NBA 2012

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NBA officiating

I watch the Lakers from preseason to postseason every year and I have since I was a kid. I typed this up earlier this year in an attempt to show how NBA officials will make the game flow for one team or the other:

NBA ref's recipe for biased officiating:

1. Quick whistle for on-the-floor touch foul to stop well-developing offensive play by the team you're cheating. Ball on the side, shot clock to 14 seconds.

2. Allow one team loads of off-the-ball contact while calling touch fouls on the team you wish to lose.

3. Get team you wish to win into the bonus as quickly as possible, preferably at the expense of a crucial starter for the team you're cheating.

4. Give any questionable out-of-bounds tip to the team you wish to win.

5. Just invent a travel call here and there against the team you wish to screw. Fouls can easily be construed as travels too, you know. Players stagger when someone lands on them.

6. Call illegal defense out of the clear blue sky to stop a run by the team you're cheating.

7. Obvious hacking fouls in the paint can easily be made into a no-call, or a jump ball.

8. The team you wish to win can reach in without consequence on any drive. It's a turnover!

9. There's no such thing as an over-the-back rebounding foul for the team you wish to win. The slightest contact from the team you're screwing is a loose-ball foul.

10. Technical fouls can be issued at any time for the slightest argument from the team you're cheating. Players on the team you wish to win can literally scream at you and spike the ball off the floor without catching it and it isn't a T.

It's a little more subtle than that, but it's still obvious to the trained eye when the officials are controlling the game. They'll even the calls out toward the end of a quarter after they've already decided the general score.

The majority of this perfectly describes why I pretty much stopped watching the NCAA tournament several years ago. By the way, you build up the ticky-tack touch fouls early in the game, on the better players on the (west coast; or underdog) team you're screwing.

JH hasn't played a second of the finals

I bet if Miami wins big he will be on the court at the end

Wonder will this change people's view of the Fab 5?

Prob not its too late

It wouldn't change mine (and I'm a UM alum). As you say, he contributed essentially nothing to this series. He's basically just along for the ride.

Re: NBA officiating

I watch the Lakers from preseason to postseason every year and I have since I was a kid. I typed this up earlier this year in an attempt to show how NBA officials will make the game flow for one team or the other:

NBA ref's recipe for biased officiating:

1. Quick whistle for on-the-floor touch foul to stop well-developing offensive play by the team you're cheating. Ball on the side, shot clock to 14 seconds.

2. Allow one team loads of off-the-ball contact while calling touch fouls on the team you wish to lose.

3. Get team you wish to win into the bonus as quickly as possible, preferably at the expense of a crucial starter for the team you're cheating.

4. Give any questionable out-of-bounds tip to the team you wish to win.

5. Just invent a travel call here and there against the team you wish to screw. Fouls can easily be construed as travels too, you know. Players stagger when someone lands on them.

6. Call illegal defense out of the clear blue sky to stop a run by the team you're cheating.

7. Obvious hacking fouls in the paint can easily be made into a no-call, or a jump ball.

8. The team you wish to win can reach in without consequence on any drive. It's a turnover!

9. There's no such thing as an over-the-back rebounding foul for the team you wish to win. The slightest contact from the team you're screwing is a loose-ball foul.

10. Technical fouls can be issued at any time for the slightest argument from the team you're cheating. Players on the team you wish to win can literally scream at you and spike the ball off the floor without catching it and it isn't a T.

It's a little more subtle than that, but it's still obvious to the trained eye when the officials are controlling the game. They'll even the calls out toward the end of a quarter after they've already decided the general score.

The majority of this perfectly describes why I pretty much stopped watching the NCAA tournament several years ago. By the way, you build up the ticky-tack touch fouls early in the game, on the better players on the (west coast; or underdog) team you're screwing.

to my eyes, NBA officiating is barely one step above the WWE, and has been for a long long time.

But he still has value guys. What you don't know is that when in practice he plays as ferocious opposition team.. He has been and still is a tireless worker. :tophat:

Most people still expect to judge players by what they see on the court. (They say similar things about Scalabrine's hidden value (not so much about him being ferocious). To which I respond, it sure seems hidden to me.)

Be that as it may, even if JH gets a ring (as it seems pretty likely he will), it won't change the general view of the Fab 5 as flashy underachievers.

JH hasn't played a second of the finals

I think he's still resting from the shock of being thrust into a starting role for the Blazers in 2009-10. ;)

He signed on for a "paltry" million and probably figured he'd be playing 7-10 minutes tops, which is what his role had been the previous 3 seasons. Instead Greg Oden goes down, Pryz, as did all (but 1) other C & PF options. Lo & behold Juwan starts from about Christmas through mid-February, and even after that is putting in 20-25 minutes. It was pretty remarkable actually. He worked hard for that million!