Remastered Woody Shaw

Hardbopjazz

There's some discussion in this thread:

Sound is quite good. I wouldn't say that the sound is markedly better than the Mosaic or Columbia cds, different than the Mosaic, maybe a bit better. I've been told that the albums here that were put out by Wounded Bird sound quite improved in this set compared to the Wounded Bird versions.

There is one additional hour (on a separate disc) of previously unreleased live material in the set, from the same shows as "Stepping Stone." Ands very good performances.

Edited by jazzbo

In the box set itself, those remixing credits are paired with the original recording engineer credits, and are listed in the credits for the individual lps/sessions. I think they may well represent re-mixing done for the original release, and not necessarily for the box set.

But maybe. Interestingly in all but one instance I think the remix engineer and recording engineer are the same individual.

Edited by jazzbo

In the box set itself, those remixing credits are paired with the original recording engineer credits, and are listed in the credits for the individual lps/sessions. I think they may well represent re-mixing done for the original release, and not necessarily for the box set.

BTW, this is the daily special at PopMarket, $44.99 with free shipping, until noon. Grabbed me one.

Isn't the extra live disc all (or practically all) standards?

I love Woody -- he's near the very top of my all-time-favorites list of trumpeters, maybe 2nd only to Miles -- but I have to confess that his treatment of standards are often hit-n-miss for me.

If the extra disc is all or mostly standards, I think I may have to be content with my Mosaic and the expanded Stepping Stones (which I have both on CD and LP).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Isn't the extra live disc all (or practically all) standards?

I love Woody -- he's near the very top of my all-time-favorites list of trumpeters, maybe 2nd only to Miles -- but I have to confess that his treatment of standards are often hit-n-miss for me.

If the extra disc is all or mostly standards, I think I may have to be content with my Mosaic and the expanded Stepping Stones (which I have both on CD and LP).

Good question. I can not figure out how to get the track listings from the Popmarket site.

Has anyone figured this out?

Disc 3 is the "bonus disc" in the set.

Here's the track list:

It All Comes Back to You

Watership Down

Solar

On Green Dolphin Street

Days of Wine and Roses

The first is an original by Onaje, and I'm not sure I'd consider "Watership Down" a standard,but the remaining three certainly are.

Edited by jazzbo

I'd love to have the extra live tracks but I have the Mosaic and Legacy cd. Can't really justify the expense.

That sums up my conclusion too. The LP and CD Mosaic sets will suffice !

The capitalist in me sold off the Mosaic a number of years ago after CBS reissued Rosewood. I figured the rest would be reissued in short order, and boy was I wrong. Same thing on the Larry Young Mosaic.

It's funny, there's no standard as to what "standard" really means. You got "standards", "jazz standards", "jazz originals", on and on.

And when something gets lyrics..."Stain Doll" falls into all categories!

It's a much-misused term. Jazz critics have a habit of referring to any song from outside jazz as a standard, even if it's relatively obscure. Another popular misnomer is "showtune". I'd say a standard is any song that gets performed so often that everybody recognises it.

(Stain Doll? There are some mucky lyrics for that one ;) )

I have the Mosaic set, but I caved and ordered this one too. I couldn't resist hearing some of the additional 'Stepping Stones' material. I've always suspected there was more stuff from those gigs lying around, and even with this release I'm betting there's still more. I want to hear it, and I don't care if he's playing standards or not....the Woody Shaw quintet of that time (Shaw, Jefferson, Onaje , Houston, and Lewis) was a nasty, scary, inspiring thing....

bigtiny