once he gets hold of the ball, everyone else may just as well go back down the court and get the defense set up.

Ball hog extraordinaire.

I just knew Dolan would make the worst decision possible....

Jim Dolan just made one of the dumbest moves of his basketball life, which is saying a mouthful. The owner of the New York Knicks, who has spent years wearing a "Kick Me" sign on his back, just kicked out the Madison Square Garden door a promising 23-year-old point guard, a player who averaged 18 points and eight assists the one time someone in the NBA decided to start him instead of fire him....

Rest of the story

Jim Dolan just made one of the dumbest moves of his basketball life, which is saying a mouthful. The owner of the New York Knicks, who has spent years wearing a "Kick Me" sign on his back, just kicked out the Madison Square Garden door a promising 23-year-old point guard, a player who averaged 18 points and eight assists the one time someone in the NBA decided to start him instead of fire him....

Rest of the story

Or you could say that Houston grossly overpaid for an average PG. I just think people like grousing. Lin has some skills but he is hardly the best or even fifth best player at his position.

Rest of the story

Or you could say that Houston grossly overpaid for an average PG. I just think people like grousing. Lin has some skills but he is hardly the best or even fifth best player at his position.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 20-7-6 for the season, and that's not too bad. If he does do those numbers, he can easily be traded in the third year.

Edited by Matthew

Rest of the story

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect 20-7-6 for the season, and that's not too bad. If he does do those numbers, he can easily be traded in the third year.

Perhaps, though I really think opposing teams will be able to "figure out" Lin and keep him from making such of an impact, and that was particularly true had he stayed with the Knicks (who strike me as fairly predictable when Carmelo is on the floor). Maybe it was a mistake, but certainly not the worst decision Dolan has ever made (the last 4 or 5 trades prior have a lot to do with why the Knicks would be in a luxury tax situation in the first place). I'm just saying, let's have some perspective.

Here's an article that says that Lin's value to the Rockets is that he can carry on the popularity the team enjoyed in China because of Yao Ming. Apparently the team made a lot of money from the Chinese market because of Yao.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/18/goodbye-linsanity-knicks-let-lin-walk/?page=all#pagebreak

Here's an article that says that Lin's value to the Rockets is that he can carry on the popularity the team enjoyed in China because of Yao Ming. Apparently the team made a lot of money from the Chinese market because of Yao.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/18/goodbye-linsanity-knicks-let-lin-walk/?page=all#pagebreak

I read an estimate that Lin has already made over $100 million for Dolan. When Linsanity hit, MSG network(owned by Dolan) was off Time-Warner's cable offerings due to a dispute over fees paid to MSG. T-W's customers, largely in Manhattan, were quite miffed at not being able to see Linsanity, and the pressure forced T-W's hand and resulted in a major increase in fees paid to MSG.

• 2 weeks later...