Is Paul Bley Retired?

Justin V

I understand perfectly where you're coming from, and it is indeed a matter of personal musical taste. But I do suspect the Surman of the trio with Phillips and Martin would have been a better match for Bley--I'd love to hear what he might have sounded like with Altschul & Bley in 1970.

I recently got hold of FOOTLOOSE ! and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite piano trio record.

post-16014-0-88613000-1333027838_thumb.j

The recording quality is so-so, the piano sounds a little out of tune, but Bley, Steve Swallow and Pete La Roca are... somewhere else, digging in, at once fiercely swinging, deeply lyrical, in & out & in again - "sort of like Ahmad Jamal with certain kind of drugs" (said long time admirer Keith Jarrett...).

Ethan Iverson (Bad Plus pianist and keen jazz commentator) does a great job of describing the record, its players and influence:

http://destination-out.com/?p=576

• 1 month later...

I've been revisiting some of the Paul Bley Steeplechase recordings lately - Questions, Paul Plays Carla, Reality Check, Notes on Ornette. These are all wonderful trio albums. However, since I hadn't listened to them for a long time, I was surprised at how closely they resemble ECM recordings in terms of where their sound lives.

Maybe Nils Winther is in on the conspiracy?

Universal Canada released all the Haden music from that week out previously on Verve in a box set that I highly recommend for people that don't already have this stuff. Not a wasted minute across five CDs.

I have 6 or 7 cd's. I don't think the set with Pat Metheny was released.

Universal Canada released all the Haden music from that week out previously on Verve in a box set that I highly recommend for people that don't already have this stuff. Not a wasted minute across five CDs.

The Montreal Tapes - 6CD set (released 2009 by Universal France)

Picked it up via Ebay a couple of years back (was much cheaper then)

Indeed, the Metheny set was not included here

Best prices now are via Amazon France or Canada

The Montreal Tapes - 6CD set (released 2009 by Universal France)

Picked it up via Ebay a couple of years back (was much cheaper then)

Indeed, the Metheny set was not included here

Best prices now are via Amazon France or Canada

Yes, the 7th cd is the duo with Egberto Gismonti released by ECM:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/in-montreal-r542239

I think there were some legal hangups with the Metheny set. Wish they could be worked out.