Unreleased Mingus

ElginThompson

From Charles Mingus Facebook page:

NEVER BEFORE HEARD MINGUS RECORDINGS SOON TO BE RELEASED!! Part 2 of Mingus's 1964 Town Hall Concert with Eric Dolphy and Part 2 of Tyrone Guthrie concert "My Favorite Quintet." (History: Charles and I ran out of money after releasing the first half of these concerts in 1965. The tapes have been in storage ever since.) The plan is to make this music available digitally-- and perhaps in a Mosaic box set produced by Michael Cuscuna-- if there is enough interest. Please let us know! --Sue Mingus

My link

Maybe others know additional details ...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With prices like this in a dying CD market, I don't blame folks for voting for downloads. Currently...

Digital downloads (52 votes)

4 CD box set for $68 (11 votes)

6 CD box set (with additional music) for $102 (40 votes)

I don't do Facebook. I go for the 6 CD set. Funny that Sue Mingus wants to issue the second part of My Favorite Quintet when the first part has not yet been issued on CD. <_<

While on the subject of Mingus. Just seen on German Amazon: The Metropole Orchestra "A Tribute To The Music Of Charles Mingus" concert recorded for Dutch radio is to be issued on a 2 CD set tittled: Better Get Hit In Your Soul. Highly recomended I was there and it was a superb concert. :tup :tup :tup

No Facebook here, either... sounds kind of clear to me that the FB crowd would mostly endorse DLs, but the others aren't heard there... if it comes out on CD, I won't hesitate! Biggest and baddest possible sounds great to me! (Where's that box with all the 1964 European tour concerts, anyway?!)

What about the actual "My Favorite Quintet"? One of the most elusive Mingus albums, for sure... would it be included as well? And the well-known part of the Town Hall concert, too? Would be kind of pointless to not include the entire recordings in a box!

I'd actually not mind a digital download for the music if it was FLAC, and if hard copy full-service sent-to-my-house annotation was available as a part of the deal.

But only if.

I agree re: the downloads but am not so concerned on the liners (a pdf would work for me).

I'm not on Facebook either but emailed stating my preference and received a "Thank You" from Sue within a couple of minutes!

I'd actually not mind a digital download for the music if it was FLAC, and if hard copy full-service sent-to-my-house annotation was available as a part of the deal.

But only if.

I agree re: the downloads but am not so concerned on the liners (a pdf would work for me).

I'm not on Facebook either but emailed stating my preference and received a "Thank You" from Sue within a couple of minutes!

Yeah, same here. Pretty wild! I went ahead and replied to her email that I thought the best strategy was Mosaic first, then digital download in 3-5 years.

I'm too lazy to do it, but someone could set up a similar poll here and email her the results in a month. It definitely would be more representative of potential buyers than Facebook.

Edited by ejp626