Max Roach live in Amsterdam

Gheorghe

Yesterday I purchased a rare Max Roach album, recorded in Amsterdam in 1977 with the great quartet Roach had during the late 70´s: Max Roach, Cecil Bridgewater, Billy Harper, Reggie Workman. It has two extended versions of "It´s Time" and "Call of Wild/Peaceful Heart".

Brings beautiful memories back, since I´ve seen that quartet in 1978 and it was one of my greatest live concerts I ever saw. I still remember every aspect of it, of course they also played that ultra-fast version of "It´s Time" and the really great Billy Harper composition "Peaceful Heart", along with an extended version of "Round Midnite" in 3/4 time, which I never saw on record.....

To see Max Roach at the peak of his career and virtuosity was one of the most exiting moments in my lifelong love-affair with jazz. That quarted with Billy Harper and Reggie Workman, and one year later replaced by Odeon Pope and Calvin Hill.....

The album (LP) is an expensive japanese LP, it was almost new, completly unused, the label something obscure (Baystate or something like that). There were so many small labels during the late 70´s.

Maybe I should have postet that topic in the "Vinyl Front" but I hope it will be accepted here, since it´s not about the vinyl, it´s about the music.

Didn´t know there are two more volumes from Tokyo.

As you said it: Best heard live. That´s the main reason I purchased it. To catch Max Roach live was like a dream that becomes true.

I remember very well, that I just came back to town after some time away from home and on august 31 Art Farmer played at a club, and in walked Max, we all hoped he might sit in but didn´t, for contractual reasons I suppose. Art Farmer was great, but the next day at "Kongresshaus" was even more exiting. Though the acoustics were lousy, the music was top, Art Farmer also was there in the audience and Max announced him from stage.

It was such a great time...

I was also fortunate to see that group (w/Calvin Hill), at the Keystone Korner in '77. It was my first exposure to Billy Harper and have been a HUGE fan ever since. I have a copy of "The Loadstar", but this album must be great, too.

Somehow, whatever material exists of this group needs to get released ... hel-loooooooo, Mosaic???

On 3/6/2012 at 1:28 AM, BFrank said:
Somehow, whatever material exists of this group needs to get released ... hel-loooooooo, Mosaic???

I've never been clear about what the complete discography of Max Roach leader-dates with Billy Harper really comes to. I know there's a Horo (a double LP, I believe), and one or two other dates I don't know any of the details of. Have any ever been released on CD?

What does the complete "Roach/Harper" discography look like?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The list would include the following albums:

- Lift every Voice and Sing (Atlantic)

- Nommo (Victor Japan)

- Live in Tokyo, vol. 1 and 2 (Denon)

- The Loadstar (Horo)

- Live in Amsterdam (BayState)

- Confirmation (Fluid, France)

Looks like the Victor, Horo and Fluid were not reissued on CD.

- Nommo (Victor Japan)

- The Loadstar (Horo)

Lift Every Voice is the only one of these I have. Are all the rest piano-less quartet recordings? - and who are the trumpter(s)?

Are all the rest piano-less quartet recordings? - and who are the trumpter(s)?

The rest are all piano-less quartets.

Cecil Bridgewatr is on trumpet on all of them.

Reggie Workman is on bass on all of them except on 'Confirmation' which has Calvin Hill on bass!

I sold my Nommo. Sadly, with overflowing shelves some things had to go. I still have the Baystate, Denons an Horo issues which at the time seemed to be sufficeint.

Harper has THE SOUND. Luckily was able to get a his Japanese vinyl when they came out.

- Nommo (Victor Japan)

- The Loadstar (Horo)

There is also a quite nice tape circulating of a concert in Milan on May 4, 1978. It was a hell of a band!

I think I have to make efforts to get some of that 1977-78 live material. I don´t know why I didn´t purchase the "Loadstar" (Horo)when it came out. Now it´s too late. I´m glad I got that "Amsterdam" at least. I love the way Max plays the drums, I love that pianoless quartet with Billy Harper and Cecil Bridgewater. I liked Reggie Workman more than Calvin Hill, though I got some very fine Calvin Hill on a 1982 album "In the Light" , that´s the quartet with Odeon Pope. Very nice album too.

But I think, a year later Roach had replaced Calvin Hill with an electric bass player "Tyrone Brown" if my memorie´s ok.

You say, there is an album "Confirmation". Never heard about that, but Max must have had an affinity to that tune, since one tune from the stuff with fiddles (double quartet) was based on the chord progressions of Confirmation, as I noticed then.....

I just sent an email to Mosaic about our discussion and included the discography that Brownie put together. Considering the variety of labels and difficulty obtaining rights from them, I doubt it would be possible for them to pull it off. But the idea is out there, anyway ...

I also suggested that maybe there's some additional unreleased material that is controlled by the Roach estate or Billy himself that they could add to the mix.

• 8 years later...

My copy states it was recorded at 'The Jazzhaus'  in Amsterdam. Searching on google for this venture does not give any real results. Did this place actually exist or are they referring to the Bimhuis?  

Edit: the back cover says Jazzhus was Dutch jazz collective. But where did they operate? Was it the Bim?

Edited by Pim

The Max Roach Quartet played in the Bimhuis that day (they have a great archive)

https://www.bimhuis.nl/en/calendar/max-roach-quartet-2/

A JazzHaus initiative existed in (my home town of) Cologne in the  80s and 90s (and maybe still - but it's less high profile). All references to "Jazzhaus" in the Dutch press (delpher.nl) refer to that one (mostly in connection with reporting what's on German radio). All references to "Jazzhus" are to "Jazzhus Monmartre" in Denmark. And, finally, here, hope the link works, is an article about the opening of the BIM-huis in 1974, calling it the first Dutch "jazzhuis"

• 2 months later...
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2012 at 7:56 PM, John L said:

There is also a quite nice tape circulating of a concert in Milan on May 4, 1978. It was a hell of a band!

.. Here is a Live Tv-video of a jazz-session from the city of..: Milano. In case I can 'search' if there is any 'Live-Taped' concert of the..:May 4* 1978 , from the same city in Milano,.

MAX ROACH.,dr 4t,, Live al Teatro ''Ciack'' Milano.,1986.,- Cecil Bridgewater.,tr.+.Odean Pope.,sax.+.Tyron Brwon,cb.. 1*pt ,+, 2*pt., 6* Marzo .,1986 , t.67,,vd,1194.,2..,

-  ,,  ,,  -

-

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 6:41 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

.. Sorry.,!, but there ia great , great  mistakes about the plase.,!!,. This  is ,,NOT,, the country showed in the 'front-screen ,Norway 1977'.. This ,,ROMA,, in Italy and I was there as young 'student' seated next-close to the 'drums-set' of..: Max Roach,.!!Hààhàhàhà..,-

-  ,,  ,,  -