An opportunity to say thanks

...a special tribute must be made here to Jim R, with whom I exchanged the craziest of e-mails for a number of years and I regretfully let fall by the wayside. I mean, the guy sent me another hilarious e-mail at Christmas and I *still* have yet to respond!

Yeah, but you sent me a card- with a photo, and I didn't. I'll be buying some Christmas cards soon... you can probably expect one some time in June.

Some fiend I am!

See, I know that wasn't a typo. That's how astute I am.

But if you've never conversed with Jim R, imagine having an e-mail conversation with Paul Desmond and you get the idea!

Wow, I don't think I could hang with that kind of company. Maybe Paul Desmond with a lobotomy.

All seriousness aside, 'tis a wonderful gesture to have started this thread, Al. Just the sort of gesture I would have expected from you, in fact.

I didn't get hooked up to the web until 1998, but JCS was one of the first sites I visited regularly. The lack of moderation; "the chair"; DEEP vs Steve Reynolds... what a wild place it was. On the other hand, you had some thoughtful and sane people there to balance things out (Lon and Ron Thorne come immediately to mind).

Thanks to a great group of guys and gals (too bad there aren't more gals that have stuck around, btw) who have made this a great place to hang for the last nine years. [NINE years? Who celebrates a NINE year anniversary? Another goofball move by Rearick. :rolleyes: ]

:P

Edited by Jim R

I've been here since day one ( I think) . all though I don't post as frequently as some I visit many times each day. This place is often enlightening , quietly humorous and the only place I visit with regularity. I guess I'm a low key frequent user.

I'm so proud that I'm member number 51 and I'm so grateful you have welcomed me back. :)

Where do you see your member number? We're glad you are back AB.

It used to be in the left-hand column, under the avatar. Jim removed the member numbers years ago.

Just curious: anyone date back to Jazz Central Station or the rec.music (.bluenote) list, circa 1990? Yeah, I'm a geezer.

I date back to the Jazz Central Station days and to the Jazz Online days.

My join date here is February of 2004, so I'm a geezer too, BeBop.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I date back to the Jazz Central Station days and to the Jazz Online days.

Ah yes, JOL. I remember two different board software designs there. I'm trying to remember all the jazz message boards I visited between '98 and '03. Somebody help me out if I forget any (likely to happen)...

Jazz Central Station (JCS)

Jazz Online (JOL)

Blue Note Bulletin Board

Jazz Corner

Verve Message Board

52nd Street Jazz board

A Great Day In Harlem (?)

A&M Records board (90% Sergio Mendes discussion)

All About Jazz

Organissimo (almost forgot that one)

Edited by Jim R

The old BNBB was the first internet board I ever joined. I think I had recently purchased the Hank Mobley Mosaic set and was doing research to try and track down some of his harder to find CDs, that search led me to the BNBB and the rest is history.

To be totally honest, some have disappeared that well, don't disappoint me completely. For example, I'm so glad we have a "What are you reading" thread rather than a "What is your latest tome" thread...

Oh c'mon Mark if either one of us lived in NY, we'd be shelling out ducats left and right.

:g

• 1 month later...

To be totally honest, some have disappeared that well, don't disappoint me completely. For example, I'm so glad we have a "What are you reading" thread rather than a "What is your latest tome" thread...

Oh c'mon Mark if either one of us lived in NY, we'd be shelling out ducats left and right.

:rofl: Oh, how I miss those!

And I just realized I've been posting under the same handle from day one, from JCS thru BNBB to here, with the occasional sidetrack at AAJ. (I did a trade with a guy years ago who happened to be local; can't remember who it was but when we met for the trade, he said "Wow, you're not very big!" I LOL'd before that became an acceptable acronym!) Never did the JOL thing (at least, I can't remember ever doing so). But I do remember the Verve board for the two or three days that it was open! :)

So, did I not forget any?

I forgot.... :shrug[1]: